Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 16 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63402 Topics
443276 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#25845 - 02/22/04 11:19 PM Re: There really is a lot of pain
wrangler Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
Thanks for your replies. It is impossible to say how much they mean to me.

These days it is very hard for me to take the time to write about what is happening to me. I can sit for hours watching television or playing a computer game just to keep my mind occupied. I was taking an anti-depressant a few months ago and it did seem to help with that a little. But then I ran out and never made it to the pharmacy to get a refill. Now I feel guilty. I have not told my therapist about this because I do not want to be scolded, but that is starting to become a barrier. I say to myself, “I should just go get a refill and start taking them again,” but I never do.

I know that I have some depression in the clinical sense… It is too hard to get the motivation to do new things. All the normal coping things are plenty easy, and I suppose it is fortunate, in a way, that work is one of those. I have had financial problems in the past, and I know they can drag me down fast. But work, television, and the computer are just things that seem to numb my mind. My therapist calls it “crashing.” I thing I understand what she means because when I spend a day doing these things I have such a hard time falling asleep. I cannot seem to quiet down inside and so I toss and turn until the wee hours and then I am exhausted the next day. There are other things that are relaxing that do not seem to be so much like crashing. The biggest is reading. I have some of the books recommended here along with some others, and when I spend time reading those I start to feel more in touch with myself.

Coming to this list and writing is also good for me, even though it is hard to do. It is sad that there are people out there that can identify with me, but it is also reassuring. It has been said a thousand times here and it is so true… the sorts of things that we have to deal with make us feel so isolated and alone. Even marriage was not enough to break my isolation. I know that I am coming up on that part of recovery where I have to focus more on my life now and less on the past. That is not to say that I am done with the past, just that it is time to start giving energy to today. That to is hard for me. It is exhausting spending time with other people.

This week a very close friend of mine had a small stroke and was hospitalized. He is fine now and there is no permanent damage. But the thing that really gets to me is my own feelings during this. In fact, I had no feelings at all. In a sort of intellectual sense I did not want anything bad to happen to him. But I did not feel any fear or concern or anxiety or hope even though I knew those feelings were appropriate. It was awful to feel nothing… I wondered how I could even call him a friend, this being my emotional response to his crisis. This is not a new thing for me either, and it is not limited to the sad things in life. When my wife did great things in law school she would be so happy, but I could not seem to be happy with her. It is as if sharing an emotion with someone else it the most dangerous thing in the world.

My childhood abuse lasted a long time… from when I was fifteen until twenty-one or so. In some ways it seems like it happened yesterday and in others like it happened ten lifetimes ago. I have largely suppressed the traumatic elements, but then these situations like my friend in the hospital drag some of them up to the conscious. I can actually remember the experience of losing trust in the abuser (we were close friends prior to abuse). For years I let him abuse me while I hoped he would stop and be my friend again, but that never happened.

This doesn’t seem like any way to end a post, but I feel like I should probably stop.

#25846 - 02/23/04 03:02 PM Re: There really is a lot of pain
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
wrangler - please get the anitdepressant - if your therapist scolds you then he is not a good therapist - or at least tell him FIRST that you fear he will scold you - if he persists in scolding you then - hasta la vista - he is not for you -

i can hear the depression - the antidepressant will help you - it willhelp lift your mood enough for you to catch what thought proccesses you go through to start ruminatinng on the negative stuff -

this is important - value yourself enough to help yourself -

we value you -

mgb

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#25847 - 02/23/04 03:05 PM Re: There really is a lot of pain
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
your note really tells so much of what i have experienced -

are you on any ant- anxiety like lamictal?

this can help as well -

it is hard work to get better - you can do it !:-)

day to day - friend -

mgb

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#25848 - 02/23/04 07:39 PM Re: There really is a lot of pain
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Wrangler,

The pain is there because the wound is there. The pain is real. The wound is real.

I don't have much to say, but, you have my wishes that the pain goes away and is replaced by joy.

Bill

#352543 - 02/01/11 01:24 PM Re: There really is a lot of pain [Re: markgreyblue]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
Mr. Whiskers so glad that u have shown back up.

I am glad to get in touch with you now.

Hugs

MJ

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.