Newest Members
andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm, Jennifer Lyons
12251 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63106 Topics
441313 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#258169 - 10/26/08 08:28 PM .
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by ttoon (11/16/08 10:56 AM)

#258184 - 10/26/08 09:33 PM Re: A story, on the public side...because I screwed up [Re: ttoon]
endlessjourney Offline

Loc: Cincinnati Ohio
I liked the story. Your sense of humor made the story all the more amusing.

I guess we all have callouses. Sometimes these choices that you speak of are hard because we are so used to making the old ones that we did in our past. Remember, as children, in certain circumstances we did not have a choice. We were told what to do, think, believe, and how to feel. Now its different. We are learning to make our own choices. Those that are good for us and not self destructive.

Well written story by the way.

Jason

Truth is the very reason we strive to live. It surrounds and resides within us. Accepting the truths we already know and seeking out those we do not is a direct path to inner balance and joy. For life is not a means to an end, but a journey. Life comes and goes but the truth will always live on.

#258185 - 10/26/08 09:46 PM Re: A story, on the public side...because I screwed up [Re: endlessjourney]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by ttoon (11/16/08 10:56 AM)

#258216 - 10/27/08 12:41 AM Re: A story, on the public side...because I screwed up [Re: ttoon]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
TToon,

Here is another story.

My brother Scott who is the middle child out of five never seem to have any fear or sense.
And he would do just about anything you asked him to do.
One night Scott,Guy,and I where in their room building a tent with a sheet from one of their bunk bed. We tucked the sheet under the top mattress and stretcked out it so that it was like net. We told Scott to climb up and jump into the sheet which would catch him. He climb up the bed and proceed to dive into the sheet. Whereupon him and the sheet fell to the floor where he struck his head on the desk and cut his scaple open.
Another time we were in the living room horsing around and we told him to climb up and dive off the table. Which he promptly did, landing on his head and once again cutting open his scaple.
Scott was always really good at anything he has ever tried to do because he never allowed fear to stop him from trying or trying again.
I have always admired that about him.

MIKE

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#258219 - 10/27/08 01:02 AM Re: A story, on the public side...because I screwed up [Re: michael banks]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Did you see that callous covering my belly on top of Pikes Peak in my "high-altitude driving" skit on the member art forum? I have been trying to lose that thing ever since I quit abusing coke almost 9 years ago, and I am still trying.

Yes, I do believe that you are right. That whole drained, unfeeling, lack of caring or empathy thing is one of the symptoms that eventually you will learn to conquer and someday reverse as you continue with your recovery.

Keep on trying, Dave,

Mark

#258220 - 10/27/08 01:09 AM Re: A story, on the public side...because I screwed up [Re: ttoon]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ttoon
In conversation, with my therapist, I was reminded of how often in my adult life I am perceived as cold or unfeeling, simply because I have a high tolerance for Chaos.
How do you soften that skin though, after all of these years, lose the callus. If, of course, it is what you want to do because, recovery, to me, seems to be about choices. How I make them certainly, but too, Id like to feel as though more are available.

Dave,

That is a really neat short story and well told. With all those brothers it's easy to see where your tolerance of chaos comes from.

And you capped your story off with an application. Very good.

You would enjoy a book: The Problem of Pain By Brand and Yancey.

#258248 - 10/27/08 07:22 AM Re: A story, on the public side...because I screwed up [Re: pufferfish]
ttoon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Edited by ttoon (11/16/08 10:55 AM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.