Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
5 registered (5 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63366 Topics
443073 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#257274 - 10/23/08 08:14 PM Re: I'm SOO UNBEARABLY UNCOMFORTABLE(TRIGGER WARNING) [Re: NY Daisy]
Grunty1967b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Australia
In this thread I’ve noticed some men use the term “rape” and others don’t. I like that ‘NY Daisy says:
Quote:
Isn't any act of sex without your consent considered rape?

That’s it in one really. I think (me at least) we’ve been conditioned that rape is a term for what happens to women. Is that because the world en-masse has the view that only women can be sexually assaulted?

I recall one session with my T where I said “it feels like I was raped”. She validated my statement by saying that forced sex on anyone, regardless of gender and regardless of the acts is rape.

Calling it rape certainly makes it a more powerful (and internally impacting) declaration. Ask anyone their thoughts on rape and they will not paint a pretty picture. Tell them you know someone who was raped and watch the empathy flow. Tell them you were raped and (sadly) see a different response.

We need to call it what is was. It was rape. We were denied respect, care, nurture and love. What is meant to be a wonderful thing (sex) was turned to poison for us.

#257382 - 10/24/08 10:16 AM Re: I'm SOO UNBEARABLY UNCOMFORTABLE(TRIGGER WARNING) [Re: NY Daisy]
Georgian Offline

am new to site. Just starting to deal with the past. I'm lost. I'm in recovery from a long life of addiction, and this old stuff keeps coming up. It makes me want to use again.

#257385 - 10/24/08 10:28 AM Re: I'm SOO UNBEARABLY UNCOMFORTABLE(TRIGGER WARNING) [Re: Georgian]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Tinman1206,

Welcome to MS. I think that as you look around and read the posts from other men you'll find that you are no longer alone in what you're experiencing and consequently no longer lost.

The early stages of recovery are always disquieting and certainly leave us feeling off balance. In the begining we all just want to go and hide somewhere hoping that by doing so our core issues will go away by themselves. Unfortunately things don't work that way and using only agravates the problem.

You've found a safe place here to talk about and to talk through what it is that hurts you to men who have been there and who are willing and able to support you.

Today, you've taken the hardest step...now journey on, we'll be here for you....

#257572 - 10/24/08 09:19 PM Re: I'm SOO UNBEARABLY UNCOMFORTABLE(TRIGGER WARNING) [Re: joelRT]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Tinman1206,

My drug of choice is alcohol, but the truth is I can abuse any drug. I am your classic stuffer, and used to stuff my feelings so far inside...

Good on you finding M.S.

I've been many places, but I hold the journey inward the most sacred. (I hope eventually you do to).

Yes, you want to use. All I can say is ,"easy does it" ...and take care of yourself...!!!

Themes (Anderson,Bruford,Wakeman,Howe

island

#257697 - 10/25/08 02:11 AM Re: I'm SOO UNBEARABLY UNCOMFORTABLE(TRIGGER WARNING) [Re: 1islandboy]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Tinman1206, Hi & Welcome, you are in the right place at the right time. Yep we sure do add to our sexual abuse misery, as we try (I did try) for 21 years to drown that lost boy in alcohol, drugs or whatever. But it took an accident to get me of the alcohol, I went to AA meetings and I had a therapist for the alki, I told him what he wanted to hear, as I was trying to save my military career. But on my last therapy session as I was leaving he said to me, you know that you can't run away from yourself. Now he must have sensed something that I didn't as I haden't told him the real reason I was an alcoholic. It was my SECRET of CSA. Now I've been sober for 31 years, I've been dealing with those surfaced sexual abuse memories for a shade over 4 months. I'm in therapy, I am reading the book/guide Victims No Longer, and have spent a lot of time on chapter 5, lost childhood. I've been even deeper into my heart and soul with those long buried memories. I take the information that I receive from my friends/brothers on this web site, and these pages to heart. Here I am home, I recieve understanding, compassion and love from all. I also return their respect. So please stay with us, you will heal along with the rest of us. Besides you did tell someone about YOUR SECRET on these pages.
Please consider me your friend in healing. I wish you and the rest of us well in our healing. Maybe someday we all will find the serenity that we all deserve.

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#257702 - 10/25/08 03:11 AM Re: I'm SOO UNBEARABLY UNCOMFORTABLE(TRIGGER WARNING) [Re: petercorbett]
jggab Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I never considered what happened to me as "rape" until I started reading some of the literature. . . "Beginning to Heal", "Abused Boys". I knew things were wrong that happened to me. . . but never put a term to it. When I was reading, something clicked and I thought. . . "oh my god. . . I was raped!"
What an aweful feeling. .. it's as if it was all happening again. I never even considered the thought. . . that it was considered "rape".
Somehow. . putting a term to it just makes it seem worse. But. . . that is exactly what it was. Now I can stop wondering what was going on in this part of my life, and call it what it really was.

Jon

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.