Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
fakir (71), HelpMeHelpHim32 (41), motherstars (65)
Who's Online
2 registered (Obi, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64191 Topics
447938 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#256453 - 10/20/08 06:49 AM I need help
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
It feels good to be able to ask for help!

My dilemma is this:

My military shrink says that I had a "personality disorder" after I was attacked in the service. There have been psychological tests run before and after this pronouncement, among them a "PAI" and a "full MMPI-2 with supplemental scales" that say there was no "Personality Disorder".

I need to be able to prove that these tests conclusively show that there is NO damn "Personality Disorder"! That it is impossible to get one after being sexually attacked. I'll gladly take any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#256510 - 10/20/08 01:01 PM Re: I need help [Re: LN3(SS)]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Brian,

It seems recent rulings have made it possible for you to ask for and receive your medical records including results of tests that have been administered. You may want to pursue ways of obtaining those records. I would think the test results would speak for themselves.

I wish you the best in your quest.

Lots of love,

John

#256576 - 10/20/08 06:44 PM Re: I need help [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Brian,

I'm wondering if the psychiatrist who saw you had any experience in dealing with issues of sexual abuse. If not, he would be likely to misdiagnose the problem in all sorts of ways. Once you have your records it ought to be able to demonstrate the real issue here. But it would be crucial to see someone who actually knows CSA and has experience with male survivors.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#256603 - 10/20/08 09:55 PM Re: I need help [Re: LN3(SS)]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: LN3(SS)
My military shrink says that I had a "personality disorder" after I was attacked in the service. There have been psychological tests run before and after this pronouncement, among them a "PAI" and a "full MMPI-2 with supplemental scales" that say there was no "Personality Disorder".

I need to be able to prove that these tests conclusively show that there is NO damn "Personality Disorder"! That it is impossible to get one after being sexually attacked. I'll gladly take any suggestions.

Brian,

I am not sure of your objectives. Are you trying to prove it to the army to obtain some kind of benefit or to redeem your reputation? If so, you should find the kind of lawyer who knows how to get these MMPI records. Maybe you don't even need a lawyer. Maybe writing letters to a few well chosen places would suffice.

But then after you obtain these records how do you intend to use them? Are you going to initiate legal proceeding to obtain objectives from the army? If so then you definitely will need the right lawyer.

You have convinced me already. The MMPI records are to me excellent proof that you did not have a personality disorder. So you are going to have to have the right kind of legal advice as to how to prove it to them.

#257088 - 10/22/08 09:59 PM Re: I need help [Re: pufferfish]
thecoopstah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: massachusetts
"puffer".........you wrote
Are you trying to prove it to the army to obtain some kind of benefit or to redeem your reputation?

I know personally this young man who is ONLY looking to clear his name and not essentially labeled with a damn "personality disorder"....,amongst many other things, and prove the military violated him and held accountable for their cowardly actions.

"puffer" i am addressing you with the utmost respect but i feel as though your question, as innocent as it is/ or might sound is rather irrelevant, afterall think about it as ALL OF US survivors we all deserve to be noticed and supported for being subjected to such horror that "B" will not soon forget.

I hope things are going as planned "B" if you need any help you know how to contact / reach me.

God bless pal.

Coop

#257785 - 10/25/08 01:52 PM Re: I need help [Re: thecoopstah]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Guys,

I appreciate all your comments.

I have the records involved. That's how I know what tests were run and what the results were. Seeing those records is a major cause of my anger. Knowing that this type of thing can be said without clinical support.

No shrink, in military or VA circles, has much experience with Military Sexual Trauma. That has been my biggest gripe for years and one that I am stuck with because that's just the way things are.

As for my objectives, pure and simple, it is just to clear my name. A lawyer wanted $10K as a retainer to take this issue. If I had a spare $10K plus whatever extra, I'd gladly pay it, but I don't.

My main thrust in asking was to see if anyone had any clues on how to begin to research the basic premise. "These tests show that there is no Personality Disorder."

Sorry to take up the space on the board.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#257791 - 10/25/08 02:12 PM Re: I need help [Re: thecoopstah]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: thecoopstah
"puffer".........you wrote
Are you trying to prove it to the army to obtain some kind of benefit or to redeem your reputation?

I know personally this young man who is ONLY looking to clear his name and not essentially labeled with a damn "personality disorder"....,amongst many other things, and prove the military violated him and held accountable for their cowardly actions.

"puffer" i am addressing you with the utmost respect but i feel as though your question, as innocent as it is/ or might sound is rather irrelevant, afterall think about it as ALL OF US survivors we all deserve to be noticed and supported for being subjected to such horror that "B" will not soon forget.

Thank you Coop for calling this to my attention.

Yes, now that I read the post again I see that I hadn't quite caught the drift of it. Please accept my apologies.

#265187 - 12/04/08 11:27 AM Re: I need help [Re: pufferfish]
ricmar00 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Much kudos for asking for help. It is, as you obviously know, a sign of strength not weakness.

Brian,
I would not let this issue consume me, as this can become a distraction from other areas of healing. However, I think getting the inaccurate label removed is a worthwhile pursuit psychologically, symbolically, and from a healing standpoint. In addition, even though you may not be thinking of this today, it can also have VA/DOD/Social security and civil consequences to have an inappropriate diagnosis. Effects that may be more difficult to prove with every year that passes. I am in no way cyber-diagnosing or un-diagnosing you. Nevertheless, here are some things to think about.

The Personality Disorder diagnosis is used to indicate/suggest, “Who you, at your core, are,” with usually little suggestion of why (i.e., etiology). On the other hand, diagnoses like PTSD, adjustment, depression, anxiety, etc., suggest that the individual’s current presentation is a departure from “who they are or were,” therefore suggesting that something went wrong (i.e., trauma, stress, biology, life, your service experiences, and/or abuse.) With a personality disorder, the etiology is generally assumed to have been genetic predisposition or the collective experiences of your formative years. In some cases, PD is thought to be the result of significant, usually negative, experiences (trauma, head injury, etc.) that occurred after personality is largely thought to be fully developed and fixed in late adolescence. This is possibly what this military psych is thinking. However, in these cases a more appropriate diagnosis is usually something like PTSD, adjustment disorder, depression, anxiety, etc. all of which have significant impact on a persons “personality,” clinical presentation and general functioning, but do not carry the stigma and poorer prognosis.

The cause of a disorder has implications for treatment, prognosis, and civil determinations (if ever you decide to seek compensation from the military or the individual(s) involved).
Having possession those evaluations you have establishes a baseline of functioning, so that even if you do (or if they maintain that you do) indeed have a personality disorder there will be evidence that you did not have it at point X, and it lends evidence as to when you got it (causality).

Hope this helps, without muddying the waters too much.

Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.
-- Helen Keller

#265206 - 12/04/08 12:56 PM Re: I need help [Re: ricmar00]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Therapist Mic Hunter has recently written a book on military sexual abuse and he is connected with Hazelden in Minnesota. Hazelden also has a NYC branch. When I was in-patient at their Center City, MN campus in the mid 1990s I was administered the MMPI several times, and the results were shared with me. You might contact Hazelden or Mic Hunter and run these questions by him. I'm sure that he would have some knowledge of your issues with the military and the recent military trend to find a psychological disorder then deny benefits or destroy reputations because of the implied disorder.

Hazelden's central switchboard can be reached at (800) 257-7800. Hope that Dr. Hunter can offer some help with this.

Ricardo: Welcome to our site. Just from your writing it looks like you have a considerable amount of therapeutic experience. Thanks for your well-reasoned and educated response. Hope that we can be of help to you too.

Mark

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.