Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, randombreeze, 2 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63231 Topics
442168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#255623 - 10/16/08 01:39 PM Does anyone know SAS? (statistics software)
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Help!

Oops... should have been more clear. SAS as in the statistical software package. LOL

Michael

Edited by M3 (10/16/08 01:59 PM)
Edit Reason: for clarification... LOL

#255624 - 10/16/08 01:52 PM Re: Does anyone know SAS? [Re: M3]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Michael,

I was told as a child that I was good at Sass.

Allen

puffer whistle

Edited by pufferfish (10/16/08 09:30 PM)

#255628 - 10/16/08 01:56 PM Re: Does anyone know SAS? [Re: M3]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Michael: The Child Sexual Abuse Accommodation Syndrome maybe?

"developed by Roland Summit, M.D. It is a simple and logical model which can be used to help in understanding and accepting the ways in which many children react to sexual abuse. The syndrome classifies the most typical reactions of child sexual abuse victims, dividing them into five categories".

I'll keep looking. Its ringing a bell from a past life.
Jim

#255635 - 10/16/08 02:49 PM Re: Does anyone know SAS? (statistics software) [Re: M3]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: M3
Help!

Oops... should have been more clear. SAS as in the statistical software package. LOL

Michael

I used it for a while in market research very lightly. My wife used it to the absolute max. She was the go-to person for fixing anything in any SAS program.

What do you need to know about it?

Still's Globs

New Video

#255639 - 10/16/08 03:45 PM Re: Does anyone know SAS? (statistics software) [Re: Still]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've got multiple data files that have mostly the same data (1700+ variables). But the experiment generating the files has been manipulated (so some files are missing 2 variables). Also, some of the measures were skipped so we are missing data and the missing data was substituted with a 99 by the software, though some of those variables are actually character fields.

I need to concatenate these files but I have two problems. Some variables are defined as character and numeric so SAS can't match them for the stacked data set. Additionally, the text fields are open ended responses so the number of characters in each response varies greatly. The software used the number of characters to set the length of the variable, so if the first response for that variable only had 14 characters, every response added after that gets truncated at 14 characters.

I think what I need to do is go through and fix the variables that are in question. That is, change them to character and set a fixed number character number so each data set matches.

Problem: I'm just learning SAS... well, not really. I used it in 1989 on a DOS machine. It's changed A LOT.

Kind of lost and frustrated and the online materials are going over my head...

mad

Michael

#255648 - 10/16/08 04:14 PM Re: Does anyone know SAS? (statistics software) [Re: M3]
Geeders Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
Like, what he said! LOL!!!!!! I'll stop looking now...

#255657 - 10/16/08 05:19 PM Re: Does anyone know SAS? (statistics software) [Re: Geeders]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is why I was a Marketing major:

Here's the guru's reply to your dilemma:

1) He can find the longest response and force that to be the first record

2) define the numerics as alphas

cant do it the other way

3) then after if they are all numeric he can go and change

chances are someone did a typo and entered a character instead of a number

4) if 99 is not a valid response...he should be able to do just some kind of a replace

enter kk or some other alpha nonsense answer to maintain the variable integrity

5) then after set those to a null

Still's Globs

New Video

#255700 - 10/16/08 11:04 PM Re: Does anyone know SAS? (statistics software) [Re: Still]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

1) He can find the longest response and force that to be the first record

Not sure if or how to do this. There are 30 some variables that are text boxes the participant types out an answer. Since the lengths are so variable, if I use one record as the first record, the first character variable may be the longest, but the next may be the shortest.

2) define the numerics as alphas

Yeah! I did figure out how to do this, but the resulting table only had the variables I changed, it didn't keep the variable that were already ok. I was doing a new_var = put(var,7) then removing the old variable and renaming the new with the old variable's name. Is this just replacing what's there? Will this lose the data in that table column?

4) if 99 is not a valid response...he should be able to do just some kind of a replace

enter kk or some other alpha nonsense answer to maintain the variable integrity

What we have to do to get the data into SAS from MediaLab is to import the .cvs files into SPSS and then export them into .dat format. If, in SPSS or SAS, I take the data file and do some sort of replace to put "KK" instead of "99", that automatically changes the variable type from numeric to character?

5) then after set those to a null

Not following this.

Been looking for The Little SAS Book but every copy of it in every local library and in the OhioLink library network across the state are all checked out! (Must be a pretty good book.)

Thanks!

Michael

#255702 - 10/16/08 11:27 PM Re: Does anyone know SAS? (statistics software) [Re: M3]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

see below

Edited by Robbie Brown (10/16/08 11:32 PM)

Still's Globs

New Video

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.