Newest Members
ShinTensei, jaklumen, Bennett, 0128, jeremywickers
12505 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Drea (31), gpdno (47), serb guy (49), Thomas8221 (60), UncleClover (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (traveler, outis, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12505 Members
74 Forums
64194 Topics
447979 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#255133 - 10/14/08 04:04 PM Upgrades!!!
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
fine upgrades are good i guess but

I noticed the spiders, ok, and noticed what they are doing, looking at peoples profiles, so i found that now if you are not even logged in you can not only view somebodies profile which you couldn't do before if you werent logged in but can see their avatar pictures, i would have liked to have been informed of that, the fact that any old person wandering about can see my picture now, havent quite decide if i will keep it up but i might, but you should have told us about that

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#255134 - 10/14/08 04:07 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: king tut]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
I will agree.

#255135 - 10/14/08 04:09 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: MrEdd]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks

and to clarify, you can also look at who is online and see what they are doing if you are not logged in, which i don't think you could do before, and although when you view their profile to see all their details you cant see their picture there, but when you go to the boards where they have posted you can see their picture

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#255136 - 10/14/08 04:11 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: king tut]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
KT

If I am not signed in or not a registered user & go to your profile page I cannot see your avatar
That is the same as before
Or am I missing something?

C

#255137 - 10/14/08 04:13 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: ineffable]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

no you are right, but when you are not signed in and you go to something i have posted you can see my avatar picture

#255138 - 10/14/08 04:14 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

and before you couldn't even go to my profile page when you were not signed in

#255139 - 10/14/08 04:14 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: king tut]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

I see that now
I think that needs to be addressed soon & hopefully it is a simple security feature that needs to be enabled

#255201 - 10/14/08 07:45 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: ineffable]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
We're finding some bumps that affect the Mod Team too and we're getting the info to the IT guys as quick as we can. As you see things that either don't work or make you feel unsafe, like what Lewis found, let us know and we'll pass it along just as fast.

#255210 - 10/14/08 08:05 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Trish4850]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

from Chat:

selecting a users name all features work except "Profile"
in other words we can Private Message, Invite & Ignore but the Profile option takes me back to the main Forum page

#255212 - 10/14/08 08:08 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: king tut]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Lewis,

Originally Posted By: king tut
i found that now if you are not even logged in you can not only view somebodies profile which you couldn't do before if you werent logged in but can see their avatar pictures, i would have liked to have been informed of that, the fact that any old person wandering about can see my picture now, havent quite decide if i will keep it up but i might, but you should have told us about that

As Trish says we will pass these concerns on to Nathan as fast as we can. When we do one of these upgrades it's rarely clear in advance how we will all be affected by each of the new features. We just have to work through the issues one by one. Please keep letting us know your concerns.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#255215 - 10/14/08 08:11 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: ineffable]
Marcus Mystery Offline
MaleSurvivor

Why does it now allow you to share your personal information?? .... like MSN, Yahoo and email address, .. is that being encouraged now?.. and what is this spiders stuff?

... :(:(:(

-edit-

you can also seen exactly which thread ppl are reading!!

Edited by Marcus Mystery (10/14/08 08:12 PM)

#255222 - 10/14/08 08:44 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: roadrunner]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

What's up with that Chat "Logger" window that pops up and gives an error whenever I go into chat....?

I can imagine a few ideas....

#255223 - 10/14/08 08:47 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: JustScott]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Just because there is option to share other contact information do not mean that people have to do it. It is same as before, that how much you share in the profile is up to you. And if you do not want people to know what thread you are reading, you can always change your setting to 'invisible' and people will not even know you are online at all.

andrei

#255225 - 10/14/08 08:51 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: ak]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

How about adding the "No Follow" tag into pages here so those spiders don't have our entire site and information searchable on every search engine out there?

#255241 - 10/14/08 09:25 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: JustScott]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
Originally Posted By: JustScott
What's up with that Chat "Logger" window that pops up and gives an error whenever I go into chat....?

That's a blank slate just for you; you can make anything you want of it.

#255271 - 10/14/08 10:29 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: JustScott]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: JustScott
How about adding the "No Follow" tag into pages here so those spiders don't have our entire site and information searchable on every search engine out there?

yeah i know, i just typed in malesurvivor JustScott into google:

The MS Discussion Board : Guy Love!!!!JustScott JustScott Member MaleSurvivor Registered: 01/27/08 Posts: 857 Loc: Central PA, Eventually I may have to get the whole thing on DVD! ...
www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=220371&page=6 - 48k - Cached - Similar pages
More results from www.malesurvivor.org »

there are lots of finds like that, and you click on it and it links to pages that you have written on directly, i guess they only link to the public side though (very amusing video by the way Scott)

or me

The MS Discussion Board : Dear GodMaleSurvivor Registered: 02/13/08 Posts: 748 Loc: UK, Dear God, ... And also, please review and keep king_tut's contract back. It's not his fault he's mad ...
https://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=224045&page=5 - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

I suppose this is so we get more traffic and reach more people i don't know, this is a new thing right? because this didn't happen before i tried before

#255275 - 10/14/08 10:49 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: king tut]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Guys,

As is noted by king tut, and as specified in the forum de>

#255279 - 10/14/08 10:56 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: WalkingSouth]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Update...

We just got word from Nathan that the "ability to view profiles has been restricted to registered users only" as of a few minutes ago.

Thanks, Nathan, for all the work you've done and are continuing to do! smile

#255293 - 10/15/08 12:01 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: WalkingSouth]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Guys,

The Spider(s) is just showing that a search engine is browsing our site. This is no different then before the upgrade, it just now let's us know it is going on. Nothing to be worried about, please continue to post any bugs you see so they can be addressed.

Nathan

#255306 - 10/15/08 12:47 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Nathan LaChine]
jggab Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
When I click on a member's profile it goes to the forum list. I assume this is another bug.

Jon

#255308 - 10/15/08 12:50 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Nathan LaChine]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Nathan
The Spider(s) is just showing that a search engine is browsing our site. This is no different then before the upgrade, it just now let's us know it is going on. Nothing to be worried about

It occurred to me through a conversation with a friend that people aren't familiar with "spiders", "crawlers", "bots" and their enormous presence on the internet. I'm a graphic artist and web programmer and have a good understanding of this kind of stuff... So just wanted to say the following:
  • Anything on the public side can and likely will be indexed by search engines.
  • Anything on the members side requires a username, password, and a paid membership to access. Thus, if you would like your posts to remain private, they must be strategically placed on the members' side. "Spiders" lack sufficient user credentials to index the information found on the members' side.
  • Keeping a spider out of MaleSurvivor is virtually impossible. Certain search engines operate spiders that ignore the usual technological commands to block or renew at certain intervals. Once a page or subpage gets indexed, it will likely be found by other crawlers via the other search engine's listing.
  • This is absolutely nothing new and has nothing to do with the new software. As Nathan notated, its no different than before. This has been the case since the dawn of the webcrawler.
  • It is up to individual users to be responsible about what they post
  • Finally, if these crawlers didn't exist, chances are many of you would never have found this place. My life has been changed here and for me it all started with a google search in December of 2006.

Nathan:
Bugs I've noticed are as follows:

• Chatroom Link missing from forum menu -- any chance we can get this back?
  • In chat, clicking a users name and selecting "profile" no longer links to the users' profile. This seems highly important to me and also others present in chat this evening.
  • When loading up the chatroom, a separate (blank popup) window appears with the following URL: http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/chat/logger.php. This window appears to have no purpose and if it is necessary perhaps should contain a java>

#255313 - 10/15/08 01:07 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: frost]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: frost
Public:HIV/AIDS forum AND Members:Spirituality and Survivors forums are both erronously set to only display topics within the last 3 months by default. All other forums are set to 'From All Dates'

All subforums on the site default to the three months option every time you access them including the subforums in the mod forum. This is nothing new as those forums did the same with the old version of the site. It's still a major bother and I wish it would get fixed.

Thanks for the info and the list, Brian smile

#255315 - 10/15/08 01:22 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: WalkingSouth]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: walkingsouth
All subforums on the site default to the three months option every time you access them including the subforums in the mod forum. This is nothing new as those forums did the same with the old version of the site. It's still a major bother and I wish it would get fixed.

Should be fixable... and Spirituality & Survivors is not a subforum so not sure why this bug would be applying to that forum but it is smile

Edited by frost (10/15/08 01:42 AM)
Edit Reason: Oompa Loompas told me so

#255317 - 10/15/08 01:53 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: frost]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Brian will continue to address these tomorrow once I get some sleep.

Nathan

#255319 - 10/15/08 01:57 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: frost]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: frost
Should be fixable... and Spirituality & Survivors is not a subforum so not sure why this bug would be applying to that forum but it is smile

I guess there's always something that breaks the rule and makes it weirder than it should be smile I've wondered why it was that way but don't have the site permissions to give it a look see.

#255335 - 10/15/08 03:53 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Nathan LaChine]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Nathan
Thanks Brian will continue to address these tomorrow once I get some sleep.

I also strongly recommend pancakes for breakfast.

Nothing quite like a carb overdose first thing in the morning.

~Bri

#255504 - 10/15/08 08:28 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: frost]
Little_E Offline
Member & Volunteer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: London UK
Quote:
Public:HIV/AIDS forum AND Members:Spirituality and Survivors forums are both erronously set to only display topics within the last 3 months by default. All other forums are set to 'From All Dates'

This has been fixed now!!

DISTUBED VISIONS OF AN UNDERWORLD!!

#255516 - 10/15/08 09:40 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Little_E]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: Little_E
This has been fixed now!!

Thanks to whomever did the fixing. smile Now can we get the subforums fixed in a likewise manner? It's getting a bit tiresome. Thanks smile

#255522 - 10/15/08 10:14 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: WalkingSouth]
Little_E Offline
Member & Volunteer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: walkingsouth
smile Now can we get the subforums fixed in a likewise manner? It's getting a bit tiresome. Thanks smile

These have been done as well now! :-)

Elliot.

DISTUBED VISIONS OF AN UNDERWORLD!!

#255533 - 10/16/08 12:00 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Little_E]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Cool Beans! smile

#255545 - 10/16/08 01:14 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: WalkingSouth]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Profiles have been fixed as well now smile

#255611 - 10/16/08 12:43 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: ineffable]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Originally Posted By: ineffable
from Chat:
selecting a users name all features work except "Profile"
in other words we can Private Message, Invite & Ignore but the Profile option takes me back to the main Forum page

yea i tried that in chat too; *sigh* alas, the only profile that will come up is my own, all the rest net me groundhog day. is this gonna be fixed? it feels really odd [and a tad creepy] to be in chat and not be able to check out 'strangers', ie, people who have different screen names that seem unfamiliar.

have a day,

ron

#255710 - 10/17/08 12:29 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Sans Logos]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Ron,

I know I know still trying to get that error corrected. It seems that bug is being a bigger pain then the other bugs to correct. I will continue to address these issue an resolve them ASAP.

Nathan

#255806 - 10/17/08 01:58 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Nathan LaChine]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

thanks nate! no hurry, just wanted to give the report of the bug i encountered.

now today there is a new bug, where the status drop down menu to the far left of the bottom does not function.

what'r you doing this weekend nate????

thanks for everything you do for and with us!

have a day good man

ron

#255807 - 10/17/08 02:01 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Sans Logos]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

never mind, i just realized that if you close that seemingly useless window that opens as you enter chat, the drop down menu is not functional.

i left chat and reentered without closing that box until i was fully logged, and then closed.

everything is working fine ! sorry!

ron

#255919 - 10/18/08 12:38 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Sans Logos]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

It's all good Ron, gee I wonder what I will be doing this weekend, ha ha ha. See yea around the boards for sure this weekend smile

#256010 - 10/18/08 11:22 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Nathan LaChine]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
YAY! The new upgrades made it easier to check PMs and stuff in "My Stuff" on your cell phone! Before you couldn't check your PM folder without someone mailing you first!

Woo!!

#256097 - 10/18/08 02:23 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: AndyJB2005]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: king tut
if you are not even logged in you can not only view somebodies profile which you couldn't do before
if you werent logged in but can see their avatar pictures

"Unregistered" users can't access our profiles but if they access threads through the forums they can still see our avatars
"Unregistered's" were unable to see them before

Is this still in the works?

C

#256169 - 10/18/08 07:31 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: ineffable]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

It is on my long long list of features/settings to correct.

Am glad this has been a simple upgrade, lol.

#256598 - 10/20/08 09:16 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Nathan LaChine]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I've noticed that the login boxes at the top right of malesurvivor.org have stopped working. My habit is to log in using those entries and the login button. Then I go to the discussion board entry in the survivors menu. Since the upgrade, that brings me to a page saying I have to be logged in, so I log in again and all seems well.

A comment on the format of the site after the upgrade: the active topics page is harder for me to read now. It used to be a simple list of subjects that was easy to scan quickly. Now the first column is the forum and the subject is mixed in with a portion of the post. I looked for a user configuration option to set this back the the simpler style, but couldn't find it. My reasoning for disliking this change is that now the active topics pages are as hard to scan as the forums themselves, so they're not really a useful shortcut.

Mike

#256632 - 10/21/08 02:47 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: mike5]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Mike for this notice I will look into the site login option, it was working fine the other day ago, back to the server logs I go......

#256711 - 10/21/08 03:15 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: Nathan LaChine]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Hi Nathan -

Noticed another new "feature"... My default is to view a thread in threaded mode, rather than flat mode. When I looked at http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=237063&an= just now, I see the hierarchical list of postings, but no message body. If I switch to flat mode, the message body(s) appear. If I switch back to threaded mode, they disappear again. In case it might help you diagnose this, I've saved a copy of the page with and without the message bodies.

Don't you love upgrades? Hope you are not stressing about all of this. I for one am very grateful for all you do to keep this site running.

Peace, Mike

#257136 - 10/23/08 07:51 AM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: mike5]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Why is it, where it list the moderaters for each forum in the forum list, it list 'Modteam' and 'roadrunner' each time multiple times? And why is there a 'Testmod' person listed as moderater for the Survivor stories forum?

#258422 - 10/27/08 09:28 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: ak]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Andrei,

Those are bugs in the system that Nathan has had to work out as webmaster; at one point I was listed four times in several forums but was unable to do basic things.

"Testmod", as I recall, was an account created by our liaison person from the software company to see how things were working as he installed the updates.

Installing an updated version of the site usually leaves Nathan with lots of work in little details scattered all over, and it takes some time to catch all those points and correct them. And when he corrects something, sometimes a feature somewhere else freezes or malfunctions. It's just something we have to be patient with while he works through everything that needs to be done.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#258430 - 10/27/08 10:20 PM Re: Upgrades!!! [Re: roadrunner]
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Andrei,

Yes the testmod is an account that I created to do beta testing for the site. It seems that even simple upgrades are not simple these days. I am glad my list has finally gone down to just a one page from three.

Nathan

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.