Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (L84, 2 invisible), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63191 Topics
441851 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254996 - 10/13/08 09:09 PM Should I Disclose To My Parents?
Zardoz Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Texas
I would like the group’s input on a question. I was sexually abused when I was 6 to 9 years old by an older boy (12 or 13 years old?) who was the son of my parents’ best friends. I have only recently been dealing with all the issues including recalling memories and the details. It is my understanding that the boy who abused me is dead (supposedly committed suicide about 10 years ago).

My parents are the only people left who have any knowledge about the abuser and the times surrounding my abuse. The abuse started when my parents left town and I was staying at their friends’ house. I really have a lot of questions I want to ask to help me fill in the gaps.

What experience has anyone had with this or a similar issue - good or bad?

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zardoz

Edited by Zardoz (10/13/08 10:44 PM)

#255004 - 10/13/08 09:27 PM Re: Should I Disclose To My Elderly Parents? [Re: Zardoz]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Zardoz, if it was me and was you, I'd leave my parents out of this. As a grown adult, your history of abuse as well as it's resolution belong to you alone inspite of whatever details your parents may be able to provide.

You state that they played no part whatever in the abuse that you suffered so why would you involve them now?

I'm sorry, Zardoz, I'm sure that this is not the answer you were looking for, but in my opinion to share with your parents at this late date in your history is an idea that will only lead to pain for them and disappointment for you.

You are an adult and as such you do not have to provide anyone with an explanation for your past behaviour. If that behaviour has caused someone harm, then certainly you have a responsabillity, born of common decency, to explain yourself, to apologize and to ask for forgiveness.

That being said, you are not beholden to reveal intimate details of your history by way of seeking exonoration.

Edited by joelRT (10/13/08 09:28 PM)

#255018 - 10/13/08 10:46 PM Re: Should I Disclose To My Elderly Parents? [Re: joelRT]
Zardoz Offline
MaleSurvivor

JoelRT,

Thank you for the response and advice. You make some excellent points well worth considering. I edited my post to make the question simpler and not clouded by my internal debate. Thanks again.

Zardoz

Edited by Zardoz (10/13/08 10:47 PM)

#255021 - 10/13/08 11:04 PM Re: Should I Disclose To My Elderly Parents? [Re: joelRT]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Zardoc,

From what you wrote your parents already know of the abuse.
You just haven't discussed it with them.
I bet that they have a pretty good idea of why you have acted the you have in the past.
In my view I think you should be able to discuss anything and everything with family members if they are willing.
I would ask to see if they are willing to talk about this issue with you.
I would suggest that you tell your story in a general matter and not get too specific in detail.
I think you might be surprised how supportive that they will be and you can use all the support you can find on your path of recovery.
But in the end you know what is best in your situation and the decision is yours.

Welcome to M/S and I wish you the best on your journey.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#255023 - 10/13/08 11:24 PM Re: Should I Disclose To My Elderly Parents? [Re: michael banks]
Davesc Offline

Loc: NJ
if your parents know, then there is no issue about talking to them. Ask away , why not. BUT if they are clueless you will have to be very careful if you do not want a million questions or do not want to make them feel guilty or afraid for you. In my life, I needed to ask my mother questions about my brother (perp) who is dead. I did not want her to know what I was going through but I wanted answers about some things in my life Time lines, etc. How old was I when we ??? It worked for me. She had no clue . Just thought I was reminiscing. Oh what fun times !!!!!
Dave

#255031 - 10/13/08 11:59 PM Re: Should I Disclose To My Elderly Parents? [Re: Davesc]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
I told my parents about the abuse because for me, not keeping it secret any longer was important. That is not true for everyone. I am very public about being a survivor.

That said, telling my parents was not easy and although they werre not the abusers, it was hard fro them because the the guilt it caused them. Overall it was not a "satisfying" experience, but I still would have told them. I am a survivor of abuse and most people who are anything more than just a casual acquaintance know that.

Just be clear on why you are disclosing and what you hope to get from it. Your parents may not be able to provide it.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#255034 - 10/14/08 12:15 AM Re: Should I Disclose To My Elderly Parents? [Re: Davesc]
G5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Zardoz,

I had a very similar situation....ages, neighbor, mom's friend, etc. I was hesitant about bringing up the topic with my Mom, but it was something I needed to do. I don't quite agree with Joel in this manner. Part of the process for me was to reveal my pain and suffering to those who care for and love me. I needed them to understand why I was suicidal, depressed, angry, even if it upset them. I expected total denial from my Mom and to have the topic brushed aside as nonsense. To my surprise, just the opposite happened. Concern and a few questions came and since then I've been able to put the blaming for lack of protection I had toward my parents aside and create a whole new relationship with my Mom and siblings. Talking about it opened up a whole new look on life within the family for me. This in a family that never talked about any personal issues, or anything for that manner.

This may be different for you. You'll have to decide what's needed for yourself and consider the possible outcomes of the discussion. Sure you could start some trouble, but could it have a positive outcome for all of you? Depends on how you approach it and what you expect as a conclusion. Sure the parents could blow you off and deny that anything happened. Are you prepared for that possibility? They could get angry and life could be hell. This is possible. Are you miserable with these questions you have? Then maybe taking the chance and asking could help you in the long run. These are things I had to consider and maybe you will also have to do. You may also need to change your time frame to accommodate others and to prepare yourself. Anythings possible, but only you can decide.

Kenf makes some good points also....

Good luck.

Chris

Edited by G5 (10/14/08 12:19 AM)
Oprah 200
PA Support Group
WoR Alta Advanced '12
"Silence Buster"

#255040 - 10/14/08 12:54 AM Re: Should I Disclose To My Parents? [Re: Zardoz]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Zardoz
I was sexually abused when I was 6 to 9 years old by an older boy (12 or 13 years old?) who was the son of my parents’ best friends. I have only recently been dealing with all the issues including recalling memories and the details. It is my understanding that the boy who abused me is dead (supposedly committed suicide about 10 years ago).

My parents are the only people left who have any knowledge about the abuser and the times surrounding my abuse.

Zardoz

What an interesting name, and your inquiry is interesting to me. In fact, I could use exactly the same words to describe abuse I experienced at the same ages. However, I experienced abuse from other perps additionally in other ages.

In addressing your question, I am wondering how old you are now, and how old are your parents. Did you go through a time of repressing the memory of the abuse, as most of us did? Did the abuse go on and on like daily over those years, or was it a few times a year? All of these things would influence the course of action you should take. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult but I'm just trying to point out all of the factors in your decision. Do you have anybody to talk it over with in person, like a counselor?

I can understand why it would seem vital to talk to your parents about this, since they knew the family and might remember the boy abuser from an adult perspective. You also sense that it would be difficult for them or else you wouldn't be asking the question as you did.

Most of the guys I know about here find it very difficult to share with parents. It is often one of the last steps in recovery. It can be quite shocking to them and it requires a complete adjustment of their memory of you and who they assumed you were. They may feel very guilty, as someone already mentioned. Sometimes parents can even be angry or rejecting, depending on who they are and what their mental construct is. I of course don't know them and what their attitudes might be. I would need to know more about them and about you.

If you do decide to share with your parents, you need to have a well devised strategy, including thinking about even the words you would use and how you might answer their questions.

If one of your main goals is to obtain information about your abuser, you have some options like checking school records. If he abused others, there might be some court records. There might even be some old newspaper articles in the archives of the local newspaper where you lived at the time. I've had tremendous curiosity about my abusers and information has been hard to get.

I hope this has helped a little bit. Feel free to ask additional questions if you wish.

Allen

puffer

#255047 - 10/14/08 01:40 AM Re: Should I Disclose To My Parents? [Re: pufferfish]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I don't know your parents and I feel that a decision to disclose to a person should be based on the benefits of disclosure outweighing the emotional price paid by those who are disclosed to, which can in turn cause an emotional price to be paid by the one disclosing as well.

But to really make that analysis one needs to know the person in question well enough to make a pretty good guess about how they would be likely to react to such a disclosure.

I told my mother about my CSA but I could tell that she was deeply hurt by it because she loved me and felt as though she had failed to protect me. I wished I had not told her. I too hoped to get more info from her about my abuser---she remembered him, but there was nothing really gained by telling her. When I later got raped again as an adult a few years ago, I decided I would not disclose it to any of my family because of the pain it would cause them.

#255286 - 10/14/08 11:36 PM Re: Should I Disclose To My Parents? [Re: blueshift]
Zardoz Offline
MaleSurvivor

I really appreciate everyone's inputs. Several questions raised in the above posts need to have clear answers from me. Thanks everyone. Anymore inputs out there?

Zardoz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.