Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
8 registered (Obi, jq19712, cant_remember, 4 invisible), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63651 Topics
444532 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254877 - 10/13/08 12:39 PM My Stress in Lincoln and in Life:
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
The time has come for another stressful 1100 mile/1760km drive to Omaha and back. Another 32 hours of fast food and fast driving on a time schedule. Another quick night at the Days Inn. Another 32 hours away from my supporters and another 32 hour respite for those who I have managed to misunderstand or who find my writing to be less fun that it was originally intended.

Since this is a personal trip, I'm glad that gas is down under $3.00 per gallon too.

I'm due in court again tomorrow, trying again to save my career. The issue of my accident in January is still unresolved. Tomorrow is just a follow-up hearing and in all likelyhood the case will go to a jury trial in early November. It would be nice to have them offer a plea bargain that would let me continue my career but so far they haven't shown any inclination to. All for a minor sideswipe accident with $3500 damage and no injuries they want to end my career for 3 years. This is my worst accident in 29 years of driving professionally and the worst of my life that I've had more than minor fault in, of the five chargeable accidents that I have ever had since 1973, only three of which were driving commercially. I have in the neighborhood of 4 million miles of driving experience and have no experience doing anything else except giving financial and tax advice, and support on a couple of websites. I have close to $3500/month in bills and without being able to work in my field I'm basically bankrupt.

The last 9 months have been really trying with this court battle and my treatment for hepatitis-c and a throat cancer precursor called Barrett's esophagus at the same time, plus the question of my wife's parent's care and the problem with disposal of their house here in SW Denver. I'm glad that I have had the time to help out around here. And I am thankful for all of the support that I have received from you guys here.

So I guess that all of you will have to get along without me again. I'll be back tomorrow night so get ready, I guess.

Thanks again for the support that everyone here has given me.

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (10/21/08 11:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Revise topic header

#254880 - 10/13/08 12:47 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: Trucker51]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Mark,

Take care, be safe and most of all GOOD LUCK!!!

Peace and love... you'll be in my thoughts...

Michael

#254881 - 10/13/08 12:48 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: M3]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Appreciate your thinking of me, Michael.

Mark

#254883 - 10/13/08 12:55 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: Trucker51]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, Trucker51/Mark.
I'm rooting for a very favorable reaponse on your court battle. You sure don't need more sorrow on your plate. You have been a tremendes (sp) Help to me. Take care. You aren't alone. Peace and serenity and love.
Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#254885 - 10/13/08 01:02 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: Trucker51]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
mark, my respect for you has just increased tremendously [it was very high already!] you managed to keep your personal stress and struggles under wraps while sharing sage advice, and good will with all of us here.

you have a special place in my head and heart and i wish nothing but the best for you, and hope things get resolved in your favor, as swiftly as possible.

your brother in recovery,

ron

#254888 - 10/13/08 01:13 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: Sans Logos]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
In a way, Mark, I'm jealous...I wish I could drive as much as you do!

I hear you about going to court. The last hearing I went to my stomach was tied in knots. Hopefully you have a mouthpiece(read: lawyer) to do your talking for you!

Just so you know, I'll be thinking about you. All my hopes.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#254907 - 10/13/08 03:36 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: LN3(SS)]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Mark,

From one trucker to another keep your head up and the pedal down.
Have a safe trip and a good time with your wife.
Sorry to hear of your problems with the court and your health issues.
You are a good man and good friend.
Thanks for being there (i mean here).
Bro,your are in my prayers and my thoughts.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#256703 - 10/21/08 02:04 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: michael banks]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Mark,

What happened? Been worried... maybe you posted somewhere else...

Peace and love brother...

Michael

#256709 - 10/21/08 03:11 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: M3]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
Mark,

Sorry to hear about what you are having to deal with. Have a safe road trip. We will all be here for you.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#256737 - 10/21/08 06:27 PM Re: Another stressful drive: [Re: KENKEN]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

My jury trial starts Monday the 27th at 9:30 AM Central time in Lincoln, NE. I think that I have a pretty good chance of getting a fair deal that would let me continue my career. I have top-notch legal representation and a local expert witness with more than 30 years of experience in the trucking industry and in driver-training and safety supervision.

It has been a bit difficult because everywhere else that I have ever had trouble before, they were willing to plea bargain it down. In Lincoln you either plead guilty or go to trial. It will be the first time that I have ever not taken a plea bargain and gone to court. It is really hard having my future entirely in someone else's hands and the uncertainty has been a bit tough for my wife and I over this year.

I guess that we will find out come next Monday which direction that we are heading in after 10 months of waiting. On another note, my first attempt at medical treatment for hepatitis-c has been a failure. My viral load came down by 90% in the first two months of treatment then the decline levelled-out and started coming back up. I increased my dosage of meds but that only stabilized me at a higher level. Currently my hep-c liver viral load is down by 80% from where it was in February and is stable. I can try again when various blood cell counts improve.

Years ago either of these setbacks would have thrown me right off of the deep end. Instead of endlessly worrying about the what if's, when I found this site I decided to try to give something back with all of the extra time that I had been given. It may be that my work here helped to distract me away from obcessing about my problems but it also helped me a lot hearing the thanks that I have received from many people here. Given my level of progress in my own recovery, I've been glad to try to help mentor people, something that I could have really used earlier in my own recovery, and something that I benefitted greatly from in my later recovery. 10 years ago I had a Hazelden grad who was 7 years ahead of me in his own recovery from his own CSA step in and help me find my way. My time here has in some respects been trying to pay Jeff back.

Thanks a lot for letting me help as much as I have been able to so far, and thanks a lot in advance for your support in my time of need. My wife and I have already begun to explore other options, one of which is changing majors and finishing my degree, possibly as an LCSW. I have 79 college credits towards a currently worthless field with a social work and urban sociology core. That is one possibility along with her idea for starting an adult hot-tub cabin resort in the mountains here. I hadn't planned on changing careers at age 51 but as I have aged it has become harder and harder to keep up with the younger drivers in my field. Heading in a different direction might not be the worst thing healthwise either.

Financially we are a little tight but I do have about $2000/month in other income outside of work, and my wife works too, so we're not hurting really badly yet. We do have mid-five figure retirement savings and maybe $70K-$80K in home equity if we were to be able to sell now, along with some other investments. I'll sure be glad when it is over so I can concentrate on what is possible again, rather than continuously worrying about what might not be possible.

Thanks again for thinking of my wife and I in our time of need.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.