Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
40035 (55), Brayton (60), DavidJ (65), Grout (29), JJM33 (43), RockyMtJoe (66)
Who's Online
6 registered (Obi, Mike26, Don Laufersweiler, CCDC, LPC, HD001, 2 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443935 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254777 - 10/12/08 11:36 PM Hypothetical
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I guess 'hypothetical' really mean that it is something that have no base of reality, you just ask it out of the air, and this is to do of someone I know, so it is really maybe not hypothetical. But it is an interesting 'dilemma', although tragic some, and I was rather curious as to what more people would think on it.

You find out that your father (who you have not known most your life) died at age 40 of a disease which is something rare but 'genetic'. There is tests to be done that can see if you have this illness, but there is no real treatment of it, and no cure at all, it is just eventually fatal (usually at not so very old age). Your 31 year old sibling have had this test done and discover that they do have this illness, even though they not shown signs of it yet. You are 25 year old.

What do you think? You think you would want to have this test done, to see if this also is your fate? Or rather to not know?

Andrei

#254779 - 10/12/08 11:45 PM Re: Hypothetical [Re: ak]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Andrei,

I know a person (female) who is in this very situation. She has chosen to get the testing done, not for herself, but so that the medical profession can learn about the disease through her willingness to let them study it in her and her family. Three times a year she goes to a University Hospital for testing of various kinds in the hopes that they can learn enough to begin to unravel the mysteries of the disease in question and hopefully find a cure.

I feel that to be a very selfless gift she's given to humankind and admire her for that.

Should everyone do as she has chosen to do? Not necessarily. I think it is very personal decision and one that no person should require of another. Would I do the same? Probably.

John

#254784 - 10/12/08 11:51 PM Re: Hypothetical [Re: ak]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
I would hate it and I'd do it. I would definetly have the test so as to resolve the issue one way or the other. Living with the question of not knowing for sure would make me insane.

#254794 - 10/13/08 01:17 AM Re: Hypothetical [Re: joelRT]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

But really, we all live with the question of not knowing. We all have an 'expiration date' on our lives. To know if it is more limited then not, will that really make the difference in how to live life?

I am still not quite sure how I feel on it, really, and am glad it is not my decision.

Andrei

#254884 - 10/13/08 12:59 PM Re: Hypothetical [Re: ak]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Andrei - I can only speak of my own personal experience - but...

I think of your question - and I think back to 1998 - back to when I was first having so many more aches and pains than I felt was "normal" for someone my age and in the physical conditioning I was in at that time - back to when the muscle "burn" first started to really effect how I lived my life - back to when it first really started to slow my lifestyle down (I lived a crazy busy fast paced physical lifestyle before then)

I did'nt know what was wrong - but I knew "something" was...

I could'nt live with not knowing what it was (but that's just me personaly - I had a driving "need" to know what was wrong with my physical body)

it turned out to be "genetic" so there is no treatment or cure for it - but... - I know what "it" is now - I now have an understanding of "what" and "why" is happening to my physical body and I can live my life to the fullest extent that I possibly can now with the knowledge of "what" is going on in my physical body

I think of your friend Andrei - I try to put myself in his shoes - and I just could'nt live life without knowing - I'd be too scared to plan anything for the "future" - not knowing when that future could possibly end - it would drasticaly limit how I lived my life if I did'nt know - I'd just have to know...

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#254896 - 10/13/08 02:21 PM Re: Hypothetical [Re: TJ jeff]
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I have too much control issues. With symptoms or not, if I knew about it, I would have to get the testing done.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#254909 - 10/13/08 03:47 PM Re: Hypothetical [Re: Leosha]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Hi Andrei

I would want to know as well
An interesting thing I have experienced myelf is knowing one has a genetic pre-disposition doesn't always change things
as in the way we think or live our lives afterwards.
(I think that has more to do with character & personality?)

But as far as health & wellbeing go, I would prefer to have made the choice to find something out rather
than have it sneak attack me.

C

#254912 - 10/13/08 04:06 PM Re: Hypothetical [Re: ineffable]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Andrei,

I would want to know.
So that I made damn sure I lived my life too the fullest and had no regrets at the end of my days.
Come to think about it, I am starting today.
Life is too short to wait.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#255015 - 10/13/08 10:17 PM Re: Hypothetical [Re: michael banks]
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Androsh,

I would have the testing done. I would have to know, because the fear of the unknown would make my life miserable. What if he doesn't carry this gene? Think of all the time wasted worrying about it when it was never neccesary to worry about it at all!!

I also would want to know in case I ever decided to have children. I wouldn't be willing to play genetic roulette. I'd have to know.

#255104 - 10/14/08 11:10 AM Re: Hypothetical [Re: FLRich]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Androsh,

I think that wondering and not knowing would hijack whatever time I have left in my life. If I did the test, then I would know and I could make my decisions accordingly. So I think I would do it.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.