Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63582 Topics
444217 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#254466 - 10/11/08 09:02 PM Thank You
FWMB Offline
New Here

Hello, I had joined here about a year and a half ago as the mom of a son who was sexually abused by an older juvenile in the area. I had introduced myself as such, and because I have a son, I thought perhaps I could receive insight and suggestions on how to best help my child. I was immediately welcomed and received support and encouragement for things we were doing to date, and suggestions for other things to do to help him. I have stopped in a couple of times to read since then, but haven't posted. I just wanted to take a minute now to say 'thank you' to each person who took a moment to reply to my questions, and offer suggestions/support. My son is about to be 11, and is progressing along with great supports and help. He decided a year ago that a book had to be written from him, with our help, to other children to encourage them that their voice can be heard, if they are being abused, or have been and have never shared. With the full support and agreement of his counselor, he felt strongly he should use his real name on the book (very nervewracking for us) because he felt it was important for other children to know they did nothing wrong, and don't need to live in darkness any longer. The book was published, and is being released in bookstores nationwide in December. It is the first in a series of four, all relating to this topic. Our son wanted it written from a faith perspective, because it was his story, but also because many children are silenced when their abusers tell them God can't love them, and also because so many children have been abused by people in authority in all religions. So my reason for coming here is to thank you. Your suggestions, support, wisdom and most of all, encouragement to us, as his parents, was what got us through the first wave of grief. There have been several since then, but when we first found out, it was you who were here for me, and ultimately for our family. Thank you all.

Edited by FWMB (10/11/08 09:04 PM)

#254516 - 10/12/08 01:04 AM Re: Thank You [Re: FWMB]
Brian Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Upstate NY
FWMB,

Your son is a very courageous young man. He is also very lucky to have a mom like you. You have given your son a wonderful gift! Most of us would not be here if we had the support that your family has provided to your son.

If you would, please send me a message when his book is released.

Brian

#255058 - 10/14/08 03:22 AM Re: Thank You [Re: Brian]
cstjude Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Canada
Congratulations on your son's and your family's victory! What a wonderful post.

Please share the title of the book(s)! I will buy several copies for my library, teachers, therapists, and just about everyone else I know. \:\)

C.

#255182 - 10/14/08 07:06 PM Re: Thank You [Re: cstjude]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
FWMB,

You son is so brave! and he could only be that way because of the loving support he received from you and his family. You're post gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. Please tell that little boy of yours that he is my hero today!

ROCK ON..........Trish

#255187 - 10/14/08 07:21 PM Re: Thank You [Re: Trish4850]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
WOW!!!

He can be Trish's hero today, but I get dibs for tomorrow!! What an incredible accomplishment for such a young man. His strength and courage are inspiring. No doubt he has the support of a wonderfully loving family.

Much love to you, your son and your whole family!

Michael

#255352 - 10/15/08 08:27 AM Re: Thank You [Re: M3]
FWMB Offline
New Here

You guys amaze me. I have had the privilege of reading here, and absorbing so many lessons, and it is YOU who are the heroes, because just by being yourselves, and talking about strengths and challenges, you planted seeds within my heart and my husband's of what may help, and what we may want to avoid, to help David.

David turned 11 yesterday. He is beautiful and precious, and has a heart the size of Texas. Most importantly, last night my husband and I gave thanks that he is physically here to celebrate his birthday, and that we received the care and education needed to help him. Your voices ARE being heard!

I will gladly post the link here to purchase the book (it is not expensive.) It is small. We are working to have it everywhere it can be, so if a child is scared and reluctant to disclose, hopefully this book will reach their heart in a way that will help them to feel safe. The link is here, and can be purchased now, through the publisher's website: http://www.tatepublishing.com/bookstore/book.php?w=978-1-60696-605-1

It is entitled David's Sword, and the next one, about to enter publishing, is David's Shield, with two more to follow after that.

Bless each and every one of you, Marybeth

#255408 - 10/15/08 01:31 PM Re: Thank You [Re: FWMB]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
FWMB,

Please give David a belated birthday hug for me - he is a amazing 11 y/o - so strong - so brave - overcoming all that's happened to him - and reaching out to help others who suffer in silence - I'd give him a medal for bravery if I could

I'll definately get his books - thank you for letting us know about them

and Thank You and your husband for being the strong parents you are - abuse is hard on an entire family - I know it's taken great strength on your part to be there for David when he's feeling low

an old saying here - but it's very very true...

"Abuse happens in silence - but recovery can't"

Thank You for helping David to find his voice

You 2 are my heroes smile

TJ jeff

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#255410 - 10/15/08 01:39 PM Re: Thank You [Re: TJ jeff]
dangal Offline
New Here

Loc: seattle area
Awesome, awesome stuff! This book looks amazing. I'm soo proud of David and your entire family. God bless.

#256058 - 10/18/08 12:55 PM Re: Thank You [Re: dangal]
FWMB Offline
New Here

Thank you TJ jeff and Dangal; I told David about your comments and kindness as well as the others' - he is so appreciative! Marybeth

#334733 - 06/27/10 09:14 AM Re: Thank You [Re: FWMB]
FWMB Offline
New Here

Hello, several of you had asked that I let you know when the second book in the series of four (for the siblings), is released. David's Shield will be available July 3, or can also be purchased now via us. If interested, please drop me a line at david@davidssword.com. If you wish to visit the website for the first book (David's Sword) it is www.davidssword.com. The website is being updated to reflect the David's Shield book, but is not yet completed.

Best regards, Marybeth

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.