Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Daniel McKinney (35), Framery (44), JohanDoug (70), ltlkty (55)
Who's Online
1 registered (AlexT), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63179 Topics
441788 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#254450 - 10/11/08 05:38 PM Come on baby, let's do the twist....
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
http://household-tips.thefuntimesguide.com/2007/08/plastic_bottle_lids_and_caps.php

Did you know this?...

When you're recycling plastic bottles (water bottles, for example), never leave the cap on the bottle itself.

Why?

According to Jessica Jenson of Low Impact Living: "They just chuck any bottles with lids on them."

Hmmmmm.... I did not know that.

The folks at the recycling plant simply won't take the time (or expend the energy) to take lids off of plastic bottles.

It makes sense when you think of all the millions of bottles they must receive... but still. That means you'd actually be wasting your time & effort spent recycling if you toss a water bottle into the "plastics" bin with the lid on it!

FYI, Jessica was the "green expert" who appeared on "Living With Ed" on HGTV.

Okay, the take-away here is: Throw the lids in the trash, and recycle the plastic bottles alone.

http://earth911.org/recycling/plastic-bottle-recycling/plastic-bottle-recycling-facts/

* In 2006, Americans drank about 167 bottles of water each, but only recycled an average of 23 percent. That leaves 38 billion water bottles in landfills.

* Bottled water costs between $1 and $4 per gallon and 90 percent of the cost is in the bottle, lid and label.

* According to the Beverage Marketing Corp, the average American consumed 1.6 gallons of bottled water in 1976. In 2006 that number jumped to 28.3 gallons.

* It takes over 1.5 million barrels of oil to manufacture a yearís supply of bottled water. Thatís enough oil to fuel 100,000 cars.

* Eight out of 10 plastic water bottles become landfill waste.

* In 2007 we spent $16 billion on bottled water. Thatís more than we spent on iPods or movie tickets.

* Plastic bottles take 700 years before they begin to decompose in a landfill.

* If everyone in NYC gave up water bottles for one week they would save 24 million bottles from being landfilled; one month would save 112 million bottles and one year would save 1.328 billion bottles from going into the landfill.

#254451 - 10/11/08 05:47 PM Re: Come on baby, let's do the twist.... [Re: AndyJB2005]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Maybe if we save enough plastic bottles with caps or lids on them we can make a big raft and sail away when the water gets too deep. If that happens we will still need plastic bottles with lids to keep water to drink in too.

Just think how many high-paying jobs would be eliminated if everyone recycled plastic bottles???

he, he, he,

Mark

#254472 - 10/11/08 09:21 PM Re: Come on baby, let's do the twist.... [Re: Trucker51]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Do you know how many plastic bottles are used in Las Vegas in two days?

Still's Globs

New Video

#254481 - 10/11/08 09:54 PM Re: Come on baby, let's do the twist.... [Re: Still]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
shove them all in a rocket and shoot em into the sun

#254493 - 10/11/08 10:26 PM Re: Come on baby, let's do the twist.... [Re: MarkK]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: MarkK
shove them all in a rocket and shoot em into the sun

Mark,

There are at least 13 EPA regulations preventing the use & abuse of the sun for melting, regenerating or otherwise disposing of plastic bottles.

The EPA funded the research and content of this brochure (linked below) for an efficient sum of $2,500,000

http://www.greenvillecounty.org/solid_waste/PDF/Plastic_Bottle_Brochure.pdf

Still's Globs

New Video

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.