Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (Obi), 47 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63119 Topics
441403 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#241031 - 07/29/08 02:24 PM Re: Buddhism and God: What is This Relgion? [Re: trb]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Great cartoon sans!lol

I would just add that, although I understand all being said here is a part of Buddhism and is not religious, there is a fundamentalist, exoteric branch of Buddhism, Taoism, and Hinduism that pretty much mirrors fundamentalist Christianity in it's belief in a separate God, a heaven, a hell, and redemption from sin.

I don't know really if there is a heaven or hell in the religious Taoism I speak of, but it is still what I would call an exoteric religion which is quite apart and different from the philosophical Taoism that I like to study.

#242510 - 08/05/08 02:50 PM Re: Buddhism and God: What is This Relgion? [Re: VLinvictus]
kellygtx Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
I consider myself a Unitarian Universalist but have read a great deal about Sufism and find one of their spiritual leaders - Llewellyn Vaughn Lee - an amazing spiritual teacher. The link below is entitled "Welcoming the Beloved" and ends with a great line - "...if you are going to bet on a dream, bet on the best possible dream."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXWKpeoyd_g&feature=related

Namaste -

Kelly

The time is always NOW. Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

#253902 - 10/09/08 01:21 PM Re: Buddhism and God: What is This Relgion? [Re: kellygtx]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Interesting, Buddhism.
From a "RETIRED" Catholic boy/man, I've been looking for a relgion that is not condeming me to hell (if there is a place), not condeming me for masturbating, not condeming me for wishing that my mother was dead, as a young boy, not condemig me for not forgiving my abusers, (but there all DEAD) anyway. A relgion that accepts me for what I've been/am. However I must say that the Catholic church did take me in to their orphanage/home and took very good care of me providing me with love, a home/family and protection from all and any abusers, for atleast 9 months of the year for 4 years. I had severed all communication lines to the man upstairs many years ago. I had to get this off my chest. As the Dali Lama preaches is love, and if a couple of millions/billions of Chineese are afraid of him, his message must be pretty powerful. Heal well all my friends/brothers.
Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#254124 - 10/10/08 08:27 AM Re: Buddhism and God: What is This Relgion? [Re: petercorbett]
Four Winds Offline

Loc: IL
Friendly Attitudes
http://www.hazelden.org/web/public/thought.view?catId=1902

Fill Your Time
http://www.greatday.com/

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. --Helen Keller

Just Sharing a few Spiritual Thoughts that I began today with, hope they help,

Sincerely

Four Winds

#254137 - 10/10/08 10:35 AM Re: Buddhism & God: What is This Religion? [Re: Four Winds]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Originally Posted By: AndyJB2005
In my belief (Buddhism), we kind of just say "I don't know, we can't physically prove he exists or doesn't exist, so why focus on it?" to the God vs. No God question. We feel it wastes time, energy, and distracts from doing the real, tangible help we can give to the world and to ourselves to debate something we can never logically prove.

Nice to see this topic revisited.
There is a quote from one of the teachers that might be relevant here & in other instances.

"Only don't know"

Is there a/one true God? Why did "it" happen? Does he/she love me?
I dunno I dunno I dunno I dunno I dunno I dunno I dunno I dunno I dunno I dunno

Am I suffering over I dunno?
Am I causing you suffering over my "I dunno"?
Am I causing you suffering because you dunno & I need you to?
Am I suffering over suffering?

Only don't know.

No more & no less.

C as in clapping with one hand or chanting as we speak

#254159 - 10/10/08 01:20 PM Re: Buddhism & God: What is This Religion? [Re: ineffable]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi, FOUR WINDS. I checked out those web sites on your post.Nice words there.
Ineffable, yours makes sense too. Thanks.
Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#254387 - 10/11/08 10:19 AM Re: Buddhism & God: What is This Religion? [Re: petercorbett]
Four Winds Offline

Loc: IL
my pleasure,

peace,

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.