Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
3 registered (tbkkfile, traveler, royjay), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63582 Topics
444218 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#253794 - 10/09/08 12:08 AM Re: Anybody else hate going to the barber? [Re: lungfish]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
At age 6 (1963) I had a barber in Greenwich, CT accidently cut-off the top of my ear when he wasn't paying attention. It isn't any wonder that I had barbershop phobia when I was younger.

These days I get my hair cut at the same place that I buy my groceries, fill my pre>

#253841 - 10/09/08 07:37 AM Re: Anybody else hate going to the barber? [Re: Trucker51]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Having a major hemmerage in my right eye followed by fairly extensive and painful eye examinations from age 7 onwards, i was already edgy about any sort of close physical contact and lack of control even before my Sa. the barber solution i fixed for many years by just having a pony tail, though i have to admit most of my reason for having that was style rather than dislike of barbers. Also, by a weerd contrast, as a teenager during my hole abuse seson I always had incredibly short, army length hair, so having it down to my waste was sort of a rebellion.

I stil actually miss my ponytail, and all the lovely time I used to spend in the shower with various sorts of conditioner and other stuf, ---- but then again i like smelly stuff and cosmetics anyway.

then a few years ago, a director I really respect told me that while long hair was perfect for being in pirates of penzance, for other productions it wouldn't do, so I decided to have it cut.

getting back on track though, i now have a barber who I trust close to my parents's, ---- I have to go about 100 miles to see him. I know him very well, so even though it's stil slightly uncomfortable to just sit there and have him do his thing i can cope. Anyone else though would be very difficult, in fact I really dislike people doing anything to me.

this comes up a lot because so many people assume that sinse I'm visually impared, they have t touch me in some way or do something for me I'm quite able to do for myself, ---- eg, pouring drinks if I order coffee in a cafe.

the only time I can think of when i've been perfectly happy with people doing things for me is when getting ready for a theatrical performance. it's intrinsically impossible to put on a propper white wastecoat front yourself without rubber arms (I now realize why victorian gentlemen had a vallet), and I'm even quite okay with someone else (even a girl, and one I like), doing my makeup, but this is again all down to adrenaline.

Oh heck! sorry for the really major wrant here.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.