Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
2 registered (WriterKeith, 1 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443286 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#253794 - 10/09/08 12:08 AM Re: Anybody else hate going to the barber? [Re: lungfish]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
At age 6 (1963) I had a barber in Greenwich, CT accidently cut-off the top of my ear when he wasn't paying attention. It isn't any wonder that I had barbershop phobia when I was younger.

These days I get my hair cut at the same place that I buy my groceries, fill my pre>

#253841 - 10/09/08 07:37 AM Re: Anybody else hate going to the barber? [Re: Trucker51]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Having a major hemmerage in my right eye followed by fairly extensive and painful eye examinations from age 7 onwards, i was already edgy about any sort of close physical contact and lack of control even before my Sa. the barber solution i fixed for many years by just having a pony tail, though i have to admit most of my reason for having that was style rather than dislike of barbers. Also, by a weerd contrast, as a teenager during my hole abuse seson I always had incredibly short, army length hair, so having it down to my waste was sort of a rebellion.

I stil actually miss my ponytail, and all the lovely time I used to spend in the shower with various sorts of conditioner and other stuf, ---- but then again i like smelly stuff and cosmetics anyway.

then a few years ago, a director I really respect told me that while long hair was perfect for being in pirates of penzance, for other productions it wouldn't do, so I decided to have it cut.

getting back on track though, i now have a barber who I trust close to my parents's, ---- I have to go about 100 miles to see him. I know him very well, so even though it's stil slightly uncomfortable to just sit there and have him do his thing i can cope. Anyone else though would be very difficult, in fact I really dislike people doing anything to me.

this comes up a lot because so many people assume that sinse I'm visually impared, they have t touch me in some way or do something for me I'm quite able to do for myself, ---- eg, pouring drinks if I order coffee in a cafe.

the only time I can think of when i've been perfectly happy with people doing things for me is when getting ready for a theatrical performance. it's intrinsically impossible to put on a propper white wastecoat front yourself without rubber arms (I now realize why victorian gentlemen had a vallet), and I'm even quite okay with someone else (even a girl, and one I like), doing my makeup, but this is again all down to adrenaline.

Oh heck! sorry for the really major wrant here.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.