Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (traveler), 32 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63788 Topics
445453 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#253683 - 10/08/08 05:56 PM Is this us?
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Is this us?

http://uk.youtube.com/user/MaleSurvivor

and has anybody seen the documentary "boyhood shadows"?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#253686 - 10/08/08 06:10 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: king tut]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
The guy on stage I think is Marty Moran, author of "The Tricky Part" the book that inspired my reaching out and getting help. The photo to his left on the stage is the photo on the cover of the book. He does a one man stage performance about his abuse.

That was pretty good. Didn't know MaleSurvivor had a YouTube account.

#253694 - 10/08/08 06:47 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: king tut]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Going on just a such a short clip, I most defenitly agree that it is representative of a great portion of adult male CSAs. I can only hope that all of the varied aspects and types of approaches as well as some of reactions to them can be represented.

If my feeling is correct, however, there seems to be an overtone of hatred and violence here, and that in my view will never get us to where we need to be.

What is it that saved me from becoming the monster in the closet? The monster that ravaged me. What he did to me was inhumane, that does not make him a non human. I cannot hate him and I will not endorse what may foster hatred of another human being.

#253711 - 10/08/08 07:28 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: joelRT]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Lewis,

It does look like someone has set up a YouTube account for videos by survivors from this site, but in the ModForum we know nothing about this.

I'll check around and get back to you on this thread.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#253822 - 10/09/08 04:42 AM Re: Is this us? [Re: roadrunner]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Lewis,

Yes, this is us and I'm trying to get more details on this project for you guys. The ModTeam wasn't told this was happening so we don't really know anything about it yet, but we're checking.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#253880 - 10/09/08 12:36 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: king tut]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
That is awesome

#253887 - 10/09/08 12:48 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: roadrunner]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks Larry, i think it is a good idea, any more information on this would be good thanks!

Hey Joel, I think once the youtube site is up and properly active then there should be a wider range of videos created by users that cover all areas and aspects, from all different points of view and intensities, all marked with appropriate warnings and de>

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#253888 - 10/09/08 12:50 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: MrEdd]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Yes sadly, it's about us. But atleast people are talking openly about it more. The only problem for me is when your mother is the first person to get to you, then who is there left to tell? When a male got to me, who was there to tell?
Pete (irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#253892 - 10/09/08 01:00 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: petercorbett]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lewis,

The Tricky Part by Marty Moran is the book I read last fall at camp that triggered me and brought me to MaleSurvivor, the Weekend of Recovery and my therapist. I owe Marty a great deal for writing a book that spoke to me so. In places I felt he was writing from my soul.

There are a few scenes in that video clip of a guy on stage talking, I think that is him. In one view, he's on a stool to the left of the screen and I think it is the photo from the book cover to the right of him across the stage.

#253893 - 10/09/08 01:03 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: petercorbett]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes i think it's a really good thing too, it's amazing how brave those men are to go on video and say how it is, without any sugar coating, that takes a lot, and in doing it they are saying to themselves it wasn't my fault, it was wrong and i am worth more. With people like these speaking out then hopefully when people are trapped in the cruel position that you were Pete, imprisoned by silence, then hopefully this will help others to break their silence, repression, abuse and help them heal. I know often there is nobody to tell, but it does have value just in the chance that somebody, whether a child or adult, sees that these men are speaking out and saying i am not ashamed and i am not frightened to tell, that is really powerful.

#253917 - 10/09/08 02:08 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: M3]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Michael,

Originally Posted By: M3
There are a few scenes in that video clip of a guy on stage talking, I think that is him. In one view, he's on a stool to the left of the screen and I think it is the photo from the book cover to the right of him across the stage.

Yes, that's Marty performing his one-act play based on his book.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#253960 - 10/09/08 04:18 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: roadrunner]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

That is someone I'd like to meet to thank.

Well, 19,000 and counting Larry... 20,000 before 2009?

#253977 - 10/09/08 04:52 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: M3]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA

The Tricky Part by Marty Moran is the book I read last fall at camp that triggered me and brought me to MaleSurvivor

Thanks Guys

I have read this book. I highly recommend it. I believe that Terry Moran is his brother. The video brought tears to my eyes.

Allen

puffer

#254000 - 10/09/08 06:09 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: M3]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

That is someone I'd like to meet to thank.

Marty is an amazing man and a joy to meet. I hope you get the opportunity!

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#254158 - 10/10/08 01:19 PM . [Re: king tut]
justmejoey Offline
MaleSurvivor

#254183 - 10/10/08 04:15 PM Re: Is this us? [Re: justmejoey]
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Hey guys!

Sorry there was no big announcement or anything, and it's my fault the mods didn't know anything about this.

I created a MS You Tube channel a while back because of some ideas I had and I didn't want to lose the name.

At first there were grand ideas about having a way for survivors to send in questions that could be answered with a video reply etc. I knew that was down the road but I thought it would still be a good place to post positive videos that would interest survivors. Well life is full of grand ideas but little time, and other important obligations kept pushing this project off.

If you guys have any suggestions for some videos go ahead and send them my way via the YouTube account and if I'm able to keep up with them I'll post them when I can.

I'm actually in the film Boyhood Shadows and went to the premier in September. This is the link in the world news forum:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=250180&page=1#Post250180

Another article about the film said this:

Quote:
...The premier Internet site on the subject is http://www.MaleSurvivor.org, a national organization that works against male sexual victimization. Its president, Curtis St. John, said in Boyhood Shadows that one day he heard a woman lecture about domestic violence, saying "Those who can speak need to stand up and speak for those who can't." That was it for St. John. He decided to speak. And he hasn't stopped. The website boasts many resources and a healthy online community, with 5,623 registered users and 245,000 posts on 52 forums.

So there you go. Sorry if this caused some confusion.

Cheers!

#255712 - 10/17/08 12:46 AM Re: Is this us? [Re: Curtis St. John]
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
I got the soundtrack in the mail today.
It took about a week from when I ordered it Saturday.

I am pleased with it.

Ed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.