Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
3 registered (pufferfish, crabbott, 1 invisible), 78 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62516 Topics
438105 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#254831 - 10/13/08 08:24 AM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: arronb]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
yea, could be, and as i stated, i agree with niels to a point. but i think he reacted emotionally after being triggered by what he read. i think if anyone has the 'right' to set us straight [ah-hem!] about the intentionality of the topic, it would craig.

we'll have to see how he chimes in on it.

:-)

ron

#254863 - 10/13/08 11:21 AM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: Sans Logos]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Aaronb,

I think you might be right. This thread is sort of a blend of discussion poor eating habit and possible eating disorders with what I took as everyone's favorite comfort foods...

Craig, what was your intentions with this thread?

Niels, you are correct that, being in this Health and Wellness forum, we should be more sensitive to the purpose of the forum.

Michael

#254864 - 10/13/08 11:30 AM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: Sans Logos]
ineffable Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: state of holeecrapdood
Originally Posted By: Sans Logos
i think if anyone has the 'right' to set us straight [ah-hem!] about the intentionality of the topic
it would craig.

we'll have to see how he chimes in on it.

Who's implying I am a ding dong?
mmmm ding dongs

It is a serious topic
However, I just throw things out there & see if they stick, so perhaps that might contribute to the whimsicalness?
Wordplay, puns & entertaining myself in my process is another factor.
If the point gets missed & it is important enough to me it usually gets revisited.

On an aside, sometimes it feels like threads don't get read from the beginning & the tone gets "picked up" at a later point in
its evolution or regression.

Dialogue.
It's a good thang.

#254866 - 10/13/08 11:34 AM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: ineffable]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Craig or Niels,

Would you mind starting another thread about this? I do think this is an issue that needs to be discussed. It is a very serious issue with survivors seeing as so many of us have such distorted self-images.

I know I'm guilty of looking at the Last 24 hour of posts without looking to see which forum the post is from. Sorry!

Michael

#254871 - 10/13/08 11:55 AM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: Sans Logos]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
But the Craig that we know and love is all about having fun and having fun with. Yes, it could have been a serious question. In my own business world, filled with tight deadlines, many too many hours of high speeds and heavy traffic, filled with impossible and highly-demanding levels of stress, forcing the monster truck ever onward to another dissatisfied customer who wanted the stuff yesterday, I feel that eating healthy is virtually impossible. Every minute of my workday counts. Have you ever tried to park a monster truck somewhere that you could get some half-decent, low-carb, healthier, food, let alone waste that kind of time?

If this had been a serious question despite the style of the author, the serious answer would have been somewhere along the lines of deciding whether your long-term health or your stressful daily life was more important in the overall scheme of things. I have been asked many times why I couldn't take the time to eat healthy and give-up eating fast food on the run. Giving up the required amount of time to eat healthier is a virtual impossibility in my business, to say nothing of the parking problem. And not only that, but I often find that healthy food tends toward boring and the impractible. I often long for the unhealthy act of sating the primal desire with greasy meat and fries, washing it down with an energy soda, the simple pleasure of an post-gorging cigarette, as I get back into the stress of the daily grind. But again, is my devotion to solving the daily stress in my business costing myself my health? And when is too much too much? At what point are we forced to face the question of our health vs the demands of our world?

Perhaps this would have been a better and more serious response if Craig's question had been one of a serious nature. There are those, my lttle sister included, who struggle on a daily basis with eating disorders and other eating maladies. Have you ever tried to find gluten-free restaurant food, then wash it down with a little Body Balance? Have you ever had to force yourself to stay out of the junk food and candy aisles and force yourself to learn to take the time to eat better, healthier food?

Are learning and developing healthier eating habits an eventual recovery question for some if not many of us within our shared community? As we age, the answer for many of us will be yes.

That said, I'm a Faygo Rock & Rye man myself.

Mark

#254951 - 10/13/08 06:32 PM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: Trucker51]
Niels Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think I did get triggered by seeing that most of the replies Craig got, were not taking this issue serious and did not answer his questions.

Men having eating disorders is often a problem that many do not take serious. Only the very underweight anorexic or the superhuge obese person will not be able to hide that they have serious lifethreatening problem. I was bad enough as a teenager discovering that I was mostly attracted to other guys. But on top of that having such "girlie disease" was worse for me. I was so ashamed of it, even though it was the first symptoms - that something was very wrong with me emotionally and that I were not able to cope with.

It is wellknown that more gay men, than straight men will develop eating disorders like Anorexia or Bulimia. Just to set things Straight ... :-) Perhaps because gay men are more consicous about looks and body appearance?

Yes I can be a bit harsh sometimes when I call people to order. I apologize that I did not word my response better. But I found that Craig and the issue he raised deserved a better more empathetic response.

#255387 - 10/15/08 11:23 AM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: Niels]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think at least part of the answer that Craig was looking for was any commonality of binging on sugary snacks among the members of our joint recovery community, and that question was answered by comparing everyone's sugary snack choices, even if the answer was more humorous and less empathetic than it could have been, given the fact that some of us may have problems with eating disorders or other negative or self-destructive coping behaviors. The problem of transferring our addictions for alcohol or illegal drugs to food in recovery is an issue that many of us may face though.

Most of our membership ought to be aware that I have had my own problem with a tremendous weight gain following my substance abuse treatment in 1996-1998. Even though I had thought that I was cutting way back on my food intake and trying to eat healthier when I was in drug treatment, over the first 5 years following my first stint at Hazelden for a ruinous $200-$300 everyday cocaine habit, I managed to go from 6'5" and 205 lbs to weighing as much or more than an NFL lineman at 345 lbs. Looking back it was likely the daily stress of my job and all of the fast food on the run that was the culprit as much or more so than transferring my addiction to cocaine to food. The movie Supersize Me made me much more aware of the problems possible with constantly eating fast food on the run. And once anyone has a bunch of excess weight, getting rid of it can be a very difficult proposition.

Though I consider myself quite open, liberal, and openly tolerant of all minorities, and even have tried to go out of my way to protect other people's rights and denounce intolerant viewpoints, I'll admit that I had never even considered the issue of a gay man's physical appearance as being of greater importance than it might be to the average straight guy who might be struggling with a weight problem.

As a 30-year career semi driver, I am well aware of the effect that fear, a lack of understanding, and intolerance, out of the average driving public and public policymakers, has on me and other members of my employment fraternity. All that any of us can do going forward is to try to be more tolerant and aware of the issues that others face.

That said, it has also been said that humor is the best medicine,

Mark

#255414 - 10/15/08 02:14 PM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: Trucker51]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have had issues with eating disorder some years back. Either not eating at all, and then when I would eat (normal eating, never was for 'binging' because it just feel gross), would panic and make myself throw up. And that was just with normal food. To much sugar food makes my head go crazy and give me a headache afterward. My head is crazy enough, it don't need no help.

It took some years to completely stop the bad eating behaviors, but I can honestly say that I eat pretty good most of the time now (if I'm to stressed or sick I sometime still have a hard time to eat), and can say also honestly that the only times I have throw up in the last year and half or so is been because I am actually sick or something like that, not from making myself do it.

Andrei

#256647 - 10/21/08 04:42 AM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: ineffable]
rosejenifar Offline

Part of the problem with emotional overeating is that our brains need glucose (sugar) to function and so by necessity we feel pleasure in our bodies when the brain gets its drug.
Exactly how powerful of a drug is sugar?
Scientist conducted an experiment whereby mice in a cage could access as much cocaine as they wanted by pushing a lever.All the mice soon became addicted to the cocaine and were frequently pushing the lever.Then the scientist introduced sugar into the mice's cage where the mice could now also access as much sugar as they wanted by pushing a lever.In a short while,all the mice had become more addicted to sugar than to cocaine.
----------------------------
rosejenifar
Advisor

#256697 - 10/21/08 01:32 PM Re: Over eating sugar numbing [Re: rosejenifar]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

The only way that I lost any weight was the Atkins' Diet. Four years ago I lost 45 lbs in 6 weeks only moderately adhering to his diet. But you might be right about the brain's need for glucose to function, because just like Dr. Atkins, I ended-up falling down a flight of 8 concrete steps, which ended my time on his diet. And like all diets, once you quit the diet, the weight comes back. It was a gain of 20 lbs fairly quickly, followed by another 10 or 15 lbs every year at the holidays, until I'm right back where I started from.

You are quite right that most of us are addicted to sugar from a very young age. Most baby food is loaded with sugar. And for those of you who don't know, Faygo is a regional soda pop bottler out of the Detroit-area that bottles about 50 flavors. Their Rock & Rye is like a combination of a cola and a cream soda, and like most all soda pop, it is loaded with sugar too. Most non-diet sodas have 40 grams of sugar or more in a 12 oz can, which means 53 or more grams in a half-liter bottle. You also have to look at the manufacturer's serving size too, which often is quite small.

And most prepared foods or microwave foods have a huge amount of sugar or carbs in them too. Even carrots, peas. or beans have sugar, and so does milk. Atkins wants you to cut your sugar and carb intake to under 20 grams a day. So it is basically meat, fish, chicken, plus certain no-sugar vegetables, and Splenda is the only approved sweetener on the Atkins' Diet. You can also eat small amounts of nuts and some berries. You are supposed to cut-out any use of caffiene and quit smoking too, which I found impossible on both counts. And you may need to take some fiber supplements too. But his diet does work if you can stick with it. Once you lose the weight you can relax a bit but you can't go back to certain sugary foods ever if you want the weight to stay off.

Good luck, is all that I can say.

Mark

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.