Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63638 Topics
444463 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#252458 - 10/01/08 07:44 PM Roommates for WoR Kirkridge
Fissy Tsickens Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Bassett, Virginia
Moderators, if this is the wrong place, feel free to move it.

Hey, all.

Seriously thinking of going to PA. One of the questions on the registration form is roommate preference. I've not been here that long, and don't "know" a lot of members, but if any of you that I've been having discussions with are going, it might be a little more comfortable for me to room with you than someone I've never even had an exchange of messages with. PM me, please, if you'd consider it.

Thanks very much!

John

About a home Iíll never see

It may sound absurd...but donít be naive
Even heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but wonít you concede
Even heroes have the right to dream
Itís not easy to be me

#252465 - 10/01/08 08:06 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: Fissy Tsickens]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

John,

You're raising a very important and potentially triggering topic. Bear in mind that the facilitators for the weekends have as a priority the safety of those who participate. They do personal interviews with each participant via phone before the weekends as well as contact with the prospective attendee's therapist.

That said you're doing the right thing by posting about this and wanting to get comfortable with various prospective attendees prior to the weekend. Rest easy in the fact that your safety is important to those who organize the weekend. Also you're definitely not alone in the way you feel. Everyone who attends is feeling similarly.

The rest of your brothers here wish you peace and success in the upcoming weekend.

Lots of love,

John

#252468 - 10/01/08 08:16 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: WalkingSouth]
Fissy Tsickens Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, John. I truly hope I haven't triggered anyone.

Peace,

John.

Itís not easy to be me

#252472 - 10/01/08 08:22 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: Fissy Tsickens]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

John,

When I referred to the topic being potentially triggering I was referring to the prospect of sharing a bedroom with someone a person doesn't even know. Add that to our sexual abuse history and it can be quite triggering to the individual who is contemplating attending the weekend. Trust me, I was in that very situation when I faced the prospect of attending my first recovery weekend. Thankfully one of the men I had become friends with here suggested we room together (thanks Dale). That helped alleviate that particular issue for me.

I'm sure you too will be able to come to grips with this particular concern by the time the weekend rolls around. The guys who attend the weekends are pretty serious about making some real headway in their recovery and the roommate thing kinda fades into the background once the initial jitters are replaced with the program and events.

Lots of love,

John

#252483 - 10/01/08 08:50 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: WalkingSouth]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
John,

Things can work out well to. I roomed in a triple and was horribly worried. Turned out that both of my roommates are great friends now. One, I hadn't met but we stay in close contact now. The other, turned out to be a friend of mine from a church I'd attended but we had both left the church a few years earlier.

Turned out to be a great experience!

Keep the faith Fissy Tsickens (I love your nickname!)...

Peace and love...

Michael

#252495 - 10/01/08 09:33 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: M3]
Fissy Tsickens Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thank you, guys.

Peace,

John

Itís not easy to be me

#252579 - 10/02/08 12:30 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: Fissy Tsickens]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I'm booked for a triple.... didn't put down anyone as I didn't know who all was going. Fear keeps creeping up and makes me want to back out...... But I think I just might actually make it since we're already into October!

I'm sure whoever you get put with John, you'll connect at some point during the weekend. Who knows (don't know how they put the groups together) but maybe you'll be in the same groups as your room mates. Guess the other side to that might be that if you're not in the same groups, at night you can share with each other your feelings etc from your groups and maybe even have another chance to share your story if you're up to it.

Man I'm nervous.

#252590 - 10/02/08 02:00 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: JustScott]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
let's start a new thread of 'ultimate potential roommate nightmares'.

that should interject some much needed levity to the topic! LOL

you better watch out or i just might sign up for the weekend.......hahahahhaha!!!!!!

deviously yours,

ron

#252651 - 10/02/08 07:47 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: Sans Logos]
Fissy Tsickens Offline
MaleSurvivor

Scott, I'm really nervous, too! I'll try to stay upbeat like you!

Ron, you're just pure evil (LOL)! Thanks for the levity...I can use that right now!

Peace,

John

Itís not easy to be me

#252664 - 10/02/08 10:03 PM Re: Roommates for WoR Kirkridge [Re: Fissy Tsickens]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

There's only one "Ultimate Terror" that could occur for me for the weekend..... And I've been assured that's not going to happen.... so I'll hold my breath and try to trust that people know what they're talking about!!!!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.