Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
6 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, pufferfish, pete1973, 3 invisible), 60 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62513 Topics
438100 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#252200 - 09/30/08 09:11 PM Quote from Time - 1927
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

--- Max Ehrmann, 1927

... and for those of us who remember the early 70's ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqqsJJ08-uQ

#252204 - 09/30/08 09:29 PM Re: Quote from Time - 1927 [Re: MarkK]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I like that, i'm printing that one off, thanks Mark

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#252220 - 09/30/08 10:14 PM Re: Quote from Time - 1927 [Re: king tut]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Thanks Mark!

#252346 - 10/01/08 11:42 AM Re: Quote from Time - 1927 [Re: M3]
Stretch73 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sea Isle City, NJ
I have always apprectaited the writings of Max Ehrmann. Most of his stuff is prose and not poetry. Some believe they're similar, but I completely disagree. However, thank you for that "prose" \:\) Mark.It's one of my favorites!

Read up on Oscar Wilde or Walt Whitman for similar work. Max Ehrmann said that he derived most of his inspiration from reading both of those authors.

Take care!

Rich

#252379 - 10/01/08 01:54 PM Re: Quote from Time - 1927 [Re: Stretch73]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I just have a hard time at the get go with the "go placidly" part.
In the place I live in going placidly..ESPECIALLY "amid the noise and haste" will either get you beat up or harassed by the police. Unless, of course your some old person with a cane or walker, then you just get your wallet lifted as someone helps you across the street.

Another problem is that the "loud and aggressive" are usually also the "dull and ignorant" so between listening to their story and avoiding them I'd pick the latter.

But all that aside there's some good stuff there..the part about not being cynical about love...hmm let's just say the part about not being cynical...very much for me! Right now I'm cynical about everything..ESPECIALLY love. But I guess it sort of shows doesn't it.

#252380 - 10/01/08 02:03 PM Re: Quote from Time - 1927 [Re: blueshift]
sunwolf Offline

Loc: Indiana
Lovely poem!!!!

#252382 - 10/01/08 02:27 PM Re: Quote from Time - 1927 [Re: MarkK]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
How absolutely beautiful of you to have posted this, Mark. Thanks so much.

Joel

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.