Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
5 registered (learning2remember, crabbott, Shyshark, 2 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63401 Topics
443272 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#251224 - 09/26/08 11:39 AM Kid-Abuse Poll Shock
pluckmemory Offline

From New York Post:

Three-quarters of Americans have at some point in their lives thought they knew of a child being abused - but only 12 percent of them actually decided to report it to authorities, a first of-its-kind-survey shows.

A disturbing 78 percent said they suspected seeing abuse, but 33 percent kept silent because they didn't want to get involved, according to the national survey released by Safe Horison, a Manhattan child advocacy group.

Read rest of the story here:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09262008/news/nationalnews/kid_abuse_poll_shock_130771.htm

#251227 - 09/26/08 11:57 AM Re: Kid-Abuse Poll Shock [Re: pluckmemory]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
When a child many people, teachers, doctors, neighbors etc. saw first hand the abuse and violence that I was daily subjected to - no one intervened!

When the emergency room doctor asked my uncle how I had hurt myself, my uncle truthfully said: His mother kicked him in the nuts. I was 9 at the time. After examining me the doctor said: He's fine, I see no reason for concern here. I have never forgotten those words.

After I was gang-raped, my aunt spent four days at my bedside explaining to me why it wasn't my cousin's fault and that he really didn't mean to harm me. I could go on...

We quickly learn as children to just not bother saying anything - what would be the point! Anyone else identify???

Joel

#251232 - 09/26/08 12:17 PM Re: Kid-Abuse Poll Shock [Re: joelRT]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
(((Joel)))

#251234 - 09/26/08 12:21 PM Re: Kid-Abuse Poll Shock [Re: M3]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I don't know. It was common knowledge of the football team that I spent Friday night's at the coach's house and one of the players knew I spent the first night in the coach's bed. He was jealous that he wasn't invited over after that night (but I continued) so I'm sure that it was talked about. He took his frustration out on me because of it. And if the 50 guys on the team talked about it, I'm sure some of the school's faculty or administration knew.

You would think people would see the physical abuse, the neglect or the aftermath of the sexual abuse. And now knowing that many people do see and don't do anything doesn't make me feel any better.

#251299 - 09/26/08 07:37 PM Re: Kid-Abuse Poll Shock [Re: pluckmemory]
Tinman Offline

Loc: Lake Forest, CA
I read a similar survey. But one of the most shocking things is that 70% of the people who suspect child abuse do not report it because they do not want to be responsible for the family being broken up! What kind of madness is that? Let the child keep being abused so that there is a family unit? There IS NO FAMILY there. It is all lies and deceit.

A child in danger is never better off remaining in a house with their abusers.

Must be quite a lot of ostrichs out there with their heads stuck in the sand! Of shoved up somewhere else!

To the perps: Don't worry about me coming after you. But you damn well better watch out for God! "Vengeance is mine", saith the Lord

#251302 - 09/26/08 07:58 PM Re: Kid-Abuse Poll Shock [Re: Tinman]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here in my area, a 14 year old boy had been raped by his father for years. Mom has been abused so she didn't want to see it. When it finally came out, the boy had to go live with relatives because mom and his younger siblings turned on him for breaking up the family. Dad made lots of money and mom was a stay at home mom. She couldn't get a job that paid much so the family lost their home, cars, etc.

People also just don't want to get involved. If they tell, they'll get interviewed and maybe have to testify. For teachers, we're scared of retribution - not all teachers are protected by unions. My school, a charter, would have thrown us to the wolves if our actions cost them the tax dollars for one student.

Sorry, this is such a hot spot for me.

#251304 - 09/26/08 08:05 PM Re: Kid-Abuse Poll Shock [Re: joelRT]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: joelRT
We quickly learn as children to just not bother saying anything - what would be the point! Anyone else identify???

Sadly, yes...

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.