Newest Members
MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy, WeFallWeRise
12464 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Asmodeus (31), comeath3 (75), Roy (53), Skeeter (55), tazrad (43), Treehugger75 (39), waterworld (53)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12464 Members
74 Forums
63991 Topics
446642 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#251051 - 09/25/08 02:47 PM Great Accomplishment Today
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

This may not seem like much but today I was able to achieve a great accomplishment for me. As many of you know I have been out of work since mid July. During this time I have not been able to focus on a job search. I took a career transition/job search class that was paid for by my previous employer last month but I just couldn't engage. My mind was elsewhere. Frankly my CSA recovery has taken center stage. I think that even if I were able to have gotten a job during this time there would be no way I could keep it.

Well today I was able to complete my resume. I have not written a real resume for over 15 years. I feel so relieved that I have got it done now. What prompted me is hearing from a recruiter about a job opening at her company that I may be a fit for. I first heard from her the week after I lost my job but then I wasn't ready to pursue anything. She emailed me a few more times asking for my resume last month. I just blew her off and told her I was still working on it.

Well, I pretty much figured that job opportunity was lost when I got another email from the recruiter yesterday asking me if I were still interested in the job. I was surprised, first that the job was still open, second that this company is still inquiring about me. I used to work with several people that are there so many of them already know me. Anyways, I thought I'd better get my butt in gear and finally finish writing my resume. So I worked and worked and worked on it last night and this morning and completed it and emailed it to the recruiter. She promptly emailed me back, thanking me and said she would route it to the hiring manager.

Last night I had an interesting dream about being interviewed for this job and seeing so many past co-workers. In the dream I don't know if I got the job. That's probably not important. It being a first revision, my resume may not even past muster but that's ok. I finally have at least a working first revision in circulation now and I can move on from here.

I was really beginning to worry that I wouldn't even be able to get to this point because of the way my recovery has been going.

We'll see what happens next.

Mike

#251053 - 09/25/08 02:52 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: Barkabus]
frost Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Eh?
Good for you Mike! I hope it proves fruitful for you and you are in a place where you can once again handle the pressure of a job.

#251054 - 09/25/08 03:01 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: Barkabus]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Congrats Mike,

Its called a breakthrough, man. That is awesome! Every breakthrough is a major deal for us no matter how big or how seemingly small.

Don't second guess yourself, Mike, just go with the flow of the thing - it will lead you to where you need to be.

Congrats again - you give all of us hope.

Joel

#251058 - 09/25/08 03:12 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: joelRT]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
It's good to hear this because, unless we're old and retired, we (especially men) need to be productive and independent. (not that I wouldn't mind being a Mr. Mom if I met the right woman hehe)

Anyways..............VERY good to hear Mike. Do they offer doggy day-care as well? \:\)

#251078 - 09/25/08 05:44 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: Hauser]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks guys. Well, the ball is rolling quickly. I have already been contacted to set up an initial interview.

Here we go guys, buckle your seat belts!

#251080 - 09/25/08 05:49 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: Barkabus]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States

Mike? Can you hook me up once you're in? I'm getting sick of Denver already! \:\)

#251093 - 09/25/08 08:42 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: Hauser]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, now that you mention it Alan, they do have a desktop support position available too. hehe! But I don't believe you are sick of Denver already. Remember it rains in Oregon ALL OF THE TIME! Ha!

#251115 - 09/25/08 09:29 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: Barkabus]
MusicMan Offline

Loc: Elmira, NY
Mike,

That's great. That is a big accomplishment. I know how we survivors run into difficulties that seem to big and the CSA stuff gets in the way.

Congratulations and persevere. Phil. 4:13.

God bless,
John, The Music Man.

#251118 - 09/25/08 09:42 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: Hauser]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Hauser
I'm getting sick of Denver already!

#257777 - 10/25/08 01:03 PM Re: Great Accomplishment Today [Re: Barkabus]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Here is a quick update on the job search front. Wow, a month exactly since I originally posted about this.

I have had four interviews with this company now. The fourth one was on Thursday and it went well too. All four interviews went very well. Well, yesterday afternoon I got the following email from the HR staffing department:

Hi Mike,
I would like to set up some time to speak with you on Monday regarding next steps with the Systems Engineer position. I think you will be very happy with the decision the team has made!

What is your availability on Monday for a 30-minute phone call? Let me know what time(s) work best for you to speak.

Thanks, Mike. I look forward to hearing from you!
-D

This is absolutely amazing to me. I get laid off and my next job came looking for me. I blew it off but it still persisted. By all rights I should not be working for this company but Someone Else has other plans, or so it seems. This is so exciting. Well, before I get too excited I need to see what their offer is on Monday.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.