Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
9 registered (MrsC, Dave PNW, SoccerStar, Scott1962, 3 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63851 Topics
445835 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#250257 - 09/19/08 07:59 AM Reconnecting with my past... in a good way
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I thought it would be nice to share with you fellas some stuff I have been doing that has brought me a tremendous feeling of healing. It doesn't seem like a lot of happy stuff happens around this board so I'll try to shift that (at least that's my perception, I mean no offense)

About a year ago I decided to search for an old boyfriend who abandoned me from 3000 miles away (it was too easy to do I guess). I came across a one-time use people finder who found him on a class reunion website. It was definitely him. (BTW, if you come across one of these don't use it!! I was tricked and some other company stole my credit card info. I started getting monthly $20 charges from 24PROTECTPLUS, and I had to go through the whole fraud thing and change my card number. I got everything back though, so it turned out okay).

Anyway, since abandonment is one of my big emotional triggers, I decided to send him an email and offer my friendship (forgiveness). I always liked the guy and I just needed closure so I figured what the hell.

I'm so glad I did, his first solid email to me was full of apologies and regrets. He told me that leaving me hanging like that left a void in him that he hasn't been able to fill. He confessed to being a very selfish person back then, and said that he was very sorry and that he has matured a great deal. He then went on to say he was in the process of getting out of a five-year relationship that was very messy.

He was so excited to hear from me, he got a little carried away and was hoping I was single again. Of course I told him I am not, but that I would really like it if we could be friends and stay in touch, and I was hoping he felt similarly. He didn't seem too happy with that at first, but the idea grew on him. I think he felt a certain amount of personal pain (guilt and regret probably) finally let go. He confessed that he did not expect my offer of friendship to make his current breakup and house-sale seem less painful.

We both got something wonderful out of it and I'm so glad I decided to contact him. I even went as far as telling him that I insist we be friends, and if I ever thought he was avoiding me I would hunt him down (jokingly, of course).

I went back even further and contacted a 5-6 year crush from high school, who was my best friend during that time (that was the only way I knew how to have a boy I liked in my life). He was very receptive. We had lunch one day and I was very relieved that the feelings of attraction I used to have were gone! That was not really the goal but I was curious to see if those old feelings would come back, the goal was to reestablish friendship.

So to sum it up, I'm really glad I've done this because I feel like a lot of personal anger and regret has sorta dissolved into something more valuable. I guess it's progress and maturity ("toot toot" - that's me tootin my own horn)

Craig

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#250260 - 09/19/08 08:30 AM Re: Reconnecting with my past... in a good way [Re: cbfull]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
wow craig! what a great witness to both your own self as a person of integrity and to your recovery!

something tells me you were NOT kidding when you said you would track him down. hahahaha! [you could well be a compulsive tracker-downer and just not be aware of it yet!]

omg, it's friday already, i'm giddy with silliness!

have a great day and thanks for sharing the fun and good stuff with us,

your brother in recovery,

ron
ps: i'm feeling creative today

#250261 - 09/19/08 08:38 AM Re: Reconnecting with my past... in a good way [Re: Sans Logos]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Craig,

That's awesome!! Congratulations on reaching out and furthering your recovery. I too have found reconnecting with old friends to be very helpful, especially with the ones I felt I'd been neglectful in maintaining contact during my dark days.

I hope Ron's silliness and creativity are contagious today! One day where everyone is happy, silly and creative...

Michael

#250264 - 09/19/08 09:33 AM Re: Reconnecting with my past... in a good way [Re: M3]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
Craig,
I echo the words from above. It was very good, emotional wise, to come to terms with "things/people/family/friends" from the past. This past year for me was a definite roller coaster ride, mostly a free fall down hill. But as I now move forward and look to the future I am so at peace with how I feel and how I dealt with my past.

I have a better outlook on my future. I feel I have grasped on the reason why I worked so hard to get where I am today. My determination never waivered. I am thankful for that.

It does feel good to progress and to mature.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#250303 - 09/19/08 07:58 PM Re: Reconnecting with my past... in a good way [Re: cbfull]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Toot toot indeed! I'm very happy to hear that, Craig- we all can use reminders that simply because a chance to resolve things from our past seems daunting or doomed to failure, we shouldn't pass on every opportunity... thanks for posting!

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#250553 - 09/22/08 09:19 AM Re: Reconnecting with my past... in a good way [Re: dgoods]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
This has certainly made a change in me that I like.

I feel much more confident. I can talk with my coworker (yes, the one I have a strong attraction to, still) without feeling like a giddy school girl. I can be honest with him and talk about my feelings towards him comfortably. It seems I was constantly afraid that I was being abandoned, and he was aware of that. He would reassure me that I don't see or hear from him for a few days it has nothing to do with me. He's really great about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure we're both curious about each other on a similar level. The best I can describe it is to call it a strong and genuine feeling of innocent affection that neither of us would be afraid to share, if circumstances were conducive to it.

I think raising my antidepressant dosage has helped me to achieve a lot of clarity in the matter. Reconnecting with the ex-boyfriend was biggie. I just realized that he's either a good person who will make a good friend, or he's something else. I was ready to accept the disappointment if he was still a prick (I hate that word, but he kinda was), but I was of course hoping for the best. I'm so glad I did it.

I forgot to add that I disclosed my abuse to both of these people. The ex-boyfriend expressed some anger about it (at the perp), the guy from high school showed appropriate sympathy, so all in all I would say I fared very well. It's about time, I certainly deserve it.

Craig

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.