Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
3 registered (atari_kid86, 2 invisible), 81 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249982 - 09/17/08 01:40 PM Body Failure - Trigger Warning
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I don't know what's up with me but it sure seems like my body is self-distructing from the inside out lately and has been forcing me to have to go to the doc

I've always hated going to the doc

I know part of the reason why I struggle so much with docs is because of the way in which my uncle used to do sexual stuff to me with a doc kit he had

a few weeks back I had to go in to the doc because my urine was getting cloudy and I had pain/pressure - could'nt get in to see my normal doc so had to see the urgent care doc - who of course needs to do all of the touchy/feely checks to my private areas (including the finger up the rear check) - and also feels the need to ask me personal questions about my privates (yes, I do have scars visible from some of the things done) related to things from my past (at which point I mentaly checked-out from the room) - had to do a urine test and the doc I seen at urgent care wanted to do more tests to find out what actualy caused the infection in the first place - so they had to take a "sample" of the infection (don't even ask how) from the puss in my urethera to send to the lab for further analysis- turns out to be a general UTI (which is extremely rare for males to get) and I'm put on antibiotics for 10 days which cleared it up just fine (suppose that I should mention that I have had 1 UTI in the past - almost 15 years ago - so it would seem to be that I am the "rare" male who does get them)

fast forward to yesterday... had to go in to the doc again - this time for blood in my stool (bright red - not dark red) - it's a problem I've had since the 5th of this month that I was hoping would clear itself up on it's own but it did'nt (I've had blood before (just from small tears - which I knew this was'nt) but it usualy goes away after a couple of days which it did'nt this time which was quite worrysome to my wife who basicaly forced me to go see the doc) - once again I could'nt get in to see my normal doc so had to see the urgent care doc - turns out to be the same doc I had for the UTI - a doc I already don't really like... - so... - he asks all of the questions he can possibly think of and then wants to do an "exam" - he has me lay down on my back and undo my pants and pull my shirt up - he checks my abdomen first (guess he was just feeling for anything abnormal) - but... then he just grabs hold of my pants and underwear and yanks them down (without saying a word first) and goes to checking my genitals (which I am NOT there for!!! - I am there for problems with my backside - NOT my frontside!!!)(I basicaly checked out of the room mentaly at that time) - I remember him asking me about the infection - I remember telling him it was totaly cleared up - I remember that he manipulated my genitals more than I felt was necessary - I mean... it flat out hurt the way in which he squeezed my testicles and then pryed my penile head open to look down my urethra to see if he could see any residual signs of infection (which - keep in mind that I'm NOT there for anything to do with the UTI) - after he was done with my frontside I think he asked me a couple of times to roll on my side before I actualy did - at this point I was totaly in "frozen child mode" - I've never had a "finger check" done that way before - it kind of made me flash back to what my brother did to me when we was younger (something i had'nt thought on in many many years) - he seemed to really spend a long time "back there" (but then - maybe my mind was just too messed up at that point to track time)... I vaugly remember getting re-dressed at some later point and him saying that he could'nt find anything wrong even though there clearly was blood present there - soo... he tells me to wait for his assistant and he then leaves the room (at which time I finally break down into tears) - 5 minutes later she comes in (I'd dryed my tears by then) and tells me that they are going to schedule me for a colonoscopy to find out waht the problem is - so she gets on the phone and calls to someone else and sets up an apointment for the 29th of this month - then I have to go to the pharmacy and pick up the per>

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#250011 - 09/17/08 05:07 PM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: TJ jeff]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Jeff,

That doctor sounds like an a**hole. Sorry, that is just really poor bedside manner and when you add on the fact that you'd disclosed, he didn't even take that into consideration.

As for the colonoscopy, I hope you can do what is in the interest of your health. I have to have them pretty regularly and what I find is the worst part is the prep work (flushing out your system so your are as clean as a whistle all the way through). (The other part I don't like is that I get really sick on general anesthetic so when I wake up...ugh) I've been awake through the procedure and I must say it does feel weird - something poking around in your abdomen from the inside out. All I could think of was the first Alien movie when the creature jumps out of the guy's chest and runs across the table. (WARNING: the doctor will get mad if you laugh during the procedure.)

Do you have someone who can go with you?

Take care ((Jeff))...

Michael

#250017 - 09/17/08 05:32 PM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: M3]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Jeff,

I'm 28 and I have to get them done regularly too. I have enough problems down below because of what happened to me to make visits to the Urology and GI Clinics at the VA a painful experience, physically and psychologically.

The urgent care doc was a total jackass. You didn't deserve that and you really should see the Patient Care Rep or someone similar if you feel he was overboard.

If they do use a general anesthetic, do disclose PTSD to the anesthetist as they will need to know because I have had problems with flashbacks and anxiety after coming out from under. You really don't want that complication, trust me....

Go-Lytely of course is chug-a-lug, so be prepared to stay close to home that whole day before and most of the day of after the procedure recovering.

If you keep having UTI problems, make sure they fully check the prostate area. Lots of potential for problems there because of abuse issues. PM me if you need to know more in this area.

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#250028 - 09/17/08 07:29 PM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: LN3(SS)]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
A colonoscopy is basically a fishing expedition with a TV camera. I don't know your age, but it is a procedure normally done at the age of 50 and at 60, providing that you have medical insurance. Depending on who is doing it, where it is done, and what kind of insurance that you have, there could be a substantial co-pay. But having the procedure done is a regular preventative measure designed to find trouble like colon cancer. Your problem might just be hemorrhoids or some kind of an abdominal tear or intestinal infection, or possibly prostate problems or liver disease too. If you are having substantial on & off ongoing bleeding you should get it checked-out. A lot of the time it is performed under a general and you won't be aware of anything 30 seconds after the IV starts. Watch for passing a lot of gas when you wake-up in the recovery room.

The urgent care doc may very well be only a PA. Most of those places have one senior doctor and a bunch of underlings that can't find work elsewhere. Many urgent care or industrial clinics are operated by larger medical groups. I would file a complaint somewhere as far up the food chain as you can get. It would be best for that type of behavior to get reigned-in before there are many more victims.

Any chance that you have exposure to hep-c in your background? Having an intestinal infection and cloudy urine are two of the possible symptoms. Hep-c is a liver disease. The Mayo Clinic's website has extensive medical knowledge available to an online user including the ability to question their staff via email. The test for hep-c is a simple blood test that your general practioner could order.

What flavor did they give you? Their banana flavor was 2 on a 10 scale but I heard that it was better than some of the other flavors. Building on what Brian said, be prepared to stay close to the bathroom for much of the entire evening after drinking their product. I know that there could be a fair amount of trepidation given the circumstances, but it is the right thing to get it done and over with, just in case you have certain medical problems. Maybe while you are there they could do a throat scope too, especially if you have frequent heartburn and/or if you have ever smoked cigarettes or chewed tobacco.

Much more frequent trips to the doctor's office is one of the facts of aging, I'm afraid. But it is a good thing to find any potential trouble early enough to resolve it. Have hope, my man, we're all behind you.

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (09/17/08 07:33 PM)

#250033 - 09/17/08 08:02 PM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: Trucker51]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I've had to get a few scopes done before. Had to have some serious look inside as I too was gastro trouble. Barbaric in my opinion, but at least you get anestetized for the procedure.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#250109 - 09/18/08 12:28 AM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: FormerTexan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
It is a good idea to get colonoscopies done. Of course they need to be done competently.

If you don't have trust in the dr doing the scoping, try to find an alternative. It is your right, unless no one else is around.

It doesn't sound like your body is falling apart at all. The Dr. was rather indelicate.

I had a colonoscopy done where the Dr. and his nurse were preparing their stuff over my rear end. What bothered me was that they were smiling at each other. They were enjoying too much.

Allen

puffer

Edited by pufferfish (09/18/08 12:44 AM)

#250116 - 09/18/08 02:56 AM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: pufferfish]
jggab Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
I am very familiar with these examinations and procedures. Unfortunately they are performed by humans. It is unfortunate that some providers forget that these exams and procedures are new to some patients and can be very uncomfortable. As human beings. . .we tend to become complacent in our work. . . and just view our daily work as routine.... forgeting that this is anything but routine for the patient. Please voice your concerns to your doctor. If you don't get a satifactory response, please try to find another doctor. In addition, a comment to the patient contact representative would be helpful too. If the doctor doesn't get the feedback. . .he or she will think they are doing a good job and nothing is wrong with the way they approach their patients.
On another note: If you are having bleeding. . . that is not normal!!!!! And should not be ignored! It may very well be an internal hemorrhoid. . . but until you find the source of the bleed, it's not worth the risk of just assuming that it's "just a hemorrhoid".

As for the UTI's you have had. . . they are more common in females. .. but I wouldn't consider them "rare" in males. Just not as common.

I would encourage you to continue with the colonoscopy, but please communicate your concerns with your doctors (which I know is not easy).

I wish you well and hope you have better experiences with your docs.

Jon

#250198 - 09/18/08 03:31 PM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: jggab]
TJ jeff Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
thanx guys,

I did'nt tell the urgent care doc about my abuse history - but even still - I think that a doc should tell you what he is going to do before he actualy does it (ie - tell you he is going to pull down your underwear and check your genitals before he actualy does it - and tell you why he is doing it)

I am going to be talking with a patient care rep within the next week and will tell them then all about the last urgent care visit

I don't even know as of yet (waiting for a call from the clinic) who the doc is who will be doing the colonoscopy - and being that this is a small rural area clinic I'm fairly certain that they will want to do this procedure with me un-sedated as I've heard that is how they do it there

yes - my wife will be there with me

about the bleeding... - the doc I seen Tuesday did a VERY thourough finger check - said he could'nt find anything internal that could be causing the bleeding (though there was blood present) - because he could'nt find what was causing it - that is why he sceduled me for the colonoscopy

about the UTI - am going to have to keep a close eye on it - it was about 15 years since I'd had the last one though... - not sure what to think about the prostate being the problem - but if it comes back again I'll be sure to remember to ask them about it (unless you think I should ask them about it now - won't they be somewhat checking it out when they do the scope? - or is there some other test I should have done?)

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#250201 - 09/18/08 04:00 PM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: TJ jeff]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Jeff,

A finger check is a very gross exam. By that I mean it is not going to find small things. But you already knew this.

Waking sedation will feel more unnatural so be prepared. Take your anti-anxiety meds (if you take them) with you in case you can't handle the aftereffects. I know I got real anxious and it was almost impossible for me to do the scope awake.

UTI can also be handled with cranberry juice. I drink a lot of it and it helps. I also strongly recommend telling about the prior UTI and letting them decide about a more detailed exam of the prostate. The exam name for that is a cystoscopy. It is NOT pleasant for survivors and really needs a lot of consultation before being done. The scope will tell them if the prostate is seriously enlarged but not if less sseverly so. But that is another thread....

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#250207 - 09/18/08 05:54 PM Re: Body Failure - Trigger Warning [Re: LN3(SS)]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Jeff,

I'm so sorry you had such a clod for the exam. I saw a brochure at the Neighborhood Involvement Project with ideas for abuse survivors on how to approach medical and dental exams. There are a lot of people who have difficulties with exams, so they should know all about this. If they don't, hmm... I guess myself I'd want to tell them to get a fuckin' clue and read up on it NOW. It seems you should really only have to tell them you need extra attention to safety and communication due to very unfortunate past experiences. No details necessary.

I had a colonoscopy and actually, it wasn't too bad. I was given an IV Benzodiazepine/valium drug in the prep area which calmed me down a lot. I was half awake and nothing really unpleasant about it, except the Go-Lytely prep stuff. Lemon flavor. These people do lots of these every week so, as I've heard, they get real good at it, and perhaps it would be worth going someplace like there for it, if you can.

The brochure actually helped me put together why I don't like doctors, and that doctor in my past known as "Doc".

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.