Newest Members
jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive, BCtejas, JHNebraska
12494 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
7 registered (Anura, BuffaloCO, jahfree, 4 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12494 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447740 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#250081 - 09/17/08 10:30 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: AndyJB2005]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Oprah gets so much credit for being such a dilettante!

I remember her from her days as a reporter here in Baltimore. She was no good then and was quickly given the heave ho from
WJZ-TV. She has not improved over the years since!

Maybe she does "get it", but she should become a serious journalist and report the real news. The fact that abuse happens more in person than on the net. If not, maybe she should bow out in favour of real news reporters like she was fired by here in B'more.

Just my two cents,

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#250181 - 09/18/08 01:08 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: LN3(SS)]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I don't want to argue or criticise here, or make Oprah out to be my heroine. However, I did a search on oprah.com using "sexual abuse" which returns these results (below) showing quite a range of CSA: a lot more facets of sexual abuse than internet predators. Males abused, relationship effects much later, recovery, males abused by females-mothers, teachers and the double standard there, incest/abuse by parents and relatives,

I don't watch the show nor read the magazine, so I'd just like to get a sense of her place promoting awareness of CSA issues. While the points made here are true generally (stranger danger, mass media fluffyness) I think Oprah is covering the bases in a very helpful way. Not perfect, but progress is usually messy. I ran across this:

Quote:
In the scholarly text Freaks Talk Back,[19] Yale sociology professor Joshua Gamson credits the tabloid talk show genre with providing much needed high impact media visibility for gays, bisexuals, transsexuals, and transgender people and doing more to make them mainstream and socially acceptable than any other development of the 20th century. In the book's editorial review Michael Bronski wrote "In the recent past, lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, and transgendered people had almost no presence on television. With the invention and propagation of tabloid talk shows such as Jerry Springer, Jenny Jones, Oprah, and Geraldo, people outside the sexual mainstream now appear in living rooms across America almost every day of the week."

Now don't get set off by this... We aren't freaks and neither are gays, bisexuals, transsexuals, and transgender people. But this gives credence to the notion that even tabloid TV treatments of CSA are progress. Perhaps so, though we will all likely find it somewhat lacking.

Seach results if you're still reading:

Overcoming Sexual Abuse
Oprah & Friends host Gayle King talks with journalist and author Dominic Carter about his story of childhood sexual abuse.

Sexually Abused Men - Is Your Husband One of Them?
For the one out of six American men who were sexually abused as children, the results are always present, deeply corrosive, and wildly contagious. David France talks to a few brave men and the women who married them.

From Their Own Online World, Pedophiles Extend Their Reach
New York Times investigative reporter Kurt Eichenwald explores the world of online predators.

Was a Man in Your Life Abused?
Janice Palm, executive director of Shepherd's Counseling Services in Seattle, describes the pattern of behavior to watch out for.

Teri Hatcher Speaks Out
In a recent interview with 'Vanity Fair,' Teri revealed a painful secret that has tormented her for years.

FBI's Press Release for the Arrest of Walter Edward Myer
Federal Bureau of Investigation releases news of Walter Edward Myer.

Meet Masha, Adopted by a Pedophile
Masha's adoption went horribly awry when pedophile Matthew Mancuso became her new father. He wasn't subject to a background check before being allowed to adopt her.

Meet Masha, Adopted by a Pedophile
Masha's adoption went horribly awry when pedophile Matthew Mancuso became her new father. He wasn't subject to a background check before being allowed to adopt her.

Sexual Abuse
Oprah calls child molestation the great spirit-killer. See the heart-wrenching stories.

Child Protection Resources
A list of the resources Ed Smart thinks all parents should know about to protect their children from predators.

Secrets and Lies
Child molesters are everywhere. You may even know one. Women who discovered they were living with sexual predators open up.

Secrets Revealed
An NFL star and a high-profile celebrity reporter both come forward with their shocking secrets.

Smart Women on 'Stupid Girls'
Oprah says this show is a must-see for every parent.

Battling Addictions
Two young women with two serious addictions: Crack and cutting. Can their families' interventions help them stop?

'Please Daddy, No'
Oprah & Friends' host Gayle King talks to Jan Goodwin about her article on incest loopholes in 'O, The Oprah Magazine'.

Words of Wisdom
The world's youngest queen is a mother of four and committed to making the world a better place.

Secret Sex at School
Oprah discusses recent cases involving female teachers who have sex with their male students.

What Oprah Knows for Sure: Strength After a Betrayal
Oprah knows for sure that you can find strength after a betrayal or secret is revealed.

True Confessions
Who to turn to, when to tell, and when to keep a secret.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.