Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
7 registered (highflight, 1islandboy, 5 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63362 Topics
443068 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#249959 - 09/17/08 11:12 AM O Magazine
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Article in Oprah Magazine

Not all of the postitive stuff made it in but its still a good read.

#249961 - 09/17/08 11:23 AM Re: O Magazine [Re: Curtis St. John]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This is really good. Thank you.

What about reprints?

Could you get reprints and then distribute them through MS?

Or, get the Oprah network to grant permission to reprint them yourself for MS?

It would help a lot of people for years down the line.

Allen

puffer

#249968 - 09/17/08 12:05 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: pufferfish]
pluckmemory Offline

Excellent. Thank you, Curtis. And thank you for your bravery in coming forward.

#249972 - 09/17/08 12:24 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: pluckmemory]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
It is a good and important read. I'm disappointed they didn't plug the website or the organization more, not for lack of it being plugged by you, Curtis, your wife, me and other women here who were interviewed, but the story is out there. I'm not an Oprah fanatic, but I know many who are so this will reach a great number of people - for that I'm grateful.

ROCK ON.........Trish

#249973 - 09/17/08 12:36 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: Curtis St. John]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I just ran across this a couple days ago. Curtis, was this just recently published in O magazine and on the web?

Oprah is really doing some good work raising awareness of child sexual abuse and it's long term effects. Monday her show did a big program on internet child predators and related web sites and called for support of the PROTECT Our Children Act, US Senate Bill 1738.

You go girl!

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#249986 - 09/17/08 02:19 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: LandOfShadow]
pluckmemory Offline

Oprah was herself sexually molested as a child, which is why she "gets" it.

#250029 - 09/17/08 07:34 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: pluckmemory]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Why do celebrities always go after internet predators for their causes? They should go after where it happens most -- at home -- not least -- the internet.

#250032 - 09/17/08 08:00 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: AndyJB2005]
pluckmemory Offline

Well, actress Teri Hatcher was molested by a relative- an uncle, I believe. Her testimony helped put him behind bars. He just died in prison.

#250042 - 09/17/08 09:08 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: pluckmemory]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Andy, I agree that society at large is grossly unaware and uneducated about the problem at the home/neighborhood level, however, predators on the internet are very, very real.

I did an experiment myself because I was curious since my daughter was so enmeshed in MySpace. It was shortly before AOL, MySpace, FaceBook and other social networking sites were persuaded to cooperate with Attorneys General around the country. I created a page with the name of LonelyGirl15. There was nothing more than a one sentence profile for this fictitious character, something very innocent about needing a friend. Then I waited. By the time 30 days had gone by, I had 55 messages. I answered none and deleted all. I actually forgot about this bogus profile until the news that the social networking sites agreed to do some housecleaning at the request of the Attorneys General. At that point I went back to the profile only to find that the profiles of EVERY SINGLE person who had sent LonelyGirl15 a message (there were at least 150) had been removed by MySpace. I could only reach one conclusion - that the people who responded to this fictitious young girl were on sex offender lists so MySpace gave them the boot.

My fictitious profile no longer exists, so it was a short experiment, but a very telling one I think.

Oprah does do alot for children's causes in all forms and she uses her show to highlight sexual abuse no matter where it's found. She has a good heart, deep pockets and a world-wide audience - she uses all of it, but at the end of the day, for all of her power, she is still only one person.

ROCK ON.......Trish

Edited by Trish4850 (09/17/08 09:29 PM)

#250061 - 09/17/08 09:53 PM Re: O Magazine [Re: Trish4850]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
Which is why we shouldn't let kids on adult websites (eh-hem).

Fact is, there's pedophiles everywhere -- on the street, at the grocery store, on the net, everywhere -- and making the public believe/feel that it's mostly an internet problem is hurting society, I feel. It makes us complacent and feel safe in our own little bubble because, hey, they're just "those freaks on the 'net."

Maybe I'm mistaken but I don't remember any member here being a victim of an internet perp.

I know I didn't meet my dad on the net.

*shrug*

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.