Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63225 Topics
442120 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249951 - 09/17/08 09:23 AM How much do you exercise?
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
How much do you exercise?

i'm thinking of starting an exercise regime for me, like every day or something like that, just do a little something

i know there are different kinds of exercise and fitness, i think i want to be stronger, you know, not like a muscle man, but like just built nice and fit, and looking strong but not like a muscle man

i think i might try working out at home a little, i think it could be good

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#249953 - 09/17/08 09:54 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
I do martial arts twice a week. It helps with fitness and releasing stress. finding a good scholl is important since this kind of workout can be triggering. I told my instructor that I am a survivor and that really helped. It is quite empowering to have a workout that also teaches self defense techniques.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#249954 - 09/17/08 10:08 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
It is 74 feet from the laundry room to the master bath in my house and once a week I get some exercise pushing a grocery cart around Super Walmart. I also play golf, but ride in a golf cart. And just trying to clean-up that 2,300 sq. ft. that I call home can be exhausting too. Just ask Rosalita. And I still ski in the Winter, though not nearly as much as I did when I was in my teens, 20s, 30s, or 40s. Just climbing in and out of the cab 25 times a day is a fair amount of exercise. After a couple of days of hard work I enjoy a dip in the hot tub. I live within half a mile of two different rec centers but when I go there the people who are there look like they belong there. It is always tough breaking-in to a new crowd.

Remember "Refrigerator Perry?". I'm on page 38 of Adult Me. I used to be thin when I was younger, but that isn't the case anymore.

Maybe you should think about working-out. You don't want to end-up carrying a 50-lb sack or two around with you everywhere you go.

Try running up and back down the stairs while carrying a 25 kg sack of flour. I think 30 minutes every other day should suffice.

Don't drop the sack of flour either.

Mark

#249966 - 09/17/08 12:01 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: Trucker51]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

i don't think i would get large or anything if i didn't exercise, i'm naturally slim, i am not going to run up and down the stairs lol, but i think a short time to exercise in the day is good, maybe the morning. I used to go to kick boxing, but i just did it for fun and didnt do it for very long really.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#249971 - 09/17/08 12:16 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
a month ago i started becoming involved in karate. i took an interest in it as a form of exercise that complimented my current lifestyle.

i'd done the gym, ymca membership thing in the past. my getting involved in those activities were not pure intentionally, as i was using those activities in counterpoint to supplement a cure that i imagined i needed for being undersirable, as an apology for being 'out of shape'. of course my issues were about body image and self esteem.

my involvement in the martial arts is pure. in my pursuit of this discipline what i am really looking for is some type of regime that can keep me focused and on point regarding my own state of health, physically and mentally, particularly since i recently turned age 55. my purpose for this regime is simply to be the most efficiently functioning human being that i am able, at my current state of functionality.

after several private lessons and a few group sessions so far, this is the most rewarding and demanding form of self-discipline that i have ever practiced, and out of all the money that i have spent in the past to assuage my low self-esteem, this hands down, reaps the best results for overall health, body tone, and cardio vascular performance.

i am truly getting more for my money in this form of exercise.

ron

#249978 - 09/17/08 12:55 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
conflicted Offline

Loc: Greenville, SC
Ok, now this is my topic...

I exercise regularly, resistance training and cardio is the combo that will help you get healthier... which is the goal!!!

It is not that you want to look like Arnold, but the resistance training (weights) will help you get stronger, and more lean (less body fat), increase your metabolic rate which helps to keep the carbs from becoming fat!!!!

Personally, i want to be 'cut up' but not grotesque looking. For cardio, i take a spinner class (cycling) two or three times a week. This helps keep your ticker healthy, as well as increases your blood flow to every part of your body. It is a great way to "sweat out all of the impurities" that we take in everyday.

If you want to know more, PM me and I can give you an exercise regiment that will help you reach your goals.

bill

my story...finally out *triggers*

#249983 - 09/17/08 01:44 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: conflicted]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

i think you are right ron that exercise can do more for the spirit and self esteem than lots of other techniques

i have just been using some weights and i already feel a bit healthier and better!

thanks Bill, i'm intrigued, i have answered your PM for some tips

#249992 - 09/17/08 03:25 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Hey tut...

You'll not only feel healthier, but you'll be able to focus better on your school work too. If you want some tips, exercises, etc. Let me know. I'm the personal trainer for several clients. Just PM if you like.

Michael

#252051 - 09/30/08 08:36 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: M3]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Lewis,

I ought to get back into some kind of exercise regime, and if/when I do it will probably be swimming. I was really into it when I was young, and in high school I even got my Senior Lifesaving certificate and worked as a lifeguard one summer in college. Who woulda thunk it!? lol \:D After a rough time out on the West Coast, however, I avoided swimming for a long time. I got back into it once I had small children, and since then I've done it a number of times.

I found swimming was a great way to work out anger without hurting myself or getting violent against a tree (or whatever). i could just start swimming laps and soon i would be lost in my thoughts.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#258068 - 10/26/08 02:12 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: roadrunner]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
Remember to check with your doctor before starting an exercise regiment. Classes are always good. Finding something you enjoy doing is key. Also if you workout with a friend or trainer-it helps you stay on focus.

Any type of exercise will help self esteem. You'll look better and feel better. Not to mention, it demonstrates that you can take control of your life and your body in a very positive fashion.

#258192 - 10/26/08 10:44 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: deck]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
I try to do the gym a couple times a week, play soccer on Fridays when weather is good and some other stuff when I can. I can't stand to feel like I'm not inshape.

When I'm not having pain problems, some athletic stuff is the only thing I'm able to do at times.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#260082 - 11/04/08 08:32 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: usmc97]
oriolesguy Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Gotta do that... if I didn't I'd probably go nuts. I ride my bike to work three days/week (10 mi. roundtrip) all year, as long as it's above 20 degrees with no snow. Swimming the other two, with a swim team. Run anywhere between 3 and 8 miles, 5 days a week. I'll do that instead of lunch. And we usually have road races (5Ks right up to half-marathons) on weekends, March thru December, so I usually do some of those.

Exercise is my enabler. Because of it I can think more clearly, and accomplish much more, and in that respect I can feel better about myself.

If you're just starting out, get walking. Get outside. Even in the cold, bundle up, walk a comfortable distance, and you will feel MUCH better when you're done. You don't have to be a crazy marathoner/triathlete like I am to get some great benefits from exercise. Just be sure you don't overdo it the first few times. Go at a COMFORTABLE pace.

And you might want to invest in an iPod. Those are the best.

Oriolesguy

Edited by oriolesguy (11/05/08 08:16 PM)

#260346 - 11/06/08 05:45 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: oriolesguy]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

ipods are expensive, like over a hundred pounds i think, which is expensive for me, i really shouldn't spend that much money at the moment especially since i am not earning any money anymore, but it has been a serious consideration of mine over the past few weeks, i will think about it, that would definitely help with exercise and study i think , to have music palying in the background

#267060 - 12/13/08 11:39 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
AndyS87 Offline

Loc: sorry, but I don't say on the ...
Sorry to necro this topic but I think it's a good thread.

I think it's funny that so many of us have martial arts in common as a means of working out or just blowing off steam. I've been involved in martial arts for 7 years, since I was 14. I credit it for saving my life by getting me up off of a couch moping and playing video games to putting in a place where I could interact with real people and form positive relationships and friendships with a lot of people there. In about a month I'll actually be testing for a third degree black belt in one style of martial arts. I'm working towards a yellow belt in a second style. One is all about self defense techniques, the other is a full contact style that focuses on knock down sparring, it's called Kyokushin Karate. I always feel awesome after a good workout, and these places are most definitely saving my life. On top of that, knowing that I can fight and defend myself competently helps give me a sense of control over my life which I think is important because it helps to boost confidence as well.

#275431 - 02/15/09 10:43 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: deck]
faller2 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I exercise every day for two hours. It keeps me sane and physically feeling well. It's a time when I can check out mentally, and not think about anything for a long while. It's usually a midday reboot. I'm a personal trainer and competitive bodybuilder as well. I've done research in physical activity and emotional health. Bottom line: exercise equals happier healthier people. Better physical, mental, sexual, and emotional health. Hit those weights hard, eat less, and you'll feel great. I've also made some great relationships during my time at the gym.

#275440 - 02/15/09 11:18 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: faller2]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada
Hey Bro,

Being one with tendencies of the obsessive and the compulsive I have been on an off various "exercise/sport" regimes... Just before beginning my recovery, as I was beginning to change and look seriously and my self I began caring for myself and moving toward physical health... I was quite tempted to join a gym or go back to TaeKwonDo... however, it seemed that I would be faking myself out... I simply started doing what I believed I could persist at... I began walking 3 or 4 times a week... that began at about 25 lbs into close to 60lbs of weight loss (via weight watchers). I have continued this for nearly 2 years and feel great... this past summer we added a dog to our life and I take her out daily.

The short of it, in my humble opinion, take gentle steps that you know in your heart you will persist at and you have the best chance of success. My failed attempts were all in my Grandiose 'look at me, see I'm special' wounded boy stuff.

My two cents.

Hugs, Wes

Edited by wes-b (02/15/09 11:19 PM)

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#275647 - 02/17/09 12:44 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: wes-b]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Well if I exercise in the morning it can take up to two hours once I'm in the "zone". Otherwise I try to walk to and from the station and use stairs instead of escalators/lifts at the subway station or in buildings for low impact benefit.

I also walk as much as I can, and have dumbells for my spindly Obama Arms, but concentrate the bulk of cardio work on ab crunching as I don't want a beer belly when I don't drink - so have to burn off my food properly.

In fact I'd better do some right now...

#276579 - 02/22/09 12:52 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Charlie24 Offline

I had to add my two cents to this topic. I've found that exercise is so important in my overall health. I remember my mom getting me and my brother into exercising at the local YMCA in our hometown when I was younger. I've been trying to exercise ever since. Back in about 2002/2003 I really started to get serious about eating right and making good food choices. The key for me from what I've learned in my nutrition degree is to keep things in moderation and try to just get out and enjoy life. I like to mix it up, walking, running, weight training. I always feel so good, calm after I have a good work out. I recently started attending a new campus at my university and have about 2 1/2 hrs. of down time. I decided to start running on/around campus. I like this because I can kill two birds with 1 stone. I get to exercise and then I have it done for the day and then I have the rest of the evening once I get home to focus on homework. It seems to help with time management. I used to love spinning classes, haven't found one around here and I wish the University I attend would offer them, oh well. I really just love the natural high you get after exercise. Its like all my troubles, stress, anxiety, depression melt away and I feel on top of the world. It's a good feeling. So much better than any medication doctors tried on me. I like what others have said on this topic, start with something small and build it up. All this posting is really starting to help me guys.

Charlie.

#276984 - 02/24/09 08:38 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: Charlie24]
Frederick Offline

Loc: Virginia
I have not posted before, but I have followed many of the topics. I know that everyone recommends a therapist, but I have not heard anyone mention that they have a therapists that actually recommended exercise as part of their recovery. Why is this since everyone seem to agree on the benefits of how great it makes you feel about yourselves, especially when we stick to it. While I have not gone to see a professional, I do know the thing that helps me maintains my focus and mental health is exercise.

#277795 - 03/01/09 06:26 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: Frederick]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

I dont know if therapists recommend exercise, i assume at least some of them do, i think exercise is good, but then there is also the other side of it- where recovery could be impeded by over-reliance on the feelings that exercise may give you- so although exercise helps in many ways, i think that if it is over-relied upon it could become more of a distraction to the deeper healing. Its a balance.

#278017 - 03/03/09 08:56 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: Frederick]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: Frederick
I have not posted before, but I have followed many of the topics. I know that everyone recommends a therapist, but I have not heard anyone mention that they have a therapists that actually recommended exercise as part of their recovery. Why is this since everyone seem to agree on the benefits of how great it makes you feel about yourselves, especially when we stick to it. While I have not gone to see a professional, I do know the thing that helps me maintains my focus and mental health is exercise.

Welcome, Frederick!

It all depends if you think a therapist needs to mention it, if we figured it out already. For me it was a decade of swimming that seemed to keep the need for therapy at bay, as King Tut just said, maybe I was hooked on those endorphins. I've just got to the point now where I know I need to do something consistent to feel good, so now I don't even bother to track it or mark the number of reps or whatever, I just burn when I know I've eaten plenty, and I'm rewarded with more positive thinking.

#278023 - 03/03/09 09:23 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
Frederick Offline

Loc: Virginia
I suppose there is no one right answer for everyone when it comes to recovery. I do believe there is a body and soul balance. Unfortuneatly I think that no matter how much I change outside and even on the inside. When I look in the mirror I tend to see the other me. I suppose that's why they say not to judge success by the scales. We get in a rut where everything has to be quantifiable by an external number. For me the hardest step is always the first one, but off I go down that road one step at a time!

#281597 - 03/31/09 03:10 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
jbotha Offline

Exercising 4-5 times a week for around one and half hour with 30 min cardio is I think for a person is more than enough to be in good shape and be fit.

Edited by ModTeam (03/31/09 07:34 AM)
Edit Reason: to remove advertising sig line

#282961 - 04/09/09 05:20 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
jls Offline

I'm not much for gyms or anything like that, although I do tend to get alot of excercise on the "outside" i.e. cycling to work, walking most places, plus my job keeps me running around a fair bit. However, I found since I hit my 30's its not as easy to eat what I want and stay to fit with little to no effort. I suppose that's middle age for you "sigh"

#322845 - 02/21/10 11:59 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: jls]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm back to wanting to do some exercise.
I want to do it in the comfort of my own room, but haven't got money to go buying equipment, but i dont think you need much equipment.
I do have some weights, but really i want to toughen up my stomach, or abdomen.
I think mornings would be a good time for me to exercise- if i get up in time- if i manage to go to sleep on time.
I could exercise then shower and go to university.
I guess, if i was to have breakfast, i would have to exercise before breakfast.

I have a calendar and i could try to keep to some kind of routine. I think it is good to exercise, to feel good and all that. I think i might go for it.

#322859 - 02/21/10 12:45 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
kidneythis Offline

For the stomach I find lifting the legs on a Roman Chair works best as it tightens the lower stomach, the top half is easy to get with crunches. But you feel better about it when you do the bottom. It is also easier to do starting out.
You could get a pullup bar for the door to your closet and hang by it and bring your kness up to your chest as close as possible. Start with three sets of five and no matter how easy it is stop there increse the number in each set once a week. I liked the straps that go under the pits to do this with. They hang from the bar if you want to use them instead of using your hands to hold on. So that's the cost of the bar and the straps for a very good excercise that is easier and better than crunches.
I also recomend pushups. You don't have to do them all at once. Just set out a number you want to do in a day and even if you do them one at a time every half hour or 15 minutes, if you get them all in the day, it will work as if you had done them all at once. Trust me on this I used to do 100-200 a day and I started with 5 at a time getting 30-50 in one day but I was pretty fit to start. You can do it just 3 days a week.
Leg lifts laying on the floor, stretching, stretching, stretching! And any other caslisthetics you learned in school.

Of course I'm fat now but I got injured at work and my mental health was apparently fragile so I didn't maintain any regimen at all and just went downhill for the last ten years. Still I'm in better shape then most nondisabled men my age, 48, in this area from what I had before. So it's definitely worth it to do anything at all.

#322871 - 02/21/10 03:44 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: kidneythis]
philistine Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
I added 2 exercise classes to my schedule. It helps me tremendously. Stress reduction and just moving during the day make everything a little easier. I dislike exercise, it bores me, that is why I have the classes, they are graded and I have to go. If I keep it up for the entire time that I am in school, I will have turned them into a habit that I can carry with me for the rest of my life.

"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - Nietzsche

#322873 - 02/21/10 04:26 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: philistine]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Kidneythis, have you got any more details on the lower stomach exercises? i just tried some things but not sure if i did it right. My upper stomach is ok, but i think i should work on my lower stomach

I did try kickboxing classes, but i kept finding that i couldn't make it there and so i stopped going. I think something i can do in the morning at home is more schedule friendly for me.

Aslo i find that after exercising i feel like eating alot, is that normal? lol

#322972 - 02/22/10 01:24 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
kidneythis Offline

The leg lifts on the floor and the roman chair is all I know. The roman chair is easiest and most effective.

I suppose I should elaborate; For the leg lifts on the floor you just lay down straight and lift your legs. If it is a strain stop and lift your knees as far as you can pull them toward your chest. Over time it will build up and you will be able to lift your legs. This is mostly a whole ab excercise the bottom isn't hit as hard and exclusively as with Roman chair.
On the roman chair the same applies stop if you are straining. When you lift your knees toward your chest go as high as you can then let your legs down in a controlled manner don't just drop them.
I joined a gym and am doing 30 mins on the treadmill walking only up to 2.5mph so I can keep my form and build up the small muscles in my legs and glutes. I never was able to get them before because I didn't know it was important to get the form right not increase weight or speed. I am also doing 3 sets of roman chair which is hard on my shoulders since I weight 220 now and I was 165 when I got injured. Just work on doing the form correctly and use thera bands and your high school calisthetics until you can join a gym. You may not have to if you do the work.

Edited by kidneythis (02/23/10 08:35 PM)

#323090 - 02/23/10 12:57 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I have started walking almost every day. A brisk wa'k for over a mile. I will increase it slowly

Allen

#323136 - 02/23/10 08:36 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: pufferfish]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
I started playing soccer at about 13 or 14. Getting involved in that, riding a bike everywhere (too poor for a car) and ice skating, I then started to run to improve my soccer as I got into high school and college. Then Uncle Sam issued an upper body to me in basic, now I have a spare tire but still run sporadically and referee. Running is probably one of the reasons I was able to cope so well. For some reason, I would feel the pain of emotions, and the pain from my body and oddly, I was able to handle them both. It would take the panic out of it. I started my 12 yo son running with me. His anxiety and meltdown issues (high functioning autism) have eased. Now I have a kid that is chomping at the bit for the snow to melt and tax season to end so we can run. I highly recommend any exercise that you can get into and just cruise, running, biking, swimming, etc.

And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#325507 - 03/17/10 11:34 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: catfish86]
jnj Offline

I started lifting weights again at the ripe old age of 35. To reiterate what has already been said, regular exercise has had nothing but a positive impact on my life. I lift weights for about 3 hours a week, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and I also do about 45 mins of cardio after my weight sessions. I had lifted weights before but not on a regular basis but this time around I gave stuck to it. I noticed a change in my physique with the 1st 6 weeks and my body is responding more and more all the time. My mental wellbeing has also taken a massive boost. My T suggested doing this and as I have said I have never felt so great. My mood swings have nearly disapeared and my self confidence with who I am is great.

The only thing is to speak to your Doc before going on a gym regime and if you a little older I would suggest a daily multi vitamin and some cod liver oil.

I don't want to be massive or anything like that but seeing your body improve subtly over your weights will give you a great ego boost. It did me smile. Oh and I quite drinking at the same time and again that was a smart move.

Good luck and enjoy the results.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.