Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
1 registered (lapchinj), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63561 Topics
444080 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#278017 - 03/03/09 08:56 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: Frederick]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Originally Posted By: Frederick
I have not posted before, but I have followed many of the topics. I know that everyone recommends a therapist, but I have not heard anyone mention that they have a therapists that actually recommended exercise as part of their recovery. Why is this since everyone seem to agree on the benefits of how great it makes you feel about yourselves, especially when we stick to it. While I have not gone to see a professional, I do know the thing that helps me maintains my focus and mental health is exercise.

Welcome, Frederick!

It all depends if you think a therapist needs to mention it, if we figured it out already. For me it was a decade of swimming that seemed to keep the need for therapy at bay, as King Tut just said, maybe I was hooked on those endorphins. I've just got to the point now where I know I need to do something consistent to feel good, so now I don't even bother to track it or mark the number of reps or whatever, I just burn when I know I've eaten plenty, and I'm rewarded with more positive thinking.

#278023 - 03/03/09 09:23 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
Frederick Offline

Loc: Virginia
I suppose there is no one right answer for everyone when it comes to recovery. I do believe there is a body and soul balance. Unfortuneatly I think that no matter how much I change outside and even on the inside. When I look in the mirror I tend to see the other me. I suppose that's why they say not to judge success by the scales. We get in a rut where everything has to be quantifiable by an external number. For me the hardest step is always the first one, but off I go down that road one step at a time!

#281597 - 03/31/09 03:10 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
jbotha Offline

Exercising 4-5 times a week for around one and half hour with 30 min cardio is I think for a person is more than enough to be in good shape and be fit.

Edited by ModTeam (03/31/09 07:34 AM)
Edit Reason: to remove advertising sig line

#282961 - 04/09/09 05:20 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
jls Offline

I'm not much for gyms or anything like that, although I do tend to get alot of excercise on the "outside" i.e. cycling to work, walking most places, plus my job keeps me running around a fair bit. However, I found since I hit my 30's its not as easy to eat what I want and stay to fit with little to no effort. I suppose that's middle age for you "sigh"

#322845 - 02/21/10 11:59 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: jls]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I'm back to wanting to do some exercise.
I want to do it in the comfort of my own room, but haven't got money to go buying equipment, but i dont think you need much equipment.
I do have some weights, but really i want to toughen up my stomach, or abdomen.
I think mornings would be a good time for me to exercise- if i get up in time- if i manage to go to sleep on time.
I could exercise then shower and go to university.
I guess, if i was to have breakfast, i would have to exercise before breakfast.

I have a calendar and i could try to keep to some kind of routine. I think it is good to exercise, to feel good and all that. I think i might go for it.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#322859 - 02/21/10 12:45 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
kidneythis Offline

For the stomach I find lifting the legs on a Roman Chair works best as it tightens the lower stomach, the top half is easy to get with crunches. But you feel better about it when you do the bottom. It is also easier to do starting out.
You could get a pullup bar for the door to your closet and hang by it and bring your kness up to your chest as close as possible. Start with three sets of five and no matter how easy it is stop there increse the number in each set once a week. I liked the straps that go under the pits to do this with. They hang from the bar if you want to use them instead of using your hands to hold on. So that's the cost of the bar and the straps for a very good excercise that is easier and better than crunches.
I also recomend pushups. You don't have to do them all at once. Just set out a number you want to do in a day and even if you do them one at a time every half hour or 15 minutes, if you get them all in the day, it will work as if you had done them all at once. Trust me on this I used to do 100-200 a day and I started with 5 at a time getting 30-50 in one day but I was pretty fit to start. You can do it just 3 days a week.
Leg lifts laying on the floor, stretching, stretching, stretching! And any other caslisthetics you learned in school.

Of course I'm fat now but I got injured at work and my mental health was apparently fragile so I didn't maintain any regimen at all and just went downhill for the last ten years. Still I'm in better shape then most nondisabled men my age, 48, in this area from what I had before. So it's definitely worth it to do anything at all.

#322871 - 02/21/10 03:44 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: kidneythis]
philistine Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
I added 2 exercise classes to my schedule. It helps me tremendously. Stress reduction and just moving during the day make everything a little easier. I dislike exercise, it bores me, that is why I have the classes, they are graded and I have to go. If I keep it up for the entire time that I am in school, I will have turned them into a habit that I can carry with me for the rest of my life.

"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - Nietzsche

#322873 - 02/21/10 04:26 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: philistine]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Kidneythis, have you got any more details on the lower stomach exercises? i just tried some things but not sure if i did it right. My upper stomach is ok, but i think i should work on my lower stomach

I did try kickboxing classes, but i kept finding that i couldn't make it there and so i stopped going. I think something i can do in the morning at home is more schedule friendly for me.

Aslo i find that after exercising i feel like eating alot, is that normal? lol

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#322972 - 02/22/10 01:24 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
kidneythis Offline

The leg lifts on the floor and the roman chair is all I know. The roman chair is easiest and most effective.

I suppose I should elaborate; For the leg lifts on the floor you just lay down straight and lift your legs. If it is a strain stop and lift your knees as far as you can pull them toward your chest. Over time it will build up and you will be able to lift your legs. This is mostly a whole ab excercise the bottom isn't hit as hard and exclusively as with Roman chair.
On the roman chair the same applies stop if you are straining. When you lift your knees toward your chest go as high as you can then let your legs down in a controlled manner don't just drop them.
I joined a gym and am doing 30 mins on the treadmill walking only up to 2.5mph so I can keep my form and build up the small muscles in my legs and glutes. I never was able to get them before because I didn't know it was important to get the form right not increase weight or speed. I am also doing 3 sets of roman chair which is hard on my shoulders since I weight 220 now and I was 165 when I got injured. Just work on doing the form correctly and use thera bands and your high school calisthetics until you can join a gym. You may not have to if you do the work.

Edited by kidneythis (02/23/10 08:35 PM)

#323090 - 02/23/10 12:57 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: kidneythis]
pufferfish Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I have started walking almost every day. A brisk wa'k for over a mile. I will increase it slowly

Allen

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.