Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#258192 - 10/26/08 10:44 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: deck]
usmc97 Offline

Loc: Colorado
I try to do the gym a couple times a week, play soccer on Fridays when weather is good and some other stuff when I can. I can't stand to feel like I'm not inshape.

When I'm not having pain problems, some athletic stuff is the only thing I'm able to do at times.

The statistics? 1 in 4, 1 in 6?
...then there's me the imaginary number

#260082 - 11/04/08 08:32 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: usmc97]
oriolesguy Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
Gotta do that... if I didn't I'd probably go nuts. I ride my bike to work three days/week (10 mi. roundtrip) all year, as long as it's above 20 degrees with no snow. Swimming the other two, with a swim team. Run anywhere between 3 and 8 miles, 5 days a week. I'll do that instead of lunch. And we usually have road races (5Ks right up to half-marathons) on weekends, March thru December, so I usually do some of those.

Exercise is my enabler. Because of it I can think more clearly, and accomplish much more, and in that respect I can feel better about myself.

If you're just starting out, get walking. Get outside. Even in the cold, bundle up, walk a comfortable distance, and you will feel MUCH better when you're done. You don't have to be a crazy marathoner/triathlete like I am to get some great benefits from exercise. Just be sure you don't overdo it the first few times. Go at a COMFORTABLE pace.

And you might want to invest in an iPod. Those are the best.

Oriolesguy

Edited by oriolesguy (11/05/08 08:16 PM)

#260346 - 11/06/08 05:45 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: oriolesguy]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
ipods are expensive, like over a hundred pounds i think, which is expensive for me, i really shouldn't spend that much money at the moment especially since i am not earning any money anymore, but it has been a serious consideration of mine over the past few weeks, i will think about it, that would definitely help with exercise and study i think , to have music palying in the background

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#267060 - 12/13/08 11:39 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
AndyS87 Offline

Loc: sorry, but I don't say on the ...
Sorry to necro this topic but I think it's a good thread.

I think it's funny that so many of us have martial arts in common as a means of working out or just blowing off steam. I've been involved in martial arts for 7 years, since I was 14. I credit it for saving my life by getting me up off of a couch moping and playing video games to putting in a place where I could interact with real people and form positive relationships and friendships with a lot of people there. In about a month I'll actually be testing for a third degree black belt in one style of martial arts. I'm working towards a yellow belt in a second style. One is all about self defense techniques, the other is a full contact style that focuses on knock down sparring, it's called Kyokushin Karate. I always feel awesome after a good workout, and these places are most definitely saving my life. On top of that, knowing that I can fight and defend myself competently helps give me a sense of control over my life which I think is important because it helps to boost confidence as well.

#275431 - 02/15/09 10:43 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: deck]
faller2 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I exercise every day for two hours. It keeps me sane and physically feeling well. It's a time when I can check out mentally, and not think about anything for a long while. It's usually a midday reboot. I'm a personal trainer and competitive bodybuilder as well. I've done research in physical activity and emotional health. Bottom line: exercise equals happier healthier people. Better physical, mental, sexual, and emotional health. Hit those weights hard, eat less, and you'll feel great. I've also made some great relationships during my time at the gym.

#275440 - 02/15/09 11:18 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: faller2]
wes-b Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Western, Canada
Hey Bro,

Being one with tendencies of the obsessive and the compulsive I have been on an off various "exercise/sport" regimes... Just before beginning my recovery, as I was beginning to change and look seriously and my self I began caring for myself and moving toward physical health... I was quite tempted to join a gym or go back to TaeKwonDo... however, it seemed that I would be faking myself out... I simply started doing what I believed I could persist at... I began walking 3 or 4 times a week... that began at about 25 lbs into close to 60lbs of weight loss (via weight watchers). I have continued this for nearly 2 years and feel great... this past summer we added a dog to our life and I take her out daily.

The short of it, in my humble opinion, take gentle steps that you know in your heart you will persist at and you have the best chance of success. My failed attempts were all in my Grandiose 'look at me, see I'm special' wounded boy stuff.

My two cents.

Hugs, Wes

Edited by wes-b (02/15/09 11:19 PM)

Continuing to meet more of my fellows as I "Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny".

My Story, 1st pass

#275647 - 02/17/09 12:44 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: wes-b]
ComicBookGuy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: London, England
Well if I exercise in the morning it can take up to two hours once I'm in the "zone". Otherwise I try to walk to and from the station and use stairs instead of escalators/lifts at the subway station or in buildings for low impact benefit.

I also walk as much as I can, and have dumbells for my spindly Obama Arms, but concentrate the bulk of cardio work on ab crunching as I don't want a beer belly when I don't drink - so have to burn off my food properly.

In fact I'd better do some right now...

#276579 - 02/22/09 12:52 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: ComicBookGuy]
Charlie24 Offline

I had to add my two cents to this topic. I've found that exercise is so important in my overall health. I remember my mom getting me and my brother into exercising at the local YMCA in our hometown when I was younger. I've been trying to exercise ever since. Back in about 2002/2003 I really started to get serious about eating right and making good food choices. The key for me from what I've learned in my nutrition degree is to keep things in moderation and try to just get out and enjoy life. I like to mix it up, walking, running, weight training. I always feel so good, calm after I have a good work out. I recently started attending a new campus at my university and have about 2 1/2 hrs. of down time. I decided to start running on/around campus. I like this because I can kill two birds with 1 stone. I get to exercise and then I have it done for the day and then I have the rest of the evening once I get home to focus on homework. It seems to help with time management. I used to love spinning classes, haven't found one around here and I wish the University I attend would offer them, oh well. I really just love the natural high you get after exercise. Its like all my troubles, stress, anxiety, depression melt away and I feel on top of the world. It's a good feeling. So much better than any medication doctors tried on me. I like what others have said on this topic, start with something small and build it up. All this posting is really starting to help me guys.

Charlie.

#276984 - 02/24/09 08:38 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: Charlie24]
Frederick Offline

Loc: Virginia
I have not posted before, but I have followed many of the topics. I know that everyone recommends a therapist, but I have not heard anyone mention that they have a therapists that actually recommended exercise as part of their recovery. Why is this since everyone seem to agree on the benefits of how great it makes you feel about yourselves, especially when we stick to it. While I have not gone to see a professional, I do know the thing that helps me maintains my focus and mental health is exercise.

#277795 - 03/01/09 06:26 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: Frederick]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I dont know if therapists recommend exercise, i assume at least some of them do, i think exercise is good, but then there is also the other side of it- where recovery could be impeded by over-reliance on the feelings that exercise may give you- so although exercise helps in many ways, i think that if it is over-relied upon it could become more of a distraction to the deeper healing. Its a balance.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.