Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
2 registered (Jay1946, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63126 Topics
441435 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249951 - 09/17/08 09:23 AM How much do you exercise?
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
How much do you exercise?

i'm thinking of starting an exercise regime for me, like every day or something like that, just do a little something

i know there are different kinds of exercise and fitness, i think i want to be stronger, you know, not like a muscle man, but like just built nice and fit, and looking strong but not like a muscle man

i think i might try working out at home a little, i think it could be good

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#249953 - 09/17/08 09:54 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
Ken Followell Offline
President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Bradenton, FL
I do martial arts twice a week. It helps with fitness and releasing stress. finding a good scholl is important since this kind of workout can be triggering. I told my instructor that I am a survivor and that really helped. It is quite empowering to have a workout that also teaches self defense techniques.

Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet. Don't let it bother you, relax and keep on goin
- Michael C. Muhammad

"I get up. I walk. I fall down. Meanwhile, I keep dancing."
� Rabbi Hillel

#249954 - 09/17/08 10:08 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
It is 74 feet from the laundry room to the master bath in my house and once a week I get some exercise pushing a grocery cart around Super Walmart. I also play golf, but ride in a golf cart. And just trying to clean-up that 2,300 sq. ft. that I call home can be exhausting too. Just ask Rosalita. And I still ski in the Winter, though not nearly as much as I did when I was in my teens, 20s, 30s, or 40s. Just climbing in and out of the cab 25 times a day is a fair amount of exercise. After a couple of days of hard work I enjoy a dip in the hot tub. I live within half a mile of two different rec centers but when I go there the people who are there look like they belong there. It is always tough breaking-in to a new crowd.

Remember "Refrigerator Perry?". I'm on page 38 of Adult Me. I used to be thin when I was younger, but that isn't the case anymore.

Maybe you should think about working-out. You don't want to end-up carrying a 50-lb sack or two around with you everywhere you go.

Try running up and back down the stairs while carrying a 25 kg sack of flour. I think 30 minutes every other day should suffice.

Don't drop the sack of flour either.

Mark

#249966 - 09/17/08 12:01 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: Trucker51]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

i don't think i would get large or anything if i didn't exercise, i'm naturally slim, i am not going to run up and down the stairs lol, but i think a short time to exercise in the day is good, maybe the morning. I used to go to kick boxing, but i just did it for fun and didnt do it for very long really.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#249971 - 09/17/08 12:16 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
a month ago i started becoming involved in karate. i took an interest in it as a form of exercise that complimented my current lifestyle.

i'd done the gym, ymca membership thing in the past. my getting involved in those activities were not pure intentionally, as i was using those activities in counterpoint to supplement a cure that i imagined i needed for being undersirable, as an apology for being 'out of shape'. of course my issues were about body image and self esteem.

my involvement in the martial arts is pure. in my pursuit of this discipline what i am really looking for is some type of regime that can keep me focused and on point regarding my own state of health, physically and mentally, particularly since i recently turned age 55. my purpose for this regime is simply to be the most efficiently functioning human being that i am able, at my current state of functionality.

after several private lessons and a few group sessions so far, this is the most rewarding and demanding form of self-discipline that i have ever practiced, and out of all the money that i have spent in the past to assuage my low self-esteem, this hands down, reaps the best results for overall health, body tone, and cardio vascular performance.

i am truly getting more for my money in this form of exercise.

ron

#249978 - 09/17/08 12:55 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
conflicted Offline

Loc: Greenville, SC
Ok, now this is my topic...

I exercise regularly, resistance training and cardio is the combo that will help you get healthier... which is the goal!!!

It is not that you want to look like Arnold, but the resistance training (weights) will help you get stronger, and more lean (less body fat), increase your metabolic rate which helps to keep the carbs from becoming fat!!!!

Personally, i want to be 'cut up' but not grotesque looking. For cardio, i take a spinner class (cycling) two or three times a week. This helps keep your ticker healthy, as well as increases your blood flow to every part of your body. It is a great way to "sweat out all of the impurities" that we take in everyday.

If you want to know more, PM me and I can give you an exercise regiment that will help you reach your goals.

bill

my story...finally out *triggers*

#249983 - 09/17/08 01:44 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: conflicted]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

i think you are right ron that exercise can do more for the spirit and self esteem than lots of other techniques

i have just been using some weights and i already feel a bit healthier and better!

thanks Bill, i'm intrigued, i have answered your PM for some tips

#249992 - 09/17/08 03:25 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: king tut]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Hey tut...

You'll not only feel healthier, but you'll be able to focus better on your school work too. If you want some tips, exercises, etc. Let me know. I'm the personal trainer for several clients. Just PM if you like.

Michael

#252051 - 09/30/08 08:36 AM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: M3]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Lewis,

I ought to get back into some kind of exercise regime, and if/when I do it will probably be swimming. I was really into it when I was young, and in high school I even got my Senior Lifesaving certificate and worked as a lifeguard one summer in college. Who woulda thunk it!? lol \:D After a rough time out on the West Coast, however, I avoided swimming for a long time. I got back into it once I had small children, and since then I've done it a number of times.

I found swimming was a great way to work out anger without hurting myself or getting violent against a tree (or whatever). i could just start swimming laps and soon i would be lost in my thoughts.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#258068 - 10/26/08 02:12 PM Re: How much do you exercise? [Re: roadrunner]
deck Offline

Loc: Indiana
Remember to check with your doctor before starting an exercise regiment. Classes are always good. Finding something you enjoy doing is key. Also if you workout with a friend or trainer-it helps you stay on focus.

Any type of exercise will help self esteem. You'll look better and feel better. Not to mention, it demonstrates that you can take control of your life and your body in a very positive fashion.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.