Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Can-tex (45), cbchorn (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (Cthulhu, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12487 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447617 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#249851 - 09/16/08 01:41 PM Olympic Medalist Goes Public With Sexual Abuse
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Olympic Medalist Goes Public With Sexual Abuse

Margaret Hoelzer squirms in the leather chair, trying to get comfortable. She kicks off the flip-flops and tucks her feet underneath her body. Shifting again, she slings her legs over the side of the chair, revealing the star-spangled toenail polish that still remains from the Beijing Olympics.
Margaret Hoelzer
U.S. swimmer and Olympic silver medalist Margaret Hoelzer speaks during an interview with The Associated Press in Huntsville, Al., on Friday, Sept 12, 2008. Hoelzer revealed her secret -- saying she was sexually abused as a child.
(John Bazemore/AP Photo)
More Photos

She takes a deep breath, ready to reveal her secret -- saying she was sexually abused as a child.

Now, the swimmer who won three medals at the Beijing Olympics is ready to share her story and work to make sure what she says happened to her doesn't happen to other kids.

... more at:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=5810324&page=1

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#249869 - 09/16/08 04:42 PM Re: Olympic Medalist Goes Public With Sexual Abuse [Re: LandOfShadow]
pluckmemory Offline

Thank you so much for posting this moving story, LandOfShadow.

#249872 - 09/16/08 04:59 PM Re: Olympic Medalist Goes Public With Sexual Abuse [Re: LandOfShadow]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yes, Thank you for this post. It helps.

Allen

puffer

#250182 - 09/18/08 01:10 PM Re: Olympic Medalist Goes Public With Sexual Abuse [Re: pufferfish]
LandOfShadow Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I'm glad you appreciated it.

People are talking about this more. I can't say how much I think that is a good thing. And, it's healing to me to think that awareness about this is improving.

And by the power of a single word I can begin my life again, I was born to know you, to name you
Freedom

Paul Eluard

#250234 - 09/18/08 10:37 PM Re: Olympic Medalist Goes Public With Sexual Abuse [Re: LandOfShadow]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Stories like this keep me/us moving.

Thank you for sharing...!!!

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.