Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cards (33), korbin2003 (39), Rosemary (53), Zebra (47)
Who's Online
3 registered (thedudeabides, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63213 Topics
442016 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#249343 - 09/12/08 08:18 PM My Dog: Needed Advice
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
This is a dog question, but just in case I'm going to say it might be triggering for some.

My dog is a mixed breed. One vet thought he was half Prince Charles Spaniel and half country dog (first over the fence).

He's an excellent dog. Very loving and faithful. Doesn't destroy stuff. Doesn't attack children, etc.

We got him when a friend found him along the highway covered with mud and fleas. Somebody had turned him out of a car.

But. He may have been abused as a puppy. Longe before he came to me. When he was first brought to us he was kind of hyperactive sexually. He would do these "thrusting motions" with his bottom. It looked like he had been exposed to sex with people but of course I don't know for sure. We had him neutered and that seemed to help a lot. He wasn't quite fully mature when he came to us. Now when I am reading or watching TV or writing in MS, he'll come up and thrust his bottom toward me repeatedly. I don't do anything in response but it sure seems like he's trying to tell me something. Is there any way to help him?

Can anybody help me with this problem?

Allen

puffer

#249353 - 09/13/08 12:23 AM Re: My Dog: Needed Advice [Re: pufferfish]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

Allen,

It's hard to know why he is doing that and if it is a conditioned response from a previous owner or just something some dogs do. My dog Shelby who is female does something similar or the same thing as your dog. She will come up to people who re sitting down and turn her back side to them and when they pat her on her back at the base of her tail she will thrust her hind legs up. With her I no there has been no abuse or anything that has brought this condition via abuse or any other external influence because I have had Shelby since she was eight weeks old.

Mike

#249808 - 09/16/08 02:42 AM Re: My Dog: Needed Advice [Re: Barkabus]
LittleMissL Offline
New Here

Allen, when dogs so that, it is usually an act of dominance by the dog more then anything sexual. Yes it is more common to see it in male dogs, but even female dogs will do it, my female dog used to do it to my male dog.

You need to work with him on establishing that you are the alpha in your "pack". Next time you see him doing this behavior don't ignore it but correct it immediately. The key is disciplining him in the way that dogs discipline each other.

The first correction you should be is take hold of your dogs collar,make eye contact and give a deep growl of "NO" If he continues again make eye contact, and growl no and add in a small shake (just grab his collar on each side and give a gentle shake, sort of like you would see a mother dog give a puppy, that is basically what you are doing)

Hopefully that should help. Have you taken him to any obedience training classes at all? That kind of work will also help with establishing that you are the boss of the pack and not him.

Hope this helps!

#249809 - 09/16/08 02:44 AM Re: My Dog: Needed Advice [Re: LittleMissL]
LittleMissL Offline
New Here

Just wanted to add that a great book to read about dog training and behavior is How to be your dog's best friend by The Monks of New Skete.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Your-Dogs-Best...21547389&sr=8-2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.