Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443141 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#249361 - 09/13/08 06:47 AM This post is again "sneetches".
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I had a software bug that made me loose my ability to post, but I was still able to modify posts already made, so I used this post for a while to alert everyone to that fact.Now to avoid confusion I will explain that this post was originally about a music video I made called "If only we were sneetches" that can be seen here .

Edited by blueshift (09/20/08 01:57 PM)

#249368 - 09/13/08 08:39 AM Re: "sneetches" [Re: blueshift]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
doug another very powerful project. we are all guilty as charged when it comes to practicing divisive behaviors which marginalize people[s] whom we fear or don't understand.

it is said that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and when we build fences to close off ourselves from others, we are really caging ourselves ourselves in a closed system of belief where only certain perspectives are welcome.

how does that serve the individual or the whole community?

looking back with hindsight, there is an apparent emergence toward the realization of propriety of representation that is pointing to unification of purpose, a preservation of the oneness of conformity. unfortunately, divisive enclaves all believe in the verity of their own camp.

the struggle to balance the warring dualisms that constitute our battle ground is a fight being fought within both the individual and concurrently within the community at large.

what keeps it all from falling apart? i keep asking myself that question more and more. and i am relieved to realize that even though i can't answer that question, that the something which is keeping it all together is far, far greater than the sum of its parts.

#249371 - 09/13/08 09:23 AM Re: "sneetches" [Re: blueshift]
Joel Rosset Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks Doug for the vid - we all need constant reminders that there is more pain in the world than just simply our own. I find that this is what helps keep me grounded & in balance.

Yes my pain is legitimate and is worthy of being recognised, respected & honored. But I am not alone on this planet and if I dare to ask for validation of my pain from others, I believe that I also have a responsability to step up and do what I can to relieve the suffering of my fellow man.

Oh yes, and this - I'm not proud to be Gay simply because I have nothing to be ashamed of!

Joel

#249412 - 09/13/08 01:50 PM Re: "sneetches" [Re: Joel Rosset]
blueshift Offline

I was first introduced to the sneetch story in highschool on the first day of sociology. The teacher sat down in front of the class and read this little story of the sneetches and then said "And that, boys and girls, is what it's all about."

After thinking it over I came to agree that that ingroup/outgroup
dynamic in human nature seems to be the biggest factor in humanities bigotry.

The big challenge, as I see it is in opposing it without becoming part of it. As soon as there is an us and a them we are already in trouble. I know I would never have been able to attend the funeral of Mathew Shepard without ending up in jail after some brawl with the Phelps crowd.

Just the idea of visiting more anti-gay bullshit on the funeral of an anti-gay hate crime victim just infuriates me no end. I simply have no way to comprehend that kind of mentality.

It's like someone who has never been molested or abused coming on this site and telling us all that we deserved it and that we are now all going to hell for being victims.

The only way I'm able to think of those kind of people as people at all is to think of them as being mentally retarded. In a very real sense I believe they are. How could they not be and still think the way they do as though their world view really makes some kind of twisted sense?!

But there are other forms of mental retardation than things like fetal alcohol syndrome or mongoloidism. Teaching small children the cultural heritage of hatred while discouraging independent thought can work "wonders". This is why I love Dr. Suesse's approach of wrapping it in a simple children's story.

#249414 - 09/13/08 02:18 PM Re: "sneetches" [Re: Joel Rosset]
blueshift Offline

Originally Posted By: Joel Rosset

Oh yes, and this - I'm not proud to be Gay simply because I have nothing to be ashamed of!

Good point. It's easy to get so caught up in just not buying in to the shame that you loose sight of the fact that there is more to pride than lack of shame.

If I was some almighty being I would like to put the Phelps crowd in some kind of parallel (?) universe in which none of the homosexuals ever existed or contributed what they did to the human collective. See how anti-gay they all are at the end of THAT tour! Especially considering that many of the major contributions to our body of knowledge and culture have, no doubt been made by individuals who, because of their need to be in the closet to literally go on living and breathing in their society, will never be recognized by history as being gay.

Who knows how many closet homosexuals have been the architects of our present world?

Take the contributions of every individual with any amount of homosexuality out of the equation and what we have is --sing along with me boys and girls, "Flintstones...meet the Flintstones...their an average stone age fa.. ma leeeeee, from the...town of Bedrock,...they're a page right out of his toreeee."

PS. Straight people might take offense at that, and I'm not saying that nothing at all has been contributed by purely straight people, but if none of us gay or bi had ever been here, things would be pretty dismal! I'm sure the middle ages in 2008 would be the optimistic scenario.

Edited by blueshift (09/13/08 02:33 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.