Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63568 Topics
444128 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#249277 - 09/12/08 11:52 AM Voter fraud already in Ohio
Kevin McParland Offline
New Here

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
This scares me. I heard the same thing happened in Minnesota, another swing state. What has happened to this country? We are supposed to be in the 21st Century, not the dark ages.

Ballot snafu endangers votes
By Jon Craig • jcraig@enquirer.com • September 11, 2008

About one-third of the absentee ballot applications received at the Hamilton
County Board of Elections have been ruled invalid because Republican Sen. John McCain’s presidential campaign printed a version of the form with an extra, unneeded box on it.

In a narrow interpretation of Ohio law, Democratic Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner says many of the McCain forms have not been completed properly. If the box stating the person is an eligible elector -- or qualified voter – is not checked, Brunner said, the application is no good.

Even though the box is unneeded, by not checking it voters are essentially admitting they’re not eligible, Brunner said.

“I have not seen a ruling that indirectly impacts voters to the enormity of this since I’ve been here,’’ Hamilton County Board of Elections Deputy Director John Williams said of his nearly five-year tenure at the board.

More than 750 absentee ballot requests in Hamilton County have been invalidated because of Brunner’s ruling, Williams said.

Absentee voting begins in 19 days, or on Sept. 30.

If a registered Ohio voter’s application is rejected, Brunner said, “We said you have to notify them within 48 hours and we also suggest that (Board of Elections) send them a new application.”

That means county Boards of Election must contact tens of thousands of voters and ask them to fill out a new, valid form in time to vote for the Nov. 4 election.
The McCain campaign says it mailed out about 1 million of the faulty forms.

"The form contains the necessary requirements and has been accepted in past elections, so this election should be no different,’’ Jon Seaton, McCain’s regional campaign manager,’ said today. "Qualified voters who request absentee ballots should receive them.’’

“If I were a voter, I wouldn’t be very happy,” Brunner said. “I’m stuck with the law. You shouldn’t have to check a box.”

Brunner insists she would have ruled the same way if the absentee ballot applications were printed by Sen. Barack Obama’s Democratic campaign for president.

Regardless, her ruling is likely to be challenged in court.

Williams said he has asked a county prosecutor how to proceed. He said state law does not require a separate box on a form, only a printed statement that the voter is a qualified elector.

“This has been a huge wrench in our operation,’’ Williams said.

“There’s an enormous time and cost involved,’’ Williams said. “If that box was not there, but a four-leaf clover was there, what do you do with that? What if it was a circle that was next to that? What if it was an asterisk? Effectively what she is saying is it doesn’t need to be there, but if it’s there you need to check it.”

Letters will be sent out to everyone whose absentee applications were rejected, with instructions on how to fill out the form properly. Williams wondered aloud what part of the faulty form should be returned to avoid new confusion, and not disenfranchise voters.

Brunner was elected in 2006 on a campaign encouraging fewer restrictions on voters and more improvements in the election process to make the system easier and more transparent following two presidential elections in which Ohio was riddled with problems involving punch-card ballots, touchscreen machines, long lines and registration snafus.

Brunner said state law does not require one standardized form to apply for an absentee ballot. While the Secretary of State prints its own application, the law says it need not be a particular form. A voter can merely send a letter with personal information that identifies him or her as a qualified elector to receive an absentee ballot, Brunner said.

Some county Boards of Election have asked Brunner why they should pay to fix the application error. “The law is clear. The problem is with McCain’s form,’’ she said.
But Brunner said she does not have the authority to order any campaign to reimburse counties for the new mailing costs to fix the problem.

#249279 - 09/12/08 12:01 PM Re: Voter fraud already in Ohio [Re: Kevin McParland]
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
"Those who cast the votes decide nothing.
Those who count the votes decide everything."

Challenge for you? (Without going to google)

Who said this?

Update, ok, since no one has answered:

Edited by Hauser (09/13/08 10:27 PM)

#249670 - 09/15/08 12:57 PM Re: Voter fraud already in Ohio [Re: Hauser]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
If you think that this small gaffe is bad, check-out Black Box Voting.org. It seems that most all of the primaries were fraudulent. Just as an example, in the California primary, except in five Counties, the winning percentages of the Republican candidates was almost identical. So McCain got 50% or so, Romney got 30%, Huckabee got 15%, and Ron Paul got less than 5%, in all but five Counties. And there were massive breakdowns of the Diebold vote-counting machines. Hundreds of thousands of votes were invalidated or lost. And that was just the Republican primary in California.

In a local primary in Connecticut, the loosing candidate challenged the election results when it was discovered that nearly 1000 more people had voted than were even registered. He only lost by a few hundred votes.

Since I am a former Cleveland Democrat and the record turnout in Hamilton County combined with a lack of voting machines in many Democrat precincts swung Ohio in 2004, I say: "What comes around, goes around". Too bad that this mistake wasn't discovered until late October. Then there would really be something to whine about.

Mark

#253633 - 10/08/08 03:00 PM Re: Voter fraud already in Ohio [Re: Trucker51]
sunwolf Offline

Loc: Indiana
My worst fears is violence...if there is vote fraud this time...I can see also right wing thugs on the streets if the dems win..thats whay is bad al lthose accusations of terorist and traitor and so on..many nuts out there can get themselves bold enough to do it...

#253637 - 10/08/08 03:06 PM Re: Voter fraud already in Ohio [Re: sunwolf]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio
Guys, I live in Ohio. I've voted in every election since I turned 18 in 1985. I sent my change of address in last spring. They sent me a conformation form and I sent it back, they sent me another one because the form they sent me didn't have a signature line on it, I returned it and got another request for updating my address. I sent it back. Just yesterday I got another request - yesterday was the deadline to register for the fall election. I'm going to be REALLY pissed if they try to prevent me from voting...

#253642 - 10/08/08 03:12 PM Re: Voter fraud already in Ohio [Re: M3]
sunwolf Offline

Loc: Indiana
WE NEED TO FIGHT THIS ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#253644 - 10/08/08 03:24 PM Re: Voter fraud already in Ohio [Re: M3]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Who was that Texas Republican that threatened to "take things into our own hands" when the 2000 preseidential election results from Florida were tied-up in the Supreme Court? Yeah, I worry about right-wing zealots too. And I got an address update request that said that I didn't have to return it if everything was right. I have never received one before and voted by mail in our primary. Nor have I received my mail-in ballot yet. After all of the other accusations of vote and voter-registration fraud in Ohio and other States this election season, it just makes me wonder what is really going on.

How about that debate last night? CNN had the aggregate score among their six debate judges at Barack 69 to McCain 28. Sounds like a good old-fashioned Ohio State vs. Northwestern drubbing.

'Cain & Pa'in: 4 More Years!!! DOW 7,000 +/-. Yippee.

Go Barack.

Mark

#253647 - 10/08/08 03:46 PM Re: Voter fraud already in Ohio [Re: Trucker51]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
If this election is stolen on some gangster sh*t like the last 2, I can imagine some rioting, Sunwolf -- especially with everyone hurting so badly...

I don't know if we've ever been so divided, except maybe in the 1860s. :-X Maybe in the 60s, I don't know. I've wondered for a few years, too, if Civil War was ever possible again. I certainly don't want it of course, but I always wonder stuff...hm...*shrug* I'm weird. lol

#253699 - 10/08/08 07:03 PM Re: Voter fraud already in Ohio [Re: AndyJB2005]
Kevin McParland Offline
New Here

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I am so thankful that Obama is so far ahead in the polls. I just read an article today in the NY Times. David Brooks described Palin as a "cancer that has grown in the Republican Party. I consider her to be "David Duke in lipstick." She has a definite agenda to peddle which is frightening. The stratecy of the extreme right wing is "divide & conquer". McCain probably would not have been a bad candidate back in 2000 before W. did him in. Now he appears to have sold out to the right wing. It is interesting to me that in the "blue states", the Republicans are much more moderate. I consider Ohio a "blue state" too as it has only "gone red" because it was stolen.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.