Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
5 registered (outis, lostsoul824, 86, Bluedogone, 1 invisible), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63185 Topics
441820 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#245781 - 08/20/08 11:23 AM Increased Celexa to 40mg 4 months ago
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Well it's been 4 months since I doubled my citalopram HBr (generic for Celexa) from 20mg to 40mg and all I can say is that I wish I had done it at least a year sooner.

It hasn't really changed my overall anxiety levels, I still use clonazepam for that.

BTW, clonazepam (generic for Klonopin) is the only benzo that has shown any promise for helping people with PTSD. I have a couple studies that I saved. It didn't say that it cured them or anything like that, but the symptoms of anxiety and flashbacks were much better controlled long-term than with xanax, valium, and I think a couple others.

Anyway, what I noticed initially was a stronger desire to be with my partner. I felt this sort of loneliness and I wanted to be around him more. I would say that qualifies as feeling less desire for isolation. I feel like I have a much stronger desire for social interaction, I see people having cookouts and sitting on restauraunt patios and I feel like I'm missing something.

It's like I've been hiding from the world and now I want to get out in it. I may eventually go up to 60mg but I'll see what my doctor thinks.

I'm very happy with these results so far.

Craig

Guilt and shame have never done any of us any good at all.

#248469 - 09/07/08 09:45 AM Re: Increased Celexa to 40mg 4 months ago [Re: cbfull]
Joel Rosset Offline

Loc: Canada
Hey Craig,

I've only just started on Celexa - to soon for me to tell yet. Talk to your doctor about a syndrome called Social Phobia (the quick way to describe it is that it's the very low end of Agaraphobia). Reading your post tells me that it's at the root of your troubles and yes, Celexa is excellent for the treatment process. You yourself can tell that you're on the right path, man, you don't need advise from me - just remember that recovery is a process not an event. Be kind to yourself and take all the time you need to get to where you want to be.

My thoughts are with you, Craig

Joel

#248601 - 09/08/08 08:16 AM Re: Increased Celexa to 40mg 4 months ago [Re: Joel Rosset]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Social phobia... hmm, sounds about right. It would seem that feelings of inadequacy and shame are certainly dominant here, at least for me.

I have to confess I have been "unfaithful" to the board, only because I came across another board which has a special category for sexual abuse of males. I think it's worth checking out, and I will start a thread in the general forum with link. Just seems like a good idea to have more resources.

Abuse Survivors Forums

I noticed that I have been spending a lot of time pondering the difference between sex and love lately. Like understanding that not knowing the differnce can be a big part of my difficulties with crushes, i.e. they become very deeply important and painful for me. I am beginning to understand when I am strongly sexually attracted to someone, which is not love, and how to separate them in my mind.

Thanks for the reply, I've been hoping for some feedback.

Craig

#248620 - 09/08/08 10:22 AM Re: Increased Celexa to 40mg 4 months ago [Re: cbfull]
Joel Rosset Offline

Loc: Canada
Thanks Craig,

I just registered on the site from the link you provided, and you're right man, we can't have to many ressources. I appreciate this. Here's a thought for today:

All wise souls carry deep scars.

Have a good one, Craig

Joel (sweetboy)

#248661 - 09/08/08 03:44 PM Re: Increased Celexa to 40mg 4 months ago [Re: Joel Rosset]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, I believe that thought.

If you wanna take it a step further, that suggests among several things, that the deep scars are what made us wise.

Just a little bit of thought to add.

Craig

#248685 - 09/08/08 07:03 PM Re: Increased Celexa to 40mg 4 months ago [Re: cbfull]
KENKEN Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NOTHERN COLORADO
I am glad celexa is working well for you guys. I started on celexa but the headaches were to much for me to take. So tried prozac which didn't work. Now I am on Effexor.

I too have noticed many changes in my mood/emotional swings. Don't know if it was the med's, but now that you have brought this up, I need to ask my PSY. when I see him on Wednesday.

Ken

From the Movie: Antwone Fisher

***WOR ALUMNI SEQUOIA MARCH 2008***

#248861 - 09/09/08 03:29 PM Re: Increased Celexa to 40mg 4 months ago [Re: KENKEN]
cbfull Offline
MaleSurvivor

Headaches huh? I hope they started you on a low dose. I started 20mg quite a few years ago. I remember my head sorta zapping whenever I would look quickly to the left or right, disturbed me at first, but then I found out it was common and it goes away.

Something strikes me as odd about doctors prescribing effexor, cymbalta, or any other norepinephrine (NE) reuptake inhibitor.

People with PTSD or CPTSD classicly show high levels of NE already. Serotonin seems to be lowered as well as dopamine. Based on these studies I have increased my serotonin with celexa and boosted my dopamine with l-selegeline, which is an enzyme inhibitor that almost exclusively prevents dopamine from being broken down, but only at low doses (less than 10mg per day). In effect, I have used a sort of backdoor way to lower my norepinephrine, and I feel better than ever, despite the occasional flashback (well maybe a bit more than occasional), then it's Klonopin to the rescue.

In several studies I read it said that increasing NE tended to make PTSD symptoms worse. Don't take this too seriously though because, the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.