Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
archie chisholm (61), Carlos418 (37), courtney (52), kurotake (55), lostsoul (63), Lukesgirl (28), michael banks (2014), Steffon (42)
Who's Online
1 registered (On The Fringe), 61 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62514 Topics
438101 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#24867 - 11/28/02 10:15 AM Re: Effects of sexual abuse lessened by Massage Therapy
Wuamei Offline

Loc: The left turn I should have ta...
Here is a web address (sorry I can't figure out how to make it a direct link) for an excellent article, excerpts from Massage: A Career At Your Fingertips by Martin Ashley:

http://www.careeratyourfingertips.com/chilabu.htm

Those planning on going into massage therapy, especially with abuse survivors, like Don, will probably really appreciate this.

Those planning on going for massage therapy as abuse survivors will also find this extremely helpful I think.

While written for those going into massage therapy as a career, it helps us as potential clients know how massage could be for us & for the MT. It could also open up helpful discussion for better massage.

If nothing else one could give a potential MT the article ask them to read it & tell them what they think, and decide if that MT is right for them accordingly.

You don't even have to say you've been sexually abused, its about abuse in general, no need for any detail.

It may be worth looking at to enhance our understanding, whether we are looking for an MT or not...

Wuame

#24868 - 11/28/02 11:23 AM Re: Effects of sexual abuse lessened by Massage Therapy
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Wuame,
Thanks for the info, I've got the page bookmarked!

The Touch Research Institute is wonderful in my opinion. I know that they are putting the "proof" or the "scientific" numbers to massage and not just massage, but touch. I am glad that there is such a place and only wish that I too could have experienced good touch as a child and as I grew up.

Last night I was actually thinking that what if parents just gave their kids a hug every day or maybe one in the morning and at night. A simple thing. Just think of a little child and how much affect that would have on their life for the future. Just thinking about this kind of blows my mind and yet our society tends to withdraw from other people. Once I get licensed I hope that I can volunteer my time with the Touch Research Institute so I can help to make a differance in the lives of these people.

Thanks again for the information. The article is very good.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#24869 - 11/30/02 03:10 PM Re: Effects of sexual abuse lessened by Massage Therapy
Sleepy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona, USA
MrDon,
My parents are complete emotional cripples. My dad experienced a lot of trauma early in his life and the way he dealt with it was by shutting his emotional life off. My mom is a passive person and defered everything to my dad. As a result, I had no emotional guidance and very little hugging. Kind of a cold environment in these terms. I've been very starved of this type of attention. I've often wondered, even before I realized I was sexually abused, what would I be like if my childhood wasn't so emotionally cold. It's pointless to dwell on this but now I need to figue out how to become more in touch with my emotions (ie--less co-dedependant).
mike

"Mental health is a commitment to reality at all times."
--M. Scott Peck

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.