Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
4 registered (traveler, GT13568, 2 invisible), 28 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447698 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#248264 - 09/05/08 09:34 AM 30 years, now what?
familymember Offline

An abuser of a child is living comfortably in another state. Who knows what he's up to. The statute of limitations has expired. What can I do to make sure he can't do this any more? I've just found out, and I'm very angry. I want him to regret his crimes, but I don't want to draw the victim into the mess. He's trying to forget and move on. The abuser is living a seemingly comfortable family life. His young friends and neighbors might think otherwise.

I need some level headed advice. Thanks.

#248270 - 09/05/08 09:57 AM Re: 30 years, now what? [Re: familymember]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
dear familymember.

I see you are #6000 on the MS Board. Congratulations. But we haven't a clue as to even what state you reside in. At least tell us the state of the perp you describe below. Otherwise how can we advise?

Originally Posted By: familymember
An abuser of a child is living comfortably in another state. Who knows what he's up to. The statute of limitations has expired. What can I do to make sure he can't do this any more?

#248273 - 09/05/08 10:46 AM Re: 30 years, now what? [Re: familymember]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Honestly? There really is nothing you can do; if he's a registered sex offender, then hopefully adequate notification has already been provided to the community; if not, let's say you warn the guy's neighbors, and he gets wind of it- then it legally amounts to hearsay, and could result in all sorts of nasty legal problems for you, including harassment, defamation of character, etc. I don't mean to bring you down, god only knows i'd love to see my 2nd perp rot in jail (if he's still alive), but the legal system is really only useful after a crime has already been commited, and even then the burden of proof is on the prosecution. It's almost useless when it comes to prevention of SA, if the perp's never been caught, and as you've said the statute of limitations has run out. Again, even if you only "spread the word" about the creep, and it's traced back to you, the law would be on the side of the perp. I'm no lawyer, but i would urge extreme caution and self-restraint; it seems that cases where the SA happened years ago that have been resolved in favor of the plaintiff(s) have mostly involved institutions (such as the Catholic Church, etc.) where there were initial complaints, multiple victims/witnesses, and documentable paper trails/organized cover-ups. If your situation involves a lone individual, i'm afraid there's not much legal recourse, and of course i'd never recommend going outside the system, since it would only most likely backfire badly. The best i can tell you is to use all available methods to deal with your anger and frustration, and i encourage you and the survivor in your life to make the most out of resources such as this site.
I'm sorry you are in the situation you're in, but feel free to post and participate as much as you need to here, there's a lot of great people here.

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#248305 - 09/05/08 07:07 PM Re: 30 years, now what? [Re: familymember]
familymember Offline

No. 6000? A nice even number, how about that.
The statute of limitations was 20 years after the victims 18th birthday, and it's long since expired.
The threat of getting sued is something I'm keeping in mind. Perhaps a tip to local law enforcement and a call to some of the SA's in laws would put a bug in some ears. I'm willing to risk getting found out to some extent. I'll give it all some careful thought.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.