Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
3 registered (VASurvivor, I Want 2 Thrive, 1 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63397 Topics
443267 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#248048 - 09/03/08 04:08 PM Self v. Others
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Last night I was sitting in the chat here. Things became rather heated and then it turned into what appeared to be personal attacks. They were directed both at me and at several people that I trust and consider friends here.

After reviewing my responses, and anger today, in my mind; I realized that the personal attack against me didn't seem to bother me as much as the attack against the other people in chat did. I was perfectly willing to show up and defend the other people that were being hurt, regardless of how much doing so might hurt me.

I'm wondering if this might be either a hold over or a symptom of my abuse coming out to play. Before I was hurt, I was taught that at 500 feet deep, one person can sink the boat so you help each other out. After I was hurt, I isolated so hard I couldn't let anyone in that close. This is the first place that I have gotten to know people and trust them to the point that I care.

I am looking for any input that anyone might have. Maybe even to tell me that I'm way off base.

Thanks,
Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#248049 - 09/03/08 04:38 PM Re: Self v. Others [Re: LN3(SS)]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
I would actually think that regaining empathy and support for others is a sign of personal progress, especially combined with what you said about how the affront didn't bother you as much as the effect that it might have had on other people did.

I made a long response to JustScott today on this forum which I hope that you take a look at. It is about working away from isolating.

JustScott's topic is "Fear of being alone/isolated".

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (09/03/08 04:40 PM)

#248050 - 09/03/08 04:48 PM Re: Self v. Others [Re: LN3(SS)]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
Sorry to hear that; my first decision regarding any kind of conflict on the site, whether posts or chat, is to remove myself from the situation, and if need be let the mods know where i stand. If somebody's obviously way out of line, i assume that it will be obvious to any impartial observer, and i prefer to let mods handle it.

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.