Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
2 registered (Cthulhu, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63188 Topics
441843 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#247350 - 08/29/08 10:23 PM Re: Educating professionals about male victimization [Re: ericc]
River Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
Ken,

I think I would focus most of my time on assessment because a simple initial intake really does not get it. I think so much gets missed in a traditional psychosocial assessment. The clinicial needs to really assess for PTSD, dissociative processes, sexual compulsivity issues, gender identity issues and so, so much more.

So, in short. What are the things the average clinician would typically miss with a male victim of sexual abuse and how do you assess it. You likely would just begin to touch on the treatment aspect... challenging the participants to GO GET MORE TRAINING! LOL!

Glynn

#247366 - 08/30/08 01:12 AM Re: Educating professionals about male victimization [Re: River]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Ken,

These are all great suggestions, I especially like River's take on things.

I would like to add I've had huge problems with boundries. Many clinicians would view boundaries as a situational type thing.

No...!!! It is a new way of life, a new way of being, and it should be taught. I taught myself with a book by Anne Katharine.

no one pointed out dissociative processes to me, I also learned this one from a book (Beyond Betrayal) Until I made the Dissociation\Association connection...I was always left with the what's wrong with me feeling?

Why? Knowledge like this from books?

I didn't see OCD, I might have missed it, but would like to make sure it gets added.

When the children cry, Little Fighter (White Lion)

island

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.