Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (TW16, 2 invisible), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63788 Topics
445453 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#247273 - 08/29/08 02:02 PM Old adage "sticks and stones..." Wrong!!!
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

The idea that name calling and teasing and such came up in chat one night (long time ago, not recently) and when I suggested the idea that words can do far more damage than physical beatings etc. and even suggested that such might be the underlying motivation for why some youths in various school shootings did what they did, I all but got my @$$ handed to me, was belittled, and made to feel like utter crap, and one fellow even suggested that somehow I was no different than them.

Nice to have some experts back that up with real test data and such and show that the effects of emotional pain last longer than the physical.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7587780.stm
This one is related as well:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7512107.stm

Edited by JustScott (08/29/08 02:05 PM)

#247275 - 08/29/08 02:25 PM Re: Old adage "sticks and stones..." Wrong!!! [Re: JustScott]
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Scott,

I'm sorry that you were belittled in chat. I don't go there hardly at all mainly because I never did get the 'shorthand lingo' down and have 'dial-up' so everything is at a glacial speed.

Good articles. I agree. Name calling and teasing and social rejections do hurt and can have lasting effects.

Take care,

Steve

#247329 - 08/29/08 08:40 PM Re: Old adage "sticks and stones..." Wrong!!! [Re: Stephen_5]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Scott,

Having been on the receiving end of some of that name calling and bullying I can attest to how much it hurts and how it causes the suffer to develop coping mechanisms that may not be healthy in the long run.

Thanks for sharing these articles. Glad you feel vindicated by the research \:\)

#247380 - 08/30/08 04:52 AM Re: Old adage "sticks and stones..." Wrong!!! [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Scott,

I can't imagine that anyone who has ever been subjected to a campaign of name-calling and teasing could ever believe that it doesn't hurt and doesn't have long-lasting effects. You were 100% right and I'm sorry you had trouble over this in chat. Just goes to show that being loud and insistent about something doesn't make it true. Thanks for posting those two articles.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#247404 - 08/30/08 10:07 AM Re: Old adage "sticks and stones..." Wrong!!! [Re: roadrunner]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi Scott,
For sure sticks & stones may never hurt is totally false, While I was in a Catholic orphanage/home my name was Eagle Beak, as my nose was broken when I was 6 mos old, supposedly by my father. I lived there for 4 years, and it did take it's toll as I already had low self esteem. I was 10-14 yrs old. Heal well my friend.
Pete

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#247408 - 08/30/08 10:16 AM Re: Old adage "sticks and stones..." Wrong!!! [Re: petercorbett]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Hi Scott,

I agree that the mind-fuck that was done on me was far worse than the physical effects of what was done, although they were sometimes done hand in hand. What they did to my body is long gone, but what they did to my mind is what I'm still wrestling with today.

#247486 - 08/30/08 05:10 PM Re: Old adage "sticks and stones..." Wrong!!! [Re: EGL]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Scott,

The bruises heal but the words never do.

mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.