Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kinghenri (26)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64031 Topics
446842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247154 - 08/28/08 08:56 PM .
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 06:17 PM)

#247203 - 08/29/08 02:45 AM Re: concentration issues [Re: bardo213]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
lynchmob,
I think you'll find plenty of people here with that- i myself have been told for years (in school, etc.) "has trouble following through", "tendency to daydream" and so forth. My mind easily jumps from one subject to another, one thing sparks off memories or associations with another... plus my subconscious will randomly interject things (like right now; the old jingle for Fig Newtons is playing in my head. Why?)

I also identify with overusing the intellect at the expense of just experiencing stuff, i think it's a safety trick as well as a result of hypervigilance, and plus it could just be how my brain's wired, too- some people enjoy baseball, sunsets, and picnics; i enjoy analyzing people's enjoyment of baseball, sunsets and picnics ;-)

Would you call yourself more of a "visual" person, as opposed to "verbal"? Do you find it harder to read things that don't make a vivid picture in your mind? I do. Also, stress makes it much MUCH harder to focus for me, it's like a deranged moth replaces my train of thought.

When i post here, it's not uncommon for me to take forever, simply because i'll get lost in thought halfway through, and forget that i never finished the thought i was writing! If it's a reply, I'll often have to scroll up to the original post and re-read it, just to make sure i've stayed at least sort of on topic.

The only thing that's helped me focus is catching myself at the moment i start to wander off. Sometimes all i can do is come back to something later, when i'm not so easily distracted. Sometimes i think CSA can cause us to feel preoccupied in a low-level, constant way; we can't stop "thinking" about it, yet we aren't "allowed" to consciously think about it.

Anyway, i'm sure somebody else can give better focusing advice than me, but i just wanted to let you know, you're not the only one that gets attacked by "brain fleas" ;-)

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#247281 - 08/29/08 03:04 PM Re: concentration issues [Re: dgoods]
supertalented Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
I am not an expert on these things at all, but there is quite a bit of literature on ADD and sexual abuse/trauma. There are many treatment modalities available. Also, treating adult ADD can do wonders for self-esteem.

Go well!

#247283 - 08/29/08 03:14 PM Re: concentration issues [Re: supertalented]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: lynchmob212001
Im having a hard time focusing on reading books
I want to indulge into everything so I read a little here a little there

What you describe could be caused by several different things of a combination of them. It is not uncommon. Perhaps your mind is still a bit immature and you haven't come to the place of focusing on one thing. Some students succeed by finding an area they find so fascinating that they are able to concentrate on it.
can't stay focused because my mind starts to get side tracked with other things.

Here I wonder what is it that side tracks you. It might be interesting for you to make a brief journal of this. When your mind gets side tracked, where does it go? Then look at this later to draw conclusions.
If you are unable to journal because the distraction is shame-provoking, then this itself is an important clue.

Is that because of my anxiety/trauma past? and what ways can I fine tune this to stay focused?

Yes, trauma in the past and anxiety issues could certainly be the cause or a contributing cause. Depending on how much pain you are in, you might want to seek a capable counselor to help you work this through. In this case there is something in your past which is bothering you intensely to the point that when you start studying it bobs to the surface enough to distract you.
To fear my own feelings and actions because of my past? lynchmob

It certainly sounds as though you have some issues from your past which are bothering you to a significant extent. You are probably asking whether you need to look at those issues with a counselor. The answer would be a yes. You need a little help to get focused on the right road.

Allen

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (08/29/08 08:45 PM)

#247286 - 08/29/08 03:32 PM Re: concentration issues [Re: supertalented]
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lynchmob,

Anyone who knows me, knows I have a very hard time concentrating. My attention span is very short. I have always daydreamed, for as long as I can remember. I actually never minded dissociation. I may have been confused when reality finally hit, but I seemed to have a good time while I was "gone".

I am fairly intelligent. I graduated from college. I have a good job. Thank God I have an "administrative assistant' who looks after me and keeps me on schedule.

I hate going to meetings because after about 20-30 minutes, I am daydreaming. It is humiliating to be called on during a meeting and all I can give them for an answer to a question is that deer in the headlight look. I hate that feeling. I actually have people call me on my cell phone so that I can escape meetings. Better to have them think I am busy, than to have them think I am dense.

I have had this problem since I was in 3rd or 4th grade. This is about the same time as my SA began. I personally think it is related.

Medication, I have heard does work, although it seems any time I was on meds, it was for anxiety, and those meds just made me more spacey.

You learn tricks, Lynchmob. You jot notes and stick them all over the place. I usually have a pocket full of notes by the time I get home...thing is, it' usually too late to bother with whatever is written on the notes by the time I empty my pockets.

I have terrible short term memory, too. Do You? In fact, I received a call today from a coworker who asked me if I would date this lady that I have dated before. She told me this lady had a wondreful time with me the last time she was in town. I asked what her name was, and when she told me, I swear I have no idea whose face this name goes with. But to cover myself, I said, "Sure, I'll go out with her again while she's in town." I will remember her whenever I see her, but I cannot remember names. Pray for me. LOL

I am 52, so I don't think this is going to improve. I deal with it. However, do not settle because of my advice. If you find something that works, don't forget me.

My T told me a lot of this was due to my PTSD. He should know.

Good luck, Lynch.

#247299 - 08/29/08 06:03 PM . [Re: FLRich]
bardo213 Offline

Edited by bardo213 (06/21/13 06:17 PM)

#247322 - 08/29/08 08:21 PM Re: concentration issues [Re: bardo213]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
just to comment, i hate the labels of ADD and ADHD, and these days, doctors give these labels out like smarties, sure, some people may be a little hyper or have difficulty concentrating, but kids take these labels as permission not to try, and i know that from people i know (not all kids obviously, but in britain i would say most who have this label do), something goes wrong they say oh i have ADHD. I am not saying these are not real problems, it is just this kind of labelling that i hate, gives out all the wrong kind of messages, and categorises people in a way that kids take as a badge of acceptance so that they don't even try, that's all

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#247345 - 08/29/08 10:11 PM Re: concentration issues [Re: king tut]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
Lynchmob,
I too have problems with concentration and focus, although these issues were there before the abuse, they were most likely linked to the chaotic family life I had due to my fathers illness. A few people have begun to hypothisize that trauma (which includes prolonged chaotic situations (type 2 trauma) ) and ADD are linked.

Here's the de>

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#247351 - 08/29/08 10:23 PM Re: concentration issues [Re: onlyakid]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
That was well said, jtt5254

Allen

puffer

#247367 - 08/30/08 01:17 AM Re: concentration issues [Re: pufferfish]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
And sometime back on the board Ken Singer said something to the effect that medical professionals have a much more difficult time getting paid when they try to diagnose PTSD symptoms. The inference was that it was much easier to get paid for an ADD/ADHD diagnosis.

Do you seem to learn more from hands-on experience or do you learn better from books? Both extremes are normal. I learned a great deal over time from looking at the photos in magazines and encyclopedias, and now we have the internet. Text in books was always tougher, as my mind would want to wander as I was reading, and I would always get pictures in my mind that were distractive. I was diagnosed with ADD 11 years ago at the age of 40, and like someone else said, medications seemed to help somewhat both with my penchant for loosing things and my easy distractibility, and with gaining my lost self-esteem. I still have problems with misplacing things and with being late a lot, but the problem isn't as bad as it once was. Because of that and my advanced position with other recovery issues, I am feeling a lot better about myself.

Mike (mogigo) said something once about a wide range of PTSD symptoms, from mild to acute DID. One of the milder symptoms is mild dissociation and getting easily distracted. I would have to believe that these symptoms would affect you all across the board though. I too like what jtt5254 has said about PTSD and changes that those afflicted suffer from which often are misdiagnosed, quite possibly in order to get paid.

What we don't know might not hurt us too badly, hopefully, and at the very least, I will get paid and your desire for and lack of real progress will keep you coming back for more. After all, at least here, medicine is a big business.

Just my thoughts,

Mark

Edited by Trucker51 (08/30/08 02:23 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.