Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
4 registered (BuffaloCO, Still, kcinohio, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64148 Topics
447585 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#247410 - 08/30/08 10:33 AM Re: what do you guys think? [Re: River]
inthegrass33 Offline
New Here

i read somewhere in a book on trauma, that people who recover their capabilities go on to start their own 'communities'. the way i translated is that maybe leaving and the fear of the unknown are diminished by all the suffering.

and how could you expect anyone you've known to understand what you've been through? i've noticed all the people around me saying 'everything will be alright' and shit like that really don't see the extent of the mental suffering that goes on behind what seems like a calm exterior in a person.

so i say go for the journey. you've proved you can go through a lot. why not take the lesson you've learned and build something on it?

Edited by inthegrass33 (08/30/08 10:36 AM)

#247449 - 08/30/08 02:06 PM Re: what do you guys think? [Re: River]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
jf,

I understand your situation better now.
Are your plans for medical school in Australia been in the works for awhile or just since you came back from Europe?

I know the need for distance from your family of orgin.
My family lives on the east coast of the US and I have choosen to live here in California.

Just be aware of why you are moving.
Your own issues of CSA and look for support in australia.

Sorry if I came on alittle strong in my first post, been going thru some things myself.

Best wishes on whatever you choose to do.

Mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#247465 - 08/30/08 03:02 PM Re: what do you guys think? [Re: jf]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
jf, i get a sense that you have a propensity for wanderlust built in to your personality. first a 2 month backpacking excursion to europe, now a desire to move to australia for medical school. it's probably time for you to move out of the nest, and focus on your own future. by all means go for it!

i don't see it so much as an escape attempt, but more as an embrace of your true need to live more spontaneously, and i get a sense you'll have no problem building a support community no matter where you go.

but remember, as they say : 'no matter where you go, there you are', so stay in touch with us, and continue to seek out others who can help you share the weight of this burden we all share.

looking forward to some good reports from you,

your brother in recovery,

ron

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.