Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beyond Abuse (51), dona (55), JoMiFa (35), norbrill1 (62), RubyRoberts (62)
Who's Online
7 registered (PhoenixRising, mike1965, 4 invisible), 53 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63109 Topics
441328 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#279746 - 03/16/09 09:31 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: edward]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Hi Edward:

Welcome to MS. Glad that you found us. I have a box of Chantix here, which I am going to try when I run out of patches. I quit once for 7 months using a combination of the patch, chewing the gum, and continuing to smoke a few puffs here and there when my stress level got to be too much.

Did you have any side-effects with Chantix?

Mark

#279795 - 03/17/09 08:32 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Trucker51]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Hi Edward,

I too have heard great stuff about Chantix. I work with a guy who was a true chain smoker, 3 or 4 packs a day. He fully quit within a month with Chantix.

#279857 - 03/17/09 07:18 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Riley]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
Guys,

Like with everything the hardest part is to stay smoke free once you quit. You have to address the underlying issues that caused you to use that particular substances in the first place. Until this is addressed you will return to that substances or a different one.
True of all addictions.

Mike
Smoke Free since 1979.
Alcohol and drug free since 1989

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#280024 - 03/19/09 05:00 AM ... [Re: Trucker51]
St3v3n Offline

#280216 - 03/20/09 09:36 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: edward]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
I feel the need to elaborate.

I guess what makes quitting so hard for me, is that some of my co-workers
think it is their god given right to smoke in our job shack (the only building on the job site that has heat).

That being said, with the state and fedral taxes being levied, a pack of ciggarettes (on this island) is over $10.

This unexpected...ludicras type of overpricing/taxing has inspired me to redoubling my efforts in quitting.

If I make it to the pillow...Today I will have FIVE WHOLE DAYS.

This may not sound like much...but when your doing it...one minute at at time...

Fighting in the war...

The Empty World (The Cure)

island

#280225 - 03/21/09 12:12 AM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: 1islandboy]
Riley Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK, I wasn`t going to go here but something enticed me to tease the idea of quitting. First off, conrats islandboy, the one time I tried quitting I made it 3 days before I lit up a cigarette. Good mentality, minute by minute.

I was heading down a very bad road a few years ago with alcohol and narcotics but I was able to catch myself before things really got out of control and stopped drinking hard liquor and taking any kind of narcotic. So I do have an idea about beating addictions.

I have smoked probably 10-15 cigarettes a day for about 5 years now. I smoke for primarily two reasons now: to reduce stress and I primarily work outside with smokers. If it matters, I grew up in a smoke friendly environment: mom, dad, uncles, brother, friends, neighbors, pretty much everybody I knew/know smoked/smokes.

Right now the stress it reduces out weighs the detriment to my health. In some ways I want to quit but I dont really know why. It is going to be difficult because I am around it all day, everyday. If I decide to quit I need a real reason, not the detrimental health reasons because as I said the stress it reduces out weighs that. I feel like if somebody can prove to me that it is really for the better I will be able to, so, please, give me your best shots. Why did you guys quite?

Edited by Riley (03/21/09 12:14 AM)

#280337 - 03/21/09 10:10 PM Re: Quitting smoking [Re: Riley]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Riley,

I've smoked between one and two packs a day @25yrs and I now have emphysema. This didn't happen overnight...more like a constant barrage that added up to accumalative damage. Fact of the math is, there are a lot of variables... exposure to second hand smoke, smog and toxic chemicals to name a few.

I can't prove, nor am I out to prove anything...the writing is on the wall...and odds are eventually stacked against you.

I will share that I know someone (in the program) who is breathing on one lung and has terminal cancer. I can't prove smoking had anything to do with it, as there are people who get lung cancer and have not smoked a day in their life. This person smoked a lot...for a long duration of time...

I am not here to force my opinions, so please draw your own conclusions...

...but if you want my best shot ---

I have intimate knowledge that smoking leads to erectile dysfunction... (period)

Harmonica - Killing me softly with his song - Flack

island

#280349 - 03/22/09 12:54 AM . [Re: 1islandboy]
GoFigure12 Offline

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.