Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
5 registered (aniceguy, PMGNT, I Want 2 Thrive, 2 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63373 Topics
443143 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#245894 - 08/20/08 06:28 PM Re: False memory research - new [Re: mogigo]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mike,

I'm somewhat with you on these things. Thankfully I have some independent verification of some of the abuse events or I'd think I might be 'round the bend so to speak. I know absolutely what you mean, and I'm sorry it's like it is for you.

Lots of love,

John

#245902 - 08/20/08 06:53 PM Re: False memory research - new [Re: WalkingSouth]
mogigo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Colorado
Thank you John, missed you Mod's, need you guy's

Sorry

Stay strong
Mike

#245920 - 08/20/08 08:45 PM Re: False memory research - new [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
being one with almost no memories - i have often feared the "false memory" syndrome. i don't need to suffer from things that never happened - much less lose relationships because of deeds never done.

if anything, i guess i'm more prone to not believe it, at least at first. but sometimes a piece will hit me with such force ... it's kinda hard to ignore.

this is why i'm glad my T and i are working on my present - my "now". learning to stay grounded - stay in the moment. my issues usually start with strong, unexpected reactions or emotions. if i can learn to just "be" with them, maybe i can get a better grip on where they are rooted. even if i never get the memories back - i'll accept getting my life back.

#245922 - 08/20/08 08:52 PM Re: False memory research - new [Re: mogigo]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Again, guys... this is a summary of an article published elsewhere. I try to include the original source of the article when I put something up that may be worth checking out. Don't take the summary at face. It's like asking a movie viewer what he thought about a new film vs. interviewing the director or someone who was involved with the production.

The greater value may be found from those involved with the project. In this case, the consumer of the movie is perhaps equivalent to the reader of a blurb like this. We just don't have all the information. If you can get a copy of the whole article, you will have more info.

So, bottom line... don't read too much into it, particularly with your own more serious memories, especially those that are tramautic for you.

#245961 - 08/21/08 04:18 AM A BUNCH OF BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Re: mogigo]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
If OLD memory is suspect as WEAK or QUESTIONABLE, one might ask how is it we actively remember and retain what we learned in the first grade of school...actually in kindergarten.

Research summaries such as these are dangerously broad and frequently drafted by Public Relations staff at best, or an agendized politico at worst.

As members of the public, we cannot scrutinize methodology nor can we even determine if this effort was academically peer-reviewed. This is no "article" at all, but rather a press-release that will likely bolster the author's expert witness resume.

Putting a false-mem professional on a witness stand as an expert can be countered SO easily with illustrative examples that any jury member will identify with what's real and what's made-up.

I never forgot! I find all this modern-day thrashing and energy to prove childhood victims wrong nothing more than cheap parlor tricks with deviant motivation...and that's how they should be treated in court and in conversation; as deviant parlor tricks.

LOOK AT WHAT THAT SAME SOURCE CONCLUDES ABOUT ANOTHER CHILDHOOD MEMORY!!!

The Power of Peter Piper: How alliteration enhances poetry, prose, and memory

From nursery rhymes to Shakespearian sonnets, alliterations have always been an important aspect of poetry whether as an interesting aesthetic touch or just as something fun to read. But a recent study suggests that this literary technique is useful not only for poetry but also for memory.

In several experiments, researchers R. Brooke Lea of Macalester College, David N. Rapp of Northwestern University, Andrew Elfenbein and Russell Swinburne Romine of University of Minnesota and Aaron D. Mitchel of the Pennsylvania State University had participants read works of poetry and prose with alliterative sentences to show the importance of repetitive consonants on memory.

Previous studies have shown that alliteration can act as a better tool for memory than both imagery and meaning, however the reason for this has never been established. In their experiments the researchers hoped to demonstrate that alliterations retrieve similar sounding words and phrases from a person’s memory, making it a useful tool for poetry comprehension and memorization.

In one experiment, a group of participants read aloud poems with similar alliterative sounds throughout it while other participants had to read aloud poems with either different alliterative sounds or no alliterations at all. A second experiment had the same conditions, except that participants read a series of poems silently. The final experiment had participants read a work of narrative prose, also with the same conditions in regards to alliterative sounds in the literature. In each experiment, participants had to recall both content and thematic aspects from the works that they read.

The results of all three experiments underscore the interaction between alliteration and memory. In each of the experiments, participants in the same-alliteration condition were able to recall the most from the literature they read.

“In our experiments, concepts presented early in a poem (or prose passage) were more available when alliterative sounds overlapped between lines than when there was no overlap,” the researchers reported.

Additionally, the results of the other experiments, published in the July issue of Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, show that alliteration’s affect on memory is not lessened by either the type of work it is used in or whether or not the literature is read silently or aloud. Most importantly, the results demonstrate alliteration only works as a tool for memory when the alliterative sounds are similar; while the participants in the same-alliteration condition did well in each experiment, those in the other two conditions had similar, less impressive results.

Author Contact: R. Brooke Lea lea@macalester.edu

**********TRIGGER WARN**************

So some clever alliteration can drill into your childhood head...but a bodily invasion and bloody underwear???....not so much. Why are we looking so frekin hard to prove the raped 10yo wrong?

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#246182 - 08/22/08 03:24 PM Re: False memory research - new [Re: Ken Singer, LCSW]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Ken, I love this stuff, and I don't need suggestive memory therapy from anybody.
There is so much of it about today with the media suggesting that everyone is not to be trusted (terrorists et-al).

Mapping memory fragments is pretty tough, when working with your
own mind. Nobody should suspect that these memories are false.
Abuse causes fragmentation, just like a hard disk.
The only difference is that the wiring is damaged, which leads to
difficulty putting the fragments together.

I am lucky to be able to relate to good memory which for some reason is not fragmented, but it took me years to put the other fragments together, but they are real, and not perceived events, and nobody should ignore those fragmented memories,,

ste

#246203 - 08/22/08 09:56 PM Re: False memory research - new [Re: mogigo]
River Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Nashville,Tennessee
Sigh...

I have begun to rethink some of the stuff that came up in my EMDR. I should say, the "details."

However, the feelings and emotions remain very real and I accept that I may never know all of the true details. My body and my emotions tell me that something really horrible happened. The details of the abuse is not as important as the emotions, feelings.... the terror that I experienced.

Does that make any sense or ring true for anyone else?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.