Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
6 registered (petercorbett, john22, 4 invisible), 15 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443025 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#245565 - 08/19/08 01:59 PM Ignore feature?
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
I have never used ignore and it's not something I like to think about but at the same time, here on MS I find that my vulnerability is a lot higher and certain personalities/attitudes or whatever can be so triggering for me that rather than blow up at them which isn't good for them or me, it might be better
just to not see such people for a while.

I don't consider it a problem for the mods or for MS at all..it's strictly my own personal reactions particular to me and my own set of issues and I just want to protect people who seem to show a trend of unknowingly triggering me from my emotional and probably irrational reactions.

Let's face it, it's easy to misplace anger when your talking about this kind of stuff. I'm doing it more than I'm comfortable with right now and want to stop.

Is this feature available on MS? And could someone instruct me how it's used?

I'm still not sure that's the solution right now, but it might be for now. I guess the public side of MS would be PMS. Maybe it's my male PMS! lol
Doug

#245571 - 08/19/08 02:26 PM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: blueshift]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
On one of their posts you click their name ----> view profile ---> "ignore this user."

#245593 - 08/19/08 04:52 PM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: AndyJB2005]
blueshift Offline

Loc: infinity
Gotcha. er, I mean..got IT!lol (don't worry it wasn't YOU I was going to ignore! he he) Thanx

#245599 - 08/19/08 05:18 PM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: blueshift]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Is nice, because you will not see any content of their posts, and they can not send to you PM neither. So for persons who really are triggering or upsetting in any way, the 'ignore' really do good job I think.

Andrei

#247069 - 08/28/08 02:40 PM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: ak]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Glad this came up. Made me feel better to know I could block/ignore a few that wuz makin me feel stinky. Felt empowering.

Maybe I am growing in all this and being able to better take care of myself.

#247211 - 08/29/08 05:53 AM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: JustScott]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Doug, and everyone,

Yes, all users have the ability to ignore or block any other user, and if you feel that contact with anyone else here isn't good for you, then by all means use this feature.

Scott refers to how empowering this felt when he knew he could do this, and that's exactly what you're doing. It's also exactly what you should do if contact with some other user has a negative effect on you.

Remember that you should be here FIRST for yourself. Not for others. It's great to reach out to others if and when you feel able to do so, but your own recovery should be your first objective.

It isn't selfish at all to think like this. As abused boys we got the message over and over again that we count for nothing; now it's time to reject that message and make ourselves a priority. As things get better you will find there's plenty of opportunity to reach out and help others, but remember that you can't be strong for others unless you can first be strong for yourself.

And if you find that someone else has put you on ignore or has blocked you, try not to take that personally. We all come here with our own issues, and also with our own limitations as to what we can and can't handle. We have to own those limitations and work within them, and we all have every right to ask others to honor these boundaries.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#247373 - 08/30/08 02:13 AM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: roadrunner]
1islandboy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: washington
Just when I decide to ignore someone, They will probably say something that I NEED to hear.

I believe great consideration must be taken, in order to use this feature wisely.

island

#247435 - 08/30/08 12:11 PM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: 1islandboy]
AndyJB2005 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Saint Paul, Minnesota
I agree...never thought of it that way, islandboy. \:\) Very smart. \:\)

It is kind of a passive-aggressive feature, too, isn't it?

#247453 - 08/30/08 02:28 PM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: 1islandboy]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
yes in many cases that may be true; if someone consistently gets 'on your nerves' then it may be time to fire your therapist. hahaha!

ron

#247456 - 08/30/08 02:34 PM Re: Ignore feature? [Re: 1islandboy]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: 1islandboy
Just when I decide to ignore someone, They will probably say something that I NEED to hear.

I do not know so much of this. I have only used 'ignore' on chat on one person, and on board with one person, and at that point, I think I had quite given up on hearing anything from either of them that I 'need' to hear. If either of them had then spoken such wise words, I think I probably would not have been able to receive them anyway. Such 'breakthrough' moments I think can also occur more easy with people we are not resistent to or feel bullied or angered by. If it is something I 'need' to hear, I trust that it will be said again by someone I am able to hear it from.

andrei

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.