Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
3 registered (hike1972, 2 invisible), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63415 Topics
443365 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#245542 - 08/19/08 12:17 PM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: conflicted]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Perhaps. Depending on time etc.

#245583 - 08/19/08 03:40 PM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: FormerTexan]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
hi andy, this is a tough subject.

first comment i wanted to make is that i am not sure i understand the comparison between the mo's chat and the and the healing circle suggested here. i would understand the comparison better had the mo's chat been conceived as an attempt to create a space where a particular perspective could be reinforced to the exclusion of others. but that was never the case. anyone was always welcome. the mo's chatroom was never made private. comparing the two is like comparing oranges to apples [sorry about the fruit metaphor, purely coincidental!]

the mo's chat was available to provide a safe supportive environment where people could feel free to be themselves [often indulged in highest camp form] without fear of judgment or homophobic repercussions. anyone who was comfortable in their own skin being around a buncha flaming queens was most welcome!

on the other hand, what purpose within the aegis of the organization at large is served in having a 'christian' healing circle when no two people can agree on what it means to be christian in the first place? it seems to me that creating such a space will just pander to the sense of black and white fundamentalism that is critical of any belief system that does not concur with new testament dictates.

the gay issue notwithstanding, as a man surviving the trauma of sexual abuse, an organization that supports bigotry in the realm of religious belief cannot continue to receive my vote of support.

Quote:
The only problem I might see is making it an "official" announcement (apart from simply making this thread for discussion. By official announcement, I refer to the "sticky posts" that say "new healing circle forming."), for it could come across as over-exclusionary.

yes, in my mind, labeling anything 'christian' immediately conjures up visions of disparaging exclusionary glances toward those who do not subscribe to that particular belief system. not specifically because of the moral, but also in a sense, the theological elitism that is associated, in the minds of many 'christians' who have built their identities on the notion that some how they are 'saved' and other are not; that they somehow have been admitted in the realm of the righteous.

and where does that leave the rest of us in their eyes?

just speaking on my own behalf,

your brother in recovery,

ron

#245604 - 08/19/08 05:44 PM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: Sans Logos]
terpprm Offline

Loc: Elyria, Ohio
okay, i don't have time to thoroughly read through the thread, but i can certainly take into thought what Ron has said, and i had already considered basically making it, not so much a healing circle, but a specified time of gathering such as, mo's on a mission. i am feeling that this would be our better option, but, if everyone prefers the healing circle, then i can go that route too. i just think that us christians have a lot that we can share with each other, to know, that, with our beliefs, we are not alone in the world. thank you ron for voicing your opinion, and Andy for "standing" for my cause! both mean a lot to me! even though it sounds crazy! lol, and yes bill, i smiled :-)

Philip.

#245642 - 08/19/08 09:47 PM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: conflicted]
Pete2004 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina
Guys, I think this is a great idea. For some, our recovery can not be separated from our Faith belief system. It is very difficult to discuss the collision of our belief system with the realities of acting out, in the public forums. We need a safe place where we can discuss these issues, live, and without concern of triggering massive reactions from those who may have been severely damaged by the church or disagree with our approach to recovery. If we openly discuss these struggles in the Lounge Chat, I have witnessed nasty arguments, hurt feelings, or expressions of we are 'taking over' or we are trying to evangelize or we are being exclusive or other guys feeling excluded because we are spending time sending PM's instead of chatting.

I have met enough guys in chat, who tell me through these PM's that they are struggling with the difficult intersections of their Faith and abuse issues that a CHC could be helpful. Unforgiveness is just the tip of the iceberg. There are men here, who act out or have urges to act out due to the affects of abuse, who struggle with same sex attractions and find peace in their Faith and desire to live lives in accordance with the>
comes back into our own. (Edwin Markham)

#245651 - 08/19/08 10:41 PM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: Pete2004]
terpprm Offline

thank you pete, i was trying to think of how to word that without sounding, uh, prejudice? if i can use that word loosely? but God sent someone else too!

Philip

#245664 - 08/19/08 11:17 PM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: terpprm]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I don't know Ron. I've met some atheists on here who are comfortable around the Christian-inclined, and I've met some who are completely disdainful toward such thought. I think that just depends on the person. I wouldn't expect many atheists to want to be involved in this particular endeavor.

"on the other hand, what purpose within the aegis of the organization at large is served in having a 'christian' healing circle when no two people can agree on what it means to be christian in the first place? it seems to me that creating such a space will just pander to the sense of black and white fundamentalism that is critical of any belief system that does not concur with new testament dictates. "

Wouldn't that be up to those participating to agree upon? I attend a local support organization that is Christian-inclined. People from various beliefs and churches attend there, and there is little or no friction since the purpose is focused on recovery, not on theological debates. Again I ask, what is wrong with some people creating their own chat room and talking amongst themselves there? It happens all the time on this site.

"an organization that supports bigotry in the realm of religious belief cannot continue to receive my vote of support."

Ok, I'm lost on this one. How is letting some guys have their own private chat, like what happens everyday, promoting bigotry? Accusations of bigotry are a serious charge, not to be mentioned lightly, or taken lightly.

"but also in a sense, the theological elitism that is associated, in the minds of many 'christians' who have built their identities on the notion that some how they are 'saved' and other are not; that they somehow have been admitted in the realm of the righteous. "

Well hold on now. Who is being spoken of here? Is this specifically about certain people on the board, or is this a generalization?

Seeking clarification,

Andy

Edited by FormerTexan (08/19/08 11:32 PM)

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#245674 - 08/19/08 11:48 PM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: FormerTexan]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
I think it's a great idea, Phillip, I hope it comes to being.

#245681 - 08/20/08 12:01 AM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: EGL]
terpprm Offline

thanks Eddie.....i know it will! i have had many replies!!!! it's just a matter of setting a good time and day!!!!! so people can start throwing out suggestions on that!!!!!

Philip

#245693 - 08/20/08 12:35 AM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: terpprm]
HurtinginMD Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cranston, RI
Hey ... you can definitely count me in........... Pete and I were talking about this very idea a few weeks ago.

Derek (HurtinginMD in chat)

#246044 - 08/21/08 04:19 PM Re: New Healing Circle? [Re: HurtinginMD]
terpprm Offline

movin it up

Philip

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.