Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
bluesky (44), Brother B+ (48), emal7717 (53), estuardo (52), kwf777 (56), LeeAnne (30), mapleleafsn (52), otherside (61), ronnie (59), Scott1962 (52), thrive-n-survive (42), tom3065 (36)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 11 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63561 Topics
444084 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#245213 - 08/17/08 04:54 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: Sans Logos]
dangal Offline
New Here

Loc: seattle area
I as well LOVE the Olympics.
I did ponder the original question and have to admit it took me back to some things my husband has said over the years. He loves sports, really, truly loves sports. He loved to play basketball and football but only did them in the neighborhood or the Y. He has said he wished that he had more self esteem as a child, he wished he had had some encouragement at some point because his one huge regret was not playing football in school.

He admitted these things to me prior to me knowing about the csa. I knew his mom was a worthless drunk who couldn't see past a bottle of wine, let alone to see what her child needed or what he could have been with the right direction......His abuser was all consuming and so connected to his life and family, I now wonder what amazing things he could have done if he'd have been free of all that held him so firmly down......

These feelings don't seem to stop his love for sports and watching at all...sometimes it drives me mad LOL, but I've learned to love football so I can enjoy it with him instead of pouting in the next room. Seems to help many things. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

\:\)

P.S. He's done some amazing things in spite of it all as well!

#245215 - 08/17/08 05:10 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: dangal]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
yes, dangal

your thoughts about your husband and sports help to understand what I meant in the original question.

I could/should have focused on things I do well rather than pick on myself in an area where I never shined.

Puffer

#245241 - 08/17/08 07:11 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: pufferfish]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
I play both baseball and football as a kid.
My father was my coach in baseball and I hated it because my father was all about winning.
Not only did I hear about my mistakes and what I needed to improve on the field but he would bring it home too.
I always felt a tremous pressure to play up to his expections.
This took all the joy out of the game for me.

As for football he just took me to practice and let me play.
I love football to this day!
Go Pats!!!

I love watching the Olympics.
I admire their dedication to their sports.
Similar to the dedication the guys here have to their recovery.

mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#245244 - 08/17/08 07:24 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: michael banks]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

Maybe for me, I can really respect the dedication to training those sports these athletes show. I know that it is many years of very hard work, and much of time, there is very little financial support or reward by the time these athletes make it to Olympics. Yes, there will be some in more 'high profile' sports that get some sponsers or such, and of course the several sports where professional athletes play them. But for most the athletes you see at the Olympic games, they have spend many hours a day, for many years, to train at their sport, as well as to go to school, to work, to try to support themself, all because they want that feeling to do what they love and have passion for in the highest elite way possible. It is difficult to explain, for me what it feel like to think such a competition is possible, but I can very much relate to the work, the injury, the sacrifices made to reach that level, as well as the positive of it also.

Andrei

#245379 - 08/18/08 12:57 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: ak]
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

As a former 'elite' athlete, I can say that I regret not having had possibility to go to them myself. When you are at the level that you should be able to make it to there, and miss your opportunity, I think there is always going to be the desire that it could have been different. It is what you have dedicate a large part of your life to, much work, much pain, much re-prioritizing things in your life for many years, and to fall short of that goal, it can be a little sad. For people who think it is all just a 'politics' thing, well, I can say that I am quite sure that 95% of the athletes are certainly not thinking that way. Imagine, as you go through years of school, and then perhaps university, and then perhaps medical school, and you are working very hard at that all of that time, all of those years required. Is the 'graduation' considered something political? Do you think people would be all right to go through all of that, and then 'Oh, now you go on with your life, no, you do not get the final stage, move on'? I just rather trust, from the elite athletes I have competed with and worked with, that the desire to reach their ultimate goal is what is satisfying of making it to the Olympic games. Not thoughts of political statements or such.

For me, I have much respect for all those who are competing there, except for them who have cheated in some way to reach their goal. Because for them, they truly have not reached it, and have perhaps denied it to another person.

VN

#246453 - 08/25/08 01:07 AM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: VN]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

As the Olympics close, here is a very nice story about two of the athletes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing...=yhoo&type=lgns

andrei

#246500 - 08/25/08 02:34 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: ak]
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Encouragement and training can really make a huge difference in life, in terms of success in sport of course, but in other things. However, sometime just the training being available can be enough for some people, who are somehow able to motivate themselves enough to find their own successes and achievements. It would be much nicer for sure for family encouragement, but I have great respect for those strong enough to do it, whether with that or on their own.

(And I'll go on a limb and say I am quite sure there have been Olympians, medalists, and even gold medalists who have histories such as our own. Success and achievement IS possible, whether it is because of the past or in spite of it).

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#254324 - 10/10/08 11:53 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: Leosha]
arronb Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Perth
Top Nine Comments from the Games

1. Weightlifting commentator: 'This is Gregorieva from
Bulgaria . I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it
was amazing.'

2. Dressage commentator: 'This is really a lovely horse and I
speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother.'

3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: 'I owe a lot to my parents, especially
my mother and father.'

4. Boxing Analyst: 'Sure there have been injuries, and even
some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious.'

5. Softball announcer: 'If history repeats itself, I should
think we can expect the same thing again.'

6. Basketball analyst: 'He dribbles a lot and the opposition
doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces.'

7. At the rowing medal ceremony: 'Ah, isn't that nice, the
wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew.'

8. Soccer commentator: 'Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like
they've got eleven Dicks on the field.'

9. Tennis commentator: 'One of the reasons Andy is playing so
well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls
and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?'

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.