Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
3 registered (Jay1946, Sonata1, 1 invisible), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63994 Topics
446677 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#245119 - 08/17/08 12:35 AM Why I am growing a beard
Bewlayb1 Offline

Loc: NYC
Every so often, there seems to be some kind of drastic change. The first, obviously, came with the two years of sexual abuse by a teacher starting at eight.

I grew fat, stopped speaking almost completely, lost my grip on reality, had grotsque nightmares every night and became constantly jittery and nervous. Yet, there was one positive. I went from being one of the worst students in my class to one of the best.

At about fifteen, I starved myself, and I was handsome for the first time since eight. I still rarely talked, but I stopped being made fun of. My art skills dramatically improved. I went to an arts high school, like the "Fame" school, and people were amazed by my paintings.

At about eighteen, I came out to my friends and family. The nightmares ceased. Social skills gradually came to me. I was never a reader, but I read for hours every day. I wrote poetry and short stories. I was still not sane: sometimes, I thought I could predict the future.

At about twenty, I dropped to ninety-six pounds (I'm 5'9'')and had a psychotic episode at college. I thought I had caused a riot at my school and assassins were out to get me. I was admitted to a psychiatric ward for ten days, or so. The spell ended. Within a few months, the madness which had been with me for more than a decade, evaporated. I finished my last term while living with my parents. At twenty-three I moved out.

I feel my world shifting again. The first catalyst, I guess, was finally getting a boyfriend. We met on New Years Eve 2008. We were together for three months. He was older. He bullied me. He told me the sexual abuse was my fault. He didn't want me to see my friends. He often said he had a thing for underage teenagers, at times just being obliviously insensitive, at times to hurt me. I'm not weak. I don't understand how I let myself be treated that way. I broke up with him in early April.

A month and a half ago, one of my best friends committed suicide. He had gotten drunk and had unprotected sex with an HIV infected man a week earlier.

I'm sick of my life. I'm twenty-six and since college my only social life has been going to gay bars. I don't have sex for years at a time. I get drunk and the attention I recieve is like a drug. I look eighteen and I'm attracted to guys who treat me like a child.

After my horrible relationship experience, I've been interested (mildly) in younger men. I talk with them, without learning their age, and they turn out to be twenty-one, or twenty-two. I'm smarter than they are. I feel in control. Yet, it also feels like a different side of the same coin.

Recently, every time I find a man attractive, I grimace. If he finds me attractive, it causes even more torment. It's a gut reaction. It's unconscious. I'm giving up being gay. This wall, which has always been there, preventing me from connecting with a man, has gotten stronger. I can't help it.

I've had one major crush on a woman. She was a lesbian. Secretly, I suspected she had been sexually abused. We flirted a few times. The first time we met, she embraced me so tightly, like a lover. (She was drunk: and kind of crazy, in a wonderful way.) It felt so good. I thought of her constantly and held my pillow at night, imagining I was holding her, even when my boyfriend was beside me. I still think of her.

The memory of her haunts me. I know that I can feel as strongly for a women as I do for a man. I know that sex is not something I'll ever enjoy. I feel like with a women, I won't carry this baggage with me.

Maybe it's my imagination, but since I've grown this beard, I've gotten less looks from men. I don't look like an insecure twink. I look older and more masculine. The girls seem to like it. I find myself flirting with women more often.

I'm not intentionally changing. It's another rollercoaster ride, when, in truth, I prefer calmness, stability. Will I turn straight? I don't know. It's just a possibility. Maybe I'll find a man who is kind to me. Or, maybe in the end, nothing will change, and this confusion, isolation and disillusionment won't lead to something better.

Yet, I'm letting this beard grow. I'm also buying new clothes and on Monday I start a new job.

I don't want to jinx it, but I hope this is the start of a new chapter. That would be great, because after the abuse left me broken, each one has been a little happier than the last.

#245144 - 08/17/08 02:59 AM Re: Why I am growing a beard [Re: Bewlayb1]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Congratulations on another major milestone in your ongoing recovery. Sharing your feelings and experiences here was no small task. One thing is for certain: You will always have our support here at MS no matter what you decide or where your life takes you. I wear a beard too, and had a goatee before that.

All of the best, my man.

Mark

#245155 - 08/17/08 06:38 AM Re: Why I am growing a beard [Re: Trucker51]
DanM Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: So. California
Bewlayb,

I am sure this all seems very confusing to you now... your past attraction to men and your new attraction to women. There was a very interesting article that someone posted a few days ago here on the forums that dealt with this issue. You may want to read it if you haven't already. Also, if you are seeing a therapist, it would be a very good topic to discuss. If not, this might be the time to find one to help you with these issues.

Either way, this seems to be a period of change in your life...I hope it brings the change you are looking for.

Dan

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.