Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 71 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62520 Topics
438134 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#245087 - 08/16/08 08:45 PM Re: Boy Scouts and CSA [Re: BJK]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Bryan,

Originally Posted By: BJK
Larry, I did write a thesis about a year ago that was never printed about child abuse arrest cases. I don't have the thesis handy, and I'm too lazy to do redundant work, but my findings throughout several studies were that the number of arrests in abuse cases is actually much higher than 3.3.%. However, the important number is how many convictions result from those arrests, and that number was less than 10%. Keep in mind...this is a percentage of a percentage, meaning that less than 1% of all abusers are ever convicted of any crime.

Yes, the interpretation of statistics in areas like this is a minefield, and the impression one receives often depends on what questions are being asked.

I'm not surprised that the arrest rate is much higher than 3.3% now. The Abel study is over 20 years old, but I just haven't seen more recent work. It's great you did some thesis work on this and I hope you will publish your results.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#245101 - 08/16/08 09:55 PM Re: Boy Scouts and CSA [Re: roadrunner]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Well, I tried to get an article version of that thesis pusblished in our local newspaper, a newspaper that regularly publishes editorials that I have written. Their response was that the topic matter was too controversial and too far fetched to be believed even though it was well cited. This was about nine months ago.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#251315 - 09/26/08 08:43 PM Re: Boy Scouts and CSA [Re: BJK]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA

Boy Scouts Lawsuit Opens Secret Files

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/28/eveningnews/main3213145.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=3214975n

"The first time I was molested was at the age of either six or seven," Stewart told CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes. "I was molested all the way up until I was 18 years old."

Stewart and his brother Tom were sexually abused by their assistant Scout master.

"The nightmares are still very real, even 25 to 30 years later," Matt said.

Former troop leader Bruce Phelps admitted under oath to having sexual contact with one and then the other.

Allen

pufferfish

#251317 - 09/26/08 08:48 PM Re: Boy Scouts and CSA [Re: pufferfish]
M3 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Central Ohio

#251471 - 09/27/08 03:53 PM Re: Boy Scouts and CSA [Re: M3]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Allen,

Thanks for posting these stories, which I had not seen. But it's a good idea to remember that in many cases the abuse was covered up right at the local level and never got into the BSA central files. We will never know how many boys were harmed - just that it's many more than are recorded in those files.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.