Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443150 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#244690 - 08/15/08 11:21 AM Quitting Coffee
Hauser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: United States
I've heard enough comments from, ummmm, certain people, (you know who you are) about coffee tasting like bitter wood chips and another person (you know who you are) about the time wasted in the morning by a certain coffee drinker (me).

I've been thinking about what these guys have said, and you know what? They're right. Why do I make this holy ritual of making coffee in the morning, and skipping breakfast? Why? It's just plain silly.

For the last.........4 days now, I've only had one cup of coffee PER day. I was drinking 3-4 per morning.

This is my first day totally without it. Instead of using coffe to "get me up and going", I'm going to eat REAL FOOD (oatmeal) for energy.

I just hope the headaches don't come on too bad. Maybe I should go to the store right now and buy an economy sized bottle of Advil.

Wish me luck?

I've lived with about 6 different people in the last 2 years, and NONE of them drunk coffee, especially in the morning. They just "get up" and function. I once thought that that was impossible for me to do, but it was silly to think that. Of COURSE one can function without coffee, it's just a matter of choice. That's all it is.

#244696 - 08/15/08 11:43 AM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: Hauser]
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Hauser,

I'd continue weaning yourself off of it if I were you. When I quit drinking coffee, the headaches were brutal for more than a few days. It takes the body a while to adjust to the caffeine withdrawal; it will, it just takes time and can be unpleasant. I do drink coffee now, 1 small cup in the morning and another between 2-3p.m. I enjoy my coffee, but I'm not dependant on it and since I don't have any other caffeine intake (no soda, tea, etc.) I don't feel badly about it at all.

#244699 - 08/15/08 11:46 AM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: Trish4850]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

I could never give up coffee!! I do love it so. I drink it black, No sugar. Love it!

And yes, the caffine that comes with it is nice too ;-)

#244705 - 08/15/08 12:01 PM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: JustScott]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

I tried to quit caffeine once. Two weeks later, I still felt like I had the flu. I had a can of Mellow Yellow without thinking, and that was the end of that.

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#244715 - 08/15/08 12:17 PM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: Hauser]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
i think the general rule in recovery literature is that it takes 72 hours for both the physical toxins and psychic residue to leave both bodies. after that, the memory is weakened but not totally dispelled. you have to remain on-guard against counter attacks.

when i tried to get off of nicotine 15 years ago, i had a brain storm that i would trade a bad habit [smoking] for a good one [joined a gym]. that gave me a built in method for choosing a whole new lexicon of behaviors where there were no associative triggers waiting to derail me.

after the 72 hour period i was freed.

this was the first time in all the years it attempted to quit that it worked. and i think what really sealed it for me, was that that notion in my head that continually reinforced the thought "i'm a smoker....i'm a smoker' was finally snipped in the bud when i realized that for the first time in a long time, i realized that I COULD BREATHE!

i never went back to smoking, but it did manage to just trade it for involvement in an unnecessary relationship that i finally felt 'worthy of'.

so be careful, that not to substitute something that will not contribute to your health and well being as the forum suggests.

good luck hauser, you can do it, and get on with your life, post coffee!

supportively,

ron

ps, just think of all the extra money you will have for disposable income!

#244731 - 08/15/08 12:40 PM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: Sans Logos]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

My doctor actually stated that physical withdrawl from caffeine can take up to 10 to 14 days because of the fact that the body has to learn to re-stimulate itself in the absense of such a drug. However, he also advised that since I have been actively addicted to caffeine since I was an embryo, it would be wise for me to continue using it. There are no medically certified negative side effects associated with daily caffeine intake used moderately.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#244732 - 08/15/08 12:41 PM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: Sans Logos]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Hauser,

I support your choice to quit coffee. I hope you succeed where I failed.

For me, I choose to acknowledge my dependence on caffeine. I drink my coffee black and barefoot. Strong as I can make it, too. During the day, I switch to soda. When I am on here late at night, it's back to coffee and soda.

But yes, I wish you luck. I hope you see the savings in your wallet too!

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#244750 - 08/15/08 01:34 PM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: LN3(SS)]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Hauser,

My digestive system has improved as I have cut down on coffee.

I also decided that part of my craving for coffee in the morning was simply thirst. I drink a pint of cool water as I walk the dog. Often I don't want coffee, unless I wake up feeling tired.

Puffer

#244805 - 08/15/08 04:52 PM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: pufferfish]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Back in my trucker days I was a Gevalia Cafe Sperl man at home, and ingested as much as several 20 oz. car cups daily along with assorted cans of Red Bull or other energy drinks, plus several 32 oz. sodas, and have also been on a pre>

#244981 - 08/16/08 11:52 AM Re: Quitting Coffee [Re: Trucker51]
Stretch73 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Sea Isle City, NJ
Good fuckin' luck! Better you than me. There's only three liquids I put into my body, coffee, beer, and Irish whiskey, and usually in that order, although I do drink 5-8 pots of coffee a day, spread throughout the day.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.