Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
5 registered (Jay1946, ACRoberts, bluesky, Ken Singer, LCSW, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63361 Topics
443057 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#244361 - 08/13/08 08:40 PM Well that was STUPID!
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2.5 NATO Nations
Took the kids to the pond today to do a little rowing of the boat. That turned into fully-dressed swimming for all of us.

THEN… I saw a water snake and, being a stupid male, decided to take off after it. (see live-shots below). I decided to do my Steve Irwin impression and pick up a water snake (with a stick) in an environment where he/she is most mobile and nimble.

Did you know that water snakes get pissed-off when you try to pick them up with a stick? Yup…they DO! Did you know that a water snake will halt his retreat from a human and turn around and attack yo-ass if you piss him off? Yup…he will! ...i nearly turned the water brown.

After getting some distance between Nippy and I, I followed him to his plants and trees. Once I got there, Nippy had disappeared but I quickly found a shed-skin from what is quite possibly the largest water snake on the planet. I decided to lighten-up on the testosterone and add some brain cells…got the heck out of there.

7 year-old daughter said “well that was stupid,” while eating popcorn watching her poor stupid father.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#244365 - 08/13/08 08:51 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: Still]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Let me guess, Rob....right before you poked him with the stick you said "Hey, watch this!" \:D

#244369 - 08/13/08 09:00 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: EGL]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

NO WAY!!!...........well.....maybe.............

YEAH!!! I DID

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#244371 - 08/13/08 09:02 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: Still]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Reminds me of thinking a classic Boy Thought: "I wonder what happens if ..." \:D

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#244381 - 08/13/08 09:14 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: roadrunner]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

And I never plan to out-grow that either!

...makes my life insurance co. SO happy to hear that.

The Aftermath Video

The Water Buffalo Song

#244391 - 08/13/08 09:34 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: Still]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

You do know that Steve Irwin died, right?

At any rate...I have always been fascinated by snakes. They're not as cute as, say, lizards and salamanders...and definitely not turtles. I still think they are very cool, though. However, I'm also not stupid enough to go chasing after one in its own habitat, either.

I was watching a show on the ten deadliest snakes in the world on Animal Planet the other day. Did you know that over 90% of all reported rattlesnake bites are the result of people trying to capture them?

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#244392 - 08/13/08 09:36 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: BJK]
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Makes you wonder what they planned to do with them once they had them in hand.

"OMG! I'M HOLDING A RATTLESNAKE!!!"

Edited by EGL (08/13/08 09:37 PM)

#244393 - 08/13/08 09:43 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: EGL]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Rattlesnakes are edible, and their skin allegedly makes some very fine boots. I've actually had rattlesnake stew before, back when I was about 8 years old. No one told me what it was, though, until we were done eating. I had "met" that particular rattler at a distance of about ten feet about ten seconds before I learned what a good shot my dad was. He was teaching me how to shoot a rifle that day.

We had an interesting conversation several years afterwards, something worthy of its own thread.

However, that still doesn't explain why people would want to capture rattlers before they are dead.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#244402 - 08/13/08 10:08 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: BJK]
DanM Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: So. California
Robbie,

Some how, I get this strong feeling that you were out of your element out there on the lake. May I ask what you planned on doing once you picked up the snake with the stick? I may be just a dumb city boy, but aren't those snakes dangerous?

Btw, not only is your daughter very astute..."Well that was stupid!"...she is also a very cute kid...you must be a very proud Dad....

Dan

Edited by DanM (08/13/08 10:08 PM)

#244403 - 08/13/08 10:13 PM Re: Well that was STUPID! [Re: BJK]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
I used to be an big Bloom County fan- there was a series of strips involving supposed snakes in the local swimming hole.
I lost the book with it long ago, but it was pretty darn funny...
I remember one where the gang are poised with clubs, sticks, etc. and for three panels, them not moving, while the "narrator" keeps trying to get 'em going:
"Boldly, the fearless snake slaughterers set forth..."
"(ahem) Boldly, the fearless snake slaughterers set forth..."
"I SAID, 'Boldly, the fearless snake slaughterers set for-' 'QUIT RUSHING US!'" or something like that.
I found a pic of Opus flipping out, walloping his fellow snake slaughterers... I believe the previous panel consisted of "SNAKE! ...WHERE?!?"

I also remember when i was around 8, a younger friend and i were in a small field, when we spot a pretty big grass snake (or Smooth Green Snake). He immediately starts chasing it, trying to catch it with his hands, and i kept telling him "Don't just grab it, if you don't pick it up behind the head, it'll bite you!"
Needless to say, he caught the end of the tail, whereupon the snake whipped smartly around, gave him a good nip, and we ended up going back to the house with him crying...

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.