Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443354 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#244002 - 08/11/08 11:45 PM Thoughts on Olympics
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I am enjoying watching the 2008 Olympics.

I have never been very atheletic. I was given the boot from the football team when I was 13.

I had some pangs of distress as I see some of the tremendous winners. I have to deal with my own thoughts: I never had a chance. What could I have done if I had received some encouragement and training?

How do others react to what's going on with the Olympics?

Puffer

#244012 - 08/12/08 01:01 AM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: pufferfish]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
At one time I was really good at both snow and water skiing. If I had the right coaching and an unlimited pocketbook, and hadn't been abused, neglected, and strung-out, I might have been the right stuff to compete in Giant Slalom or Super-G. (I even could have been a classical concert pianist). My main claim to athletic fame was the junior slalom championship on the lake that I grew-up on the summer of 1975, when I made all six buoys with the rope 15 feet off. My closest competitor, a close friend, bought it on the 5th buoy on his run. And back in 1976 & 1977 I won tournaments in professional foosball, and was still rated on the Tour as late as 1983.

Now that I am old enough for the Senior Tour, I am lucky to shoot under 95-100 for 18 holes, though I just tied my best round ever last summer with a score of 86, and shot an 87 round too.

Is hanging-out by the pool at the hotel in Las Vegas an Olympic sport yet?

Keep dreaming, you say?

Mark

#244013 - 08/12/08 01:04 AM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: pufferfish]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Puffer,

You and I have a similar history when it comes to sports. My first grade teacher ridiculed me on the playground in front of all the other kids because I couldn't hit the ball with the bat.

I've always loved the Olympics. I love the diving and gymnastic competitions the best I think. For the winter sports I've always followed the figure skating and ski jumping. Lately they added the snowboarding events which I really like.

It used to be that when I watched the competitions I felt bad that I was never good at anything sporty. I've lately discovered that I had more ability than I thought, which angers me in one sense, but also makes me feel really good about myself as well.

Whatever the case the wife and I are watching everything we possibly have time to watch and are thoroughly enjoying the events.

I hope you are able to process some of this while watching this years Olympics.

Lots of love,

John

#244033 - 08/12/08 07:45 AM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: pufferfish]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
when i was young they 'made' me become part of a little league baseball team. i was terrifed. i also got hit in the face with a baseball. i just wanted to be left alone, but that was one of the rites of passage for boys in my neighborhood.

when i was in the scouts, we would often go to the local high school for swim meets, and people said i swam like a fish. i just liked to swim.

one time i got hit in the nutz with a football, and another time i fell onto the crossbar on my bike. you wouldn't dare be seen riding a girls bike. shouldn't bike's have been made the other way around, with a crossbar on girls' and none on boys'?

i used to love to do cartwheels and backflips but then one day i landed funny on my right hand and was never able to do them ever again.

in high school gym, we had to run around the track......i hated that!

i used to live in trees when i was young.

that's the extent of my experience with athletic stuff. while i marvel at the skill and form and spirit of the athlete, clearly my thread in the fabric of life was to be a musical one.

ron

#244074 - 08/12/08 12:39 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: Sans Logos]
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

My thoughts on the Olympics is that I want to go there, and I hope to make it to there in two years. With not even any chance to win any medal, to just be able to make it to there, would be a great victory over what have happen earlier in childhood. There is something very much like a 'see, I'm not so bad as you tell me I am' about that. And I dare to say it, I would really assume that there is a part of those Olympic athletes who have similar histories to many of us here. There is something very secure and safe in training a sport for some people, and it is a source of 'control' to some, and I can imagine an abused person who seek the discipline and routine of training a sport, rather then to have even more of life out of control.

(My other thoughts on Olympics right now: Kerri Walsh is sexy!! And cheering for Anna Pavlova in women's gymnastics!)

Andrei

#244095 - 08/12/08 02:14 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: ak]
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
I am always amazed by the athletes that compete in the Olympics

the conditioning of their bodies that has to be done to get to the skill level that they are at (no matter what sport or event they are in) is incredible

I was never an Olympic level athlete in anything... (though I never had the encouragment and training that is needed to be at that level)

I am a very good swimmer though - always have been - fish out of water - lol

I did gymanastics all the way through high school - and was pretty darn good at the rings and the high bar (I had zero encouragement from my folks in this sport)

I was also on a local speed skating team (roller skates - not ice skates) untill I joined the military (I trully believe that if I'd have had some encouragement I could have won medals)

Now - I just love to watch these athletes compete - so happy to do what they love to do

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#244105 - 08/12/08 02:43 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: ak]
dgoods Offline

Loc: Richmond area
I was neither here nor there as a kid, athletically; i liked riding bikes, swimming, and pickup games of basketball well enough, but never excelled or took any of it seriously. My one period of sports-lust was informal after-school tackle football in eighth grade (age 13).

No pads, helmets, adult supervision, etc. Teams would usually be around 5 on 5, and the guys found out i was evil on defense, especially as linebacker/safety. I always could read where the ball was going to go, was very hard to block, and made sure a tackle meant something. I remember one day going out for a pass, and the kid covering me was pretty fast and a little taller, stayed in front of me the whole time. The dingbat QB decided i was open anyway, and the back of the kid covering me's head ended up mashing my upper lip against a front tooth in a way that sliced the lip neatly, to the point of having stuff hanging out- i didn't think it was that bad, i'm telling the other kids "I'll be fine, it's just a cut, some ice for a while and no sweat" while they're getting visibly paler looking at my lip, saying "Go home, you're gonna need stitches, dude!" Needless to say, they were right, and to this day I still have this extra lump on the inside of my lip. After 8th grade, i was far more interested in things like partying to worry about sports of any kind.

As far as the Olympics? It can be fun to keep track of certain events, or watch truly spectacular performances, but all the doping scandals, gossipy drama-mongering, and the fact the Olympics were originally designated "amateur-only" as a surreptitous way of keeping the "riff-raff" or lower class (who could not afford the costs involved with gear, location, or proper training w/o a sponsor) out of the picture, combined to make me less and less fascinated with Olympics-related activity as a whole over the years.

Too bad it's not the only possible recourse for settling international disputes, though.
Let's replace all war with chess boxing matches! (I'm not making the chess boxing part up; go ahead, google it!)
...Well, i think that's enough dgoods-flavored nonsense for this thread. Carry on.

-William Shakespeare, Macbeth, Act IV, Sc. III

#244130 - 08/12/08 04:56 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: dgoods]
Nyjah Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dude...if skateboard/surfing was apart of the olympic's I'd be trying to get in. That'd be awesome if they were!

Phelps=A beast. The guys a freak and built for swimming. It's awesome.

#244238 - 08/13/08 08:42 AM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: Nyjah]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
i havent read all the responses here so i will just jump right in and go against most opinions

the olympics are and always have been a political thing, sure perhaps further back we can call it a power thing but really its political

Olympics can be good, humanitarian things sometimes get sorted out, sure, helps to bring the worlds attention to parts of the world that preferred to be ignored, Hitler stopped killing everybody because he wanted to hold the olympics

Of course there are countries that kill their athletes for losing, or train them and threaten to pull their houses down if they don't win

The olympics severly get on my nerves at the moment, i havent got many tv channels, all that is ever on is people swimming! on like every channel for the last week, i don't want to watch people swim!

also it gets on my nerves because sure athletes train hard, but they are just athletes, i mean, how about pointing a camera at the people doing all the valuable work in the world and giving them medals

i'm not sure quite why world governments consider this show, economics perhaps, but then countries actually lose money for holding the olympics these days, maybe it is the "i am better than you" bullshit that countries like to do, a cold war in sports, but one thing i see through is this lets all have fun and play sports together, that's bullshit put out there to make the general public blind

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#244340 - 08/13/08 06:52 PM Re: Thoughts on Olympics [Re: king tut]
oriolesguy Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
I admire the dedication and discipline. I've competed in the Ironman Triathlon, many marathons and ultra-marathons, road races of all distances and can appreciate those athletes. They have my undying respect, for not only do they have to be athletes, they must ance to politics.

Michael Phelps - a swimming machine
Kerri Walsh - WOW!

oriolesguy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.