Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 44 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63117 Topics
441396 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#243538 - 08/09/08 07:22 PM Going Dark - Aug 10-15
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

I will be at camp from Aug 10-15 and will not have Internet access during this time. I'll see y'all when I get back.

Have fun and be safe.

Mike

#243586 - 08/09/08 08:20 PM Re: Going Dark - Aug 10-15 [Re: Barkabus]
michael banks Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert, Ca
mike,
Hey have a great time!
mike

"IT ought never be forgotten that the past is the parent of the future" John C. Calhoun

WOR Alumni Sequoia 2009

#243602 - 08/09/08 08:47 PM Re: Going Dark - Aug 10-15 [Re: michael banks]
LN3(SS) Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: MD
Mike,

Good Luck and have a blast!

Brian

"When we go into battle, I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead, or alive, we will all come home together." LTG Hal Moore, Jr., USA (Ret.)

#243844 - 08/11/08 12:16 AM Re: Going Dark - Aug 10-15 [Re: LN3(SS)]
Trucker51 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
Talk to you when you get back Mike. Get away from it all and do have some fun.

Mark

#245022 - 08/16/08 01:40 PM Re: Going Dark - Aug 10-15 [Re: Trucker51]
Barkabus Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm back. I got home last night at about 5:30pm(PDT). I was and still am physically and emotionally EXHAUSTED. I haven't slept well in several days including last night and Thursday night I began developing cold symptoms. Fortunately they are subsiding today. I am so glad I went though. Camp was VERY challenging but absolutely awesome. It easily falls into the top five most difficult things I have ever done. From Thursday evening on it was very difficult for me to keep it altogether emotionally. I took time out Thursday night after lights out to go pray in the woods...I was able to let out much of my bottled up emotions as I cried out to God for these kids, so many of which come from such horrible environments.

Assigned to me were two 8 year old boys. The first one, L., seemed to be a "normal", well adjusted, highly energetic boy. It was a joy being L.'s camp counselor. A couple evenings L. asked me if he had been good that day. I told him each time that he had been great. L. was very generous too. He'd give things to the other boys if they wanted them. He even gave his jacket to one of the other boys to use one chilly morning. I was touched by all this. I did not know L.'s background. For some reason his camp application which details each camper's background was not available. L. did say his biological dad was in prison for murder.

The other boy, E., was very challenging. He has been through five foster homes and had developed a tough outer shell that was impenetrable. From his camp application there was a hint that E. had been sexually abused at some point. Although E. did have a lot of fun at camp, the least amount of conflict caused him to withdraw and fall into a passive aggressive rebellion. E. also had difficulty interrelating to the other boys and would often lash out with angry outbursts at them and would tell lies about things other boys at camp had supposedly done. At one point E. said that one of the other boys in the cabin told him he wanted to have sex with his (E.'s) sister who was also at camp. Remember these are 8 year old boys! E.'s lies caused a lot of conflict in our cabin with many other boys. All in all though, E. was engulfed in a loving and affirming environment by all the staff and counselors at camp.

My heart breaks for these kids. I am honored that I had the opportunity to help these kids out in a positive way, if only for five days. I look forward to going again next year.

Mike

Edited by Barkabus (08/17/08 01:33 AM)

#245027 - 08/16/08 02:14 PM Re: Going Dark - Aug 10-15 [Re: Barkabus]
BJK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Unbelievable. Thank you for sharing.

I know when I used to be a co-facilitator as a teen for a support group for children of divorced parents, the hardest part was the few days after coming home. Take care of yourself the next few days. You deserve it.

Bryan

What the world needs now
Is some new words of wisdom
Like la la la la la la la la la.
-David Lowery

Having a friend who will keep a secret for you is worthless compared to a friend who won't keep a secret from you.

#245116 - 08/17/08 12:12 AM Re: Going Dark - Aug 10-15 [Re: BJK]
StartingOver08 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Baltimore
Mike,

your stories and the way you share are always good to take in. Camp seems like it was alot of fun and you were the you ones' light. Having someone to look up to and learn from is the best feeling in the world. If I was young enough it makes me want to go to camp:) Thanks for sharing! God bless.

Phill

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.